E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Lag Bog Between Shifts

08-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #23
Ant Anthem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Last edited by Ant Anthem; 12-06-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #24
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: S65B40

This issue virtually disappeared when I swapped to a G5 board (which coincidentally was loaded with the latest G5 7/24/12 firmware)
Now gone
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #25
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
Have any procede owners logged the 3-4 lag/bog? I was just at the strip last week and had all sorts of trouble with the 3-4 shift. 4 would bog/stumble and I was shifting very fast at about 6100rpm.

The last run of the night was my best run and after the 2-3 I had timing flat line to zero for all of 3rd and 4th... (running 16psi on E85, N55 with dp)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #26
drewmeyer87
Chump
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I get the M3-M4 shift bog on my 6AT with Procede rev 2.5. Happens about half of the time, I hate it, car falls flat on it's face.
      08-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #27
slostjoe
NEWBICON
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I complained about this issue and everyone just blamed it on my driving. Which it's not.

I hate this issue and have never had it in any other car. Ever.
      08-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #28
slostjoe
NEWBICON
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostd92
Have any procede owners logged the 3-4 lag/bog? I was just at the strip last week and had all sorts of trouble with the 3-4 shift. 4 would bog/stumble and I was shifting very fast at about 6100rpm.

The last run of the night was my best run and after the 2-3 I had timing flat line to zero for all of 3rd and 4th... (running 16psi on E85, N55 with dp)
This also happened to me last weekend. If you shift fast at all the timing flat lines for all of the next gear. I just would like a solution to this issue it would be amazing to see how fast this car would be if it could be driven hard.

I was considering switching tunes but my brother has this same issue with the procede v5 also. Makes me sad that my Honda was more fun to drive .
      08-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #29
drewmeyer87
Chump
United_States
Rep

Embarrassing... tonight I blew the doors off a 2010 M5, had him by 2 car lengths. It's what came next that made me tear up.

Then, we get off the freeway in mexico and hit a red light, he gave me a thumbs up for beating him and the light turns green, did a 2nd gear launch in DS, shifting to 3rd my car started jerking back and forth, I just kept my foot on the floor and finally 3-4 seconds later it worked itself out. M5, long gone... oh well
      08-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #30
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP e92 335i

I have it too at times its defiantly shift related sometime it happens some times it doesn't. If I try and shift my fastest it happens if you shift to slow it happens! The only way it doesn't happen is if u shift decently fast and make sure your foot came completely off the ass pedal. I believe it happens for a bunch of reasons. Throttle closure even if your foot is slightly on the gas pedal or if you shift to slow, and that there's a sensor that trys to save the transmission from a harsh shift. I hate it! I hope there's a fix in the future. Happened on my procede and on my Cobb. Although it didn't happen with NLS on with the procede the car felt a lot slower with NLS on!
      08-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #31
marcvtec
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
With the Procede, the only time i've seen bogs is when the revs hit the rev limiter during the clutch-in period. This can happen due to the lag between the actual throttle pedal lift and the throttle closure. Or if the driver stays too long on the throttle once the clutch goes in. And once the rev limiter is active, the throttle blade tends to have a mind of its own. Using the NLS relay to trigger an aux rev limit 100rpm below the DME redline is a good solution to this issue. In fact, it's what got my ETs down from 11.0-11.2 to 10.8s. The 1-2 shift, at 25psi of boost, was killing me.

Shiv
So Shiv
Can the 100 rpm rev limit before DME be implemented without NLS, it should be able to achieve or is this the bog fix fix supposedly. I have posted about this issue since the first day. I know you can do it !!!!
COBB Powered, Spec2+, Wavetrac, DCI, Forge DV's, AR catless DP's, AA FMIC, M3 links & Sways, 19' BBS LM's wrapped in PSS, Zimmerman cross drilled rotors, hawk carbon pads, M3 Spoiler, AC roof Spoiler, Aero Lip, Vorsteiner Diffuser, m3 sides, Tinted, And One Happy BMW Driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #32
Ant Anthem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Last edited by Ant Anthem; 12-06-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #33
BoostAddict
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Anthem View Post
I am planning to buy a BMS clutch stop and I will report back. It may be that I am pushing the clutch in too far and thus taking too long to release it.
That won't change anything. It's purely software related.

