E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 Fuel Filter



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Whit
Private
Whit's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 06' 325i, 09' X5 30i, 67' 912
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nor Cal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
E90 Fuel Filter

OK so I am getting ready to do my 90K maintenance this weekend....
(FYI Water pump, thermostat, and coolant flush were done 3 weeks ago)
Plugs
Coils
Tranny Fluid and Filter
Oil Change
Micro A/C filter
Air Filter
Brake Fluid Flush
Power Steering Fluid Flush
Serpentine Belt

The question is what about the fuel filter? I am so used to changing my fuel filter every few years on EVERY vehicle I have owned but now I find the E90 2006 325i fuel filter has a pressure regulator built in and runs around 2-3 hundred DIY. WTF?I am leaning on the side of preventative maintenance with my 06' (I understand and accept that maintenance on these cars is more than the usual DD) but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a $250 fuel filter.
Opinions/experiences?

Oh and a Matte Black Grill, Matte Badge, and springs...that is maintenance stuff right?
__________________
Whit
Northern Nor Cal
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Wires
Captain
9
Rep
937
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

Is it actually a filter, or a strainer?

I know on my 08 GMC 1/2 ton, GM removed the filter all together (I have a hard time understanding how fuel injectors with tiny holes and a fuel pump with no filter actually make sense).
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Whit
Private
Whit's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 06' 325i, 09' X5 30i, 67' 912
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nor Cal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Is it actually a filter, or a strainer?

I know on my 08 GMC 1/2 ton, GM removed the filter all together (I have a hard time understanding how fuel injectors with tiny holes and a fuel pump with no filter actually make sense).
Yep pretty sure its a filter...this is from Turner Motorsports...Dealer was additional $75+

OEM fuel filter (with fuel pressure regulator) (16117163295), Add $209.95 (USD

I have seen it is accessed under the rear seat...
__________________
Whit
Northern Nor Cal
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
BOBKUR
Major
13
Rep
1,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E 90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CALIFORNIA

iTrader: (2)

You replace the fuel pump, it is one unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,710
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Man you're not shy about spending money. Why would you replace the coils if they are operating correctly? And why would you not wait until the WP or T-stat starts to go before replacing it?

The fuel filter is not a preventative maintenance item in these cars. I've run approxiamtely 6,900 gallons of fuel through mine and have yet to replace it and my car is running perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Whit
Private
Whit's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 06' 325i, 09' X5 30i, 67' 912
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nor Cal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Man you're not shy about spending money. Why would you replace the coils if they are operating correctly? And why would you not wait until the WP or T-stat starts to go before replacing it?

The fuel filter is not a preventative maintenance item in these cars. I've run approxiamtely 6,900 gallons of fuel through mine and have yet to replace it and my car is running perfectly.
Oh no my friend. The water pump DID go out on me. And it went out 3 weeks after my CPO expired Also one coil has already failed...

This is all now just things to make my beloved Monaco Blue last since I plan on keeping her. And this is all DIY so cost is not great but much less than some.

And you have helped with my original question...I DID NOT want to replace my fuel filter because the price was out of this world...but it is such a run of the mill replacement on other vehicles I was looking for some reassurance that I did NOT have to replace it.
__________________
Whit
Northern Nor Cal
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,710
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit View Post
Oh no my friend. The water pump DID go out on me. And it went out 3 weeks after my CPO expired Also one coil has already failed...

This is all now just things to make my beloved Monaco Blue last since I plan on keeping her. And this is all DIY so cost is not great but much less than some.

And you have helped with my original question...I DID NOT want to replace my fuel filter because the price was out of this world...but it is such a run of the mill replacement on other vehicles I was looking for some reassurance that I did NOT have to replace it.
Ah, good I stand corrected. I hope you used the DIY posted in the DIY section. It sounded like you replaced the pump as preventative maintenance. I was weary of the non-preventative maintenance status of the fuel filter, but heck, it's lasted in my car for 185,000 miles with no hint of driveability problems.

Now about the coils...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
Whit
Private
Whit's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 06' 325i, 09' X5 30i, 67' 912
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nor Cal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
it's lasted in my car for 185,000 miles
SWEET! No overpriced fuel filter for me! THANK YOU!!
__________________
Whit
Northern Nor Cal
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST