E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > For next winter: warmer and charger option now available

08-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
chatoyer
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

For next winter: warmer and charger option now available

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all,

Just back from my local dealer (Winnipeg, Manitoba) having the VANOS bolts done under recall. Got to chatting with the SA and apparently they have available a new charger and coolant/anti-freezer warmer/heater combination that they are installing on all new cars. They will install on my e90 for CDN$850 plus tax. He claims that the heater raises the temperature of the antifreeze by nearly 20 degrees C (and circulates).

I got by this past winter with just a battery tender, but there were one or two days where it felt awful to just start it.

Anyway, 850 plus tax isn't too bad. Seriously considering it.

Just thought I would pass it along for anyone else living in crazy cold climates...
      08-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
e90Cam
Captain

Drives: e90 LCI

Send a message via Skype™ to e90Cam
Fellow Canadian, I heard of it, but I thought it was just another scam from the dealership. I personally don't think i'll need it because I survived last winter perfectly, no start-up issues for me. $850 can be used on other things
e90Cam is offline   Canada
      08-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
DJtoad
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

The primary purpose of coolant heaters is shorten the time it takes to get warm air into the cabin; however in areas where it gets extremely cold, it can also eliminate the chances of a cracked block due to weak coolant (too much water) freezing. If you want to reduce engine wear and hard starting conditions due to extremely low temps, you need to get a block heater. Unlike a coolant heater, a block heater will warm up the oil in the pan.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 Stage 3, BMS DCIs, BMS OCC, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
      08-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
chatoyer
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Cam View Post
Fellow Canadian, I heard of it, but I thought it was just another scam from the dealership. I personally don't think i'll need it because I survived last winter perfectly, no start-up issues for me. $850 can be used on other things
Thought did cross my mind! I could survive a 'typical' GTA winter no problem (lived there for five years) but damn cold here in the prairies!
      08-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
chatoyer
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJtoad View Post
The primary purpose of coolant heaters is shorten the time it takes to get warm air into the cabin; however in areas where it gets extremely cold, it can also eliminate the chances of a cracked block due to weak coolant (too much water) freezing. If you want to reduce engine wear and hard starting conditions due to extremely low temps, you need to get a block heater. Unlike a coolant heater, a block heater will warm up the oil in the pan.
Agree, but block heater not an option in e90s from everything I've read and have been told by SAs (including today). Oil pan heater IS an option, however. The kind that sticks on...
      08-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Everything is better in Canada- hell, they even get their VANOS bolts swapped faster than us!
Dark_Knight_335 is online now   United_States
      08-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
chatoyer
Private First Class

I've only ever received one letter - the one saying "It's needs doing, but no parts. Wait for a second letter." Not remembering that it said "wait for the second letter when we get parts", I called a week ago and asked if they had the parts. They did, so I made an appointment.
      08-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
Kernel Kurtz
Lieutenant

Drives: '11 e90 335xi SE 6mt

You can get an inline heater installed for far less than that. $850 is ridiculous.

I've had some battery issues with my car. I had regular "Increased battery discharge" messages in the winter, and on Canada day long weekend I went out one morning and the car was stone dead in my garage. Called roadside assistance and they showed up in about half an hour and it started no problem with a boost.

The dealership tested my battery and charging system and say they are OK, but after looking at my stored "driving profile" (anybody know what that actually consists of?), they said I just make too many short trips and my battery rarely gets a chance to charge fully.

I have a charger that I have used in the winter....never thought it would be a problem in the summer, but now I just throw the charger on once a week or so just to be safe. Also bought a booster pack to keep in my trunk "just in case".
      08-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
chatoyer
Private First Class

Hi Kernel - did you install an inline heater? Or I seem to recall you tried an oil pan heater, am I right?