Maybe since there are a bunch of us bothered by this issue the tuners will spend a little more time trying to find a consistent fix. I think NLS on the procede is good as long as the proper length of ignition cut timing is used. I assume you can alter how long the ignition cut is? I still would like to not bog even when lifting to shift though.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #34
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i nFifty4LiFe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Anthem View Post
I am planning to buy a BMS clutch stop and I will report back. It may be that I am pushing the clutch in too far and thus taking too long to release it.
I think this bog can be alleviated with a driving style change, but I'm not 100% sure. Also, try pushing the clutch just enough to loosen the gear and not necessarily all the way to floor. Please report back with your findings. I'm hoping you'll be able to resolve the issue. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #35
boostd92
Captain
Rep

Garage List
^^ I get it in all different types of shifts (and sometimes not at all).

I've tried power shifting (throttle never closes) and it still happens, I've tried full throttle release, and partial/full clutch release. I can't seem to narrow down what's causing it.

As far as timing flatlining after the shift, I think in my case it was due to high IAT's (175F+)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #36
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
As shiv mentioned, a majority of the issue is running to the rev limiter between the shift. This is one of the reasons some tuners raised the rev limit. It is all software related but changing your shifting style can help if you are having the problem.

Clutch stops and short shifters are not the answer.

Apparently all the tunes can do it but some tunes do it less.

My advice? Log the problem and send to tuner for advice if you think its not your shifting/hitting rev limiter.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #37
boostd92
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Anybody shifting an N55 car in 3rd gear at the rev limiter is an idiot.

I shift at 6k and that's probably too high... I've never come close to the rev limiter.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #38
marcvtec
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostd92 View Post
Anybody shifting an N55 car in 3rd gear at the rev limiter is an idiot.

I shift at 6k and that's probably too high... I've never come close to the rev limiter.
doesn't matter you should be able to bounce off the rev limiter if you want and still be able to have a great shift.
COBB Powered, Spec2+, Wavetrac, DCI, Forge DV's, AR catless DP's, AA FMIC, M3 links & Sways, 19' BBS LM's wrapped in PSS, Zimmerman cross drilled rotors, hawk carbon pads, M3 Spoiler, AC roof Spoiler, Aero Lip, Vorsteiner Diffuser, m3 sides, Tinted, And One Happy BMW Driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #39
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Ok so I had this problem as well so I plugged my JB4 usb cable into my computer and checked all of my settings such as the "fuel open looping", etc and found that a few of my values were different then T's values on N54tech so I changed my values/numbers, saved them and my car has been running flawlessly since. Try this out and hopefully you find that your numbers are different then T's so that you can change them and fix your problem. I hated when my car would die between shifts and give the half engine power light so I know what you're going through. I wouldn't even want to race people cause I was worried about losing all power. Good luck and I hope this helps. If not make a log of your bogs and send it to Terry so he can problem solve for you.
      08-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #40
marcvtec
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

bog bump lol
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #41
slostjoe
NEWBICON
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N
Ok so I had this problem as well so I plugged my JB4 usb cable into my computer and checked all of my settings such as the "fuel open looping", etc and found that a few of my values were different then T's values on N54tech so I changed my values/numbers, saved them and my car has been running flawlessly since. Try this out and hopefully you find that your numbers are different then T's so that you can change them and fix your problem. I hated when my car would die between shifts and give the half engine power light so I know what you're going through. I wouldn't even want to race people cause I was worried about losing all power. Good luck and I hope this helps. If not make a log of your bogs and send it to Terry so he can problem solve for you.
You know this may make it better but the car also did this from the factory so it's not just the tune it is just much more obvious with more power.

This makes me so upset I've stopped driving my car because wether or not people think its driver related its not it is car related. I can't really even race someone because I can't shift fast and it's extremely frustrating.

Maybe someone needs to make a standalone.
      08-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #42
rdeterman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe 6mt

2STEP/NLS is now in final testing for JB4.. i guess we will see how well it works.. firmware should be out in a couple days
      08-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #43
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N
Found also my settings to have been different from T's settings. I emailed him and he said that it's normal they change as they adapt to your mods. I use map 5 btw....mine still bogs
      08-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #44
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisred View Post
Found also my settings to have been different from T's settings. I emailed him and he said that it's normal they change as they adapt to your mods. I use map 5 btw....mine still bogs
One option is to get the G5 upgrade and use the NLS relay. With that you can keep your foot on the gas through the shift. Other than that without a log to see what your exact issue is you are not likely to find any resolution. A bog could be caused by any number of issues.