E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Mac or PC

08-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #111
Comet
Troll Harder

Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Have you 'anti-mac' folks ever used a mac for more then 5 minutes at the Apple store?
yes, my brother has both a mac and PC, and despite always going on about how much better his mac is, the only use it gets is to sync his iCrap and update them

Simply put, I game. That right there removes Mac from my possible list.

bootcamp is not an option for me for the simple fact that why buy a mac if I'm just going to be using Windows to begin with?

Like I said earlier, the fact that I can customize my PC for the use it will be doing is awesome.
my PC from 6 years ago is still with me, not as my primary anymore, but I've recycled and re-purposed it many times.

Also, I recall reading that Windows updates are less frequent than the mac counterpart
I get one windows update per month or so minus the ones that are for windows defender virus definition which I think people just don't understand is different than an actual Windows fix....
      08-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #112
Hawkeye
Brigadier General

Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I've said I like Mac's and have no problem with them, just that they're not for me. Most Mac users on the other hand 9x out of 10x have no idea what they are talking about and think anything that's not a Mac sucks.

Typical Mac User:
OMG, I checked my email on a PC the other day and now I think I got a virus on my Mac.
Pretty much right in line with how I described the typical computer user. It is also the reason that Mac will trump PCs. Dumb people replicate faster than smart people in America...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
gf has them. MB Air and MB Pro.

Hate them. Vile little things.

My elite book has more power, ram, HD space than her pro for a fraction of the price.
Did you pick your girlfriend purely based on what is "under the hood" as well? Or do you agree that that is not all that matters?
Hawkeye is offline   No_Country
      08-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #113
fourier

Drives: Reliant Robin

Quote:
Curious, what Linux distro do you run? I have a couple of Ubuntu workstations at work and laptop, used for work related stuff because it works so well out of the box with Windows enviornments and has most of the apps I prefer to use preinstalled.
I've tried a lot over the years. Debian for a while, mandrake before it became mandriva, Gentoo. I deal with RHEL and Centos administration at work on a ton of servers. I've never used slackware or archlinux though. However, for personal use, now I only use xubuntu, and that solves your unity problem. Xfce is a much lighter and simpler environment, nothing fancy.
      08-23-2012, 01:51 AM   #114
SoCali E36
OOOOWEEEEE!

Drives: 1997 E36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Mac.

You know what's interesting here? Most Mac users say Mac. Most PC users say PC and then for some reason need to justify their answer, or talk crap about the Mac.
Quote:
You know what's interesting here? Most Mac users say Mac, but still need PC to do real work and make $$$.
LMAO!!!

PC for me!
      08-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #115
SoCali E36
OOOOWEEEEE!

Drives: 1997 E36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourier
Quote:
Curious, what Linux distro do you run? I have a couple of Ubuntu workstations at work and laptop, used for work related stuff because it works so well out of the box with Windows enviornments and has most of the apps I prefer to use preinstalled.
I've tried a lot over the years. Debian for a while, mandrake before it became mandriva, Gentoo. I deal with RHEL and Centos administration at work on a ton of servers. I've never used slackware or archlinux though. However, for personal use, now I only use xubuntu, and that solves your unity problem. Xfce is a much lighter and simpler environment, nothing fancy.
lol... wut?
      08-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #116
bluespeed117
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2007 e90 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Mac Pro line has not been updated for over 2 years (besides a very minor processor change very recently). Way to pick the worst and try to make an example out of it. My '06 MacBook Pro was outrunning my friends laptops when I sold it in 2011... so much for being obsolete after 2 years. Oh, and they are ridiculously easy to upgrade. Even if you are talking about components, unless you get one of the new super slim computers with processor and memory soldered into the MB, everything else is easier to upgrade than a PC.

Maybe with a Mac you could have resized that picture and made it more screen friendly.

Im sorry, are you fucking high? The only things I can upgrade on my macbook pro is the ram and HDD. Real fucking amazing... I cant believe how stupid that comment was.
      08-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #117
Brey335i
Brigadier General

Drives: e46 ///M3

Windows when necessary. Linux 70% of the time.
      08-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #118
Hawkeye
Brigadier General

Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespeed117 View Post
Im sorry, are you fucking high? The only things I can upgrade on my macbook pro is the ram and HDD. Real fucking amazing... I cant believe how stupid that comment was.
What (besides what I mentioned) can you not upgrade on your MBP that you could on a PC laptop?
Hawkeye is offline   No_Country
      08-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #119
venom3469
First Lieutenant

Drives: 08 AW/R 6MT 335i, YZF-R6.

If you want top performance and better graphics, go PC. I do love apple though, I own an Iphone and IPad. My 2 cents.
      08-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #120
Chewy734
Major General

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespeed117 View Post
You can also upgrade/remove the optical drive in many cases.

Currently for sale: N/A
Chewy734 is offline   United_States
      08-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #121
FwdFtl
Volcano Knuckles

Drives: E60

Mac = right brain people

PC = left brain people

This is scientifically proven by years of no research.
FwdFtl is offline   United_States