Sorry to hear about you battery issues. Mine is on a tender all the time when at home. In fact, when my OEM unit kicked it a few months ago and I picked up the exact same Deltran-branded unit from Canadian Tire for $70 or so. It's not (yet) mounted inside the engine bay, but I probably will before winter hits in...what... September?
      08-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
Kernel Kurtz
Lieutenant

Drives: '11 e90 335xi SE 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatoyer View Post
Hi Kernel - did you install an inline heater? Or I seem to recall you tried an oil pan heater, am I right?
Hi again Chatoyer,

No, I'm not using any heater as of yet. My previous 2 BMWs never had any issues with the battery or starting in the winter. Not sure why this one is more finicky, but the one time it didn't start was in the summer, so I don't think it's all about temperature.

I've removed the charger from under the hood because I wash the engine bay now and then and I don't think it was intended to be waterproof, but I put clamps on it and use it more regularly now. We'll see how that goes going forward. The booster pack does give me some peace of mind that if one day in the future it does not start I won't have to wait for roadside assistance (though to be fair they were pretty fast to respond).

Canadian Tire currently has their 1400 amp booster on sale for $119 - $70 off.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mo...l#.U-qZZchn26M

I'm expecting the current weather to keep up until November at least :-)
      08-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
stormtrooper7
Private

Drives: 2006 330i

This car is an absolute nightmare to drive in the winter! You never know when you'll get the check engine light/limp mode because the throttle body/sensor decides to freeze.
      08-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #12
e90Cam
Captain

Drives: e90 LCI

Send a message via Skype™ to e90Cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtrooper7 View Post
This car is an absolute nightmare to drive in the winter! You never know when you'll get the check engine light/limp mode because the throttle body/sensor decides to freeze.
Actually it was better for me than my FWD cars, the only thing that scares me is whenever I pull out of my garage and start driving I hear the 'GONG'! Scares me shitless every winter, but its just my car reminding me it's fucking cold out there.
e90Cam is offline   Canada
      08-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
dassub
Captain

Drives: '06 325i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtrooper7 View Post
+1, I had issues once a month over our brutal winter last year, all of which were solved by the car warming up, or topping up the battery on a tender. This car HATES winters.
dassub is offline   Canada
      08-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
chatoyer
Private First Class

Hmmm... Mine was on a tender all last winter and didn't have any probs starting. That, plus the new Blizzak LM25 winter tires made for what I consider the best winter car I've ever had. The XI system is amazing.
      08-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #15
stormtrooper7
Private

Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dassub View Post
+1, I had issues once a month over our brutal winter last year, all of which were solved by the car warming up, or topping up the battery on a tender. This car HATES winters.
That is exactly what I discovered...let the thing warm up! Even though BMW says not to, which is what I was doing. I went as far as taking apart and cleaning my TB, which when apart, was already/still clean.

That "bong" sound will forever haunt me and cause a mini hear palpitation, every damn time!
      08-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #16
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle

Drives: 335i m6t nav sport

Speaking about recalls, can I check if all recalls on my car were done without going to the dealer ?
      08-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #17
chatoyer
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbimmer View Post
Speaking about recalls, can I check if all recalls on my car were done without going to the dealer ?
If you register at My BMW off the main bmw.ca site it should tell you if there are any outstanding recalls.
      Yesterday, 06:13 PM   #18
chatoyer
Private First Class

Just to complete this, I had the above-mentioned heater/battery charging system installed yesterday. Works a treat, but you can't charge the battery without heating the coolant. I'm fairly certain, after an Internet search, that the heater won't cook your coolant in, say, he middle of summer, but I guess we will find out. I can always use my external tender in the summer, I suppose.

Wasn't cheap, but worth it in my view.

EDITED TO ADD: DEFA multicharger 1203 is the unit that was installed (for the sake anyone doing searches in the future), although not sure if that model number covers the inline heater or not. A bit murky.

Last edited by chatoyer; Yesterday at 09:24 PM. Reason: Added details.
      Yesterday, 06:42 PM   #19
Andrewah05
First Lieutenant

Drives: 09 e92 335i TiAg

Winter last year was the harshest i've seen in a while here in the GTA temps in the -40s with windchills, wont't lie the e92 started up everytime but would struggle sometimes, anyone know what kind of temps these cars are tested with at the factory before production?