E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Salt Lake City Tribune: Why examine Romney’s taxes?

08-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
128vertinnoho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 128iC

Salt Lake City Tribune: Why examine Romney’s taxes?

Why examine Romney’s taxes?
By maria magers roberts

. . .

• On his recent trip abroad, Romney skipped Italy, for good reasons. Bain Capital, with Romney as CEO, made about $1 billion in a leveraged (minimal cash outlay – low-risk) buyout of an Italian company. Bloomberg News reported that Bain funneled its profits through subsidiaries in Luxembourg, a common corporate way to avoid taxes in other European countries. The buyer, Italy’s biggest telephone company, now is valued way below what it paid Bain and other investors for the business. The shock waves of this transaction are still felt in Italy.

• In Romney’s self-directed individual retirement account, he used heavy leveraging and a "blocking company," thereby avoiding the "unrelated business income tax" normally imposed on such gains in IRAs. His IRA’s growth to $100 million is astounding in light of contribution limits of $30,000 annually. On its face, the IRA was likely funded in part with stock shares valued well below market.

• Presidential candidates generally avoid betting the U.S. dollar will lose value by speculating in Swiss francs. Yet such speculation was the stated purpose of Romney’s "blind" trust Swiss bank account, which was closed in early 2010. Was the income reported on earlier tax returns? Did Romney timely file disclosure forms to the Treasury Department?

. . .

• Romney’s apparent disdain for tax obligations is clear from his role in Marriott International’s abusive tax shelter activities. From 1993 to 1998, Romney was head of the audit committee of the Marriott board of directors, with responsibilities that included tax planning. The so-called "Son of Boss" tax shelter helped Marriott sell $81 million of mortgage notes, reporting a $71 million "tax loss." Romney was an insider with perspective on the motivation and lack of substance in the transaction, fully understanding the tax avoidance game. Romney reportedly was the board member most familiar with the transaction.

This shelter, used by Marriott and others, represented one of the largest tax-avoidance schemes in history, costing the U.S. billions in lost tax revenues. In 2008, the U.S. Federal Court of Claims ruled against Marriott, which appealed and lost again. The appeals court sided with the Department of Justice, calling Marriott’s transactions "fictitious," "artificial," "spectral," an "illusion" and a "scheme."

. . .

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion...-bain.html.csp

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Oh my God, the sky is falling
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
fokus45
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: little blue dune buggy

I just want to see Barry's Columbia records. Doesn't seem as if Romney has done anything illegal with his taxes due to the fact that the IRS is leaving him alone.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
rgrovr
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi E90

This is like Romney making a statement, "I heard from a reputable source that President Obama beats Michele, the President should provide proof he doesn't beat his wife if the public is to trust him".

Since the Pres wont offer evidence otherwise - then what is he hiding??

Yea - kinda like that.
2008 335xi E90 Black Sapphire -||- PERFORMANCE: JB4 -DCI - AR Catless DPs - Helix FMIC - Forge DVs - KW V3 Suspension - BSH OCC -||- COSMETIC: 19" M3 Reps - OEM Perf. Front - MTech Sides - MTech Rear - OEM CF Spoiler - CF Kidney Grills - LUX H8 - LED Interior Kit - CF Wrap Trim - M3 iDrive Knob
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrovr View Post
This is like Romney making a statement, "I heard from a reputable source that President Obama beats Michele, the President should provide proof he doesn't beat his wife if the public is to trust him".

Since the Pres wont offer evidence otherwise - then what is he hiding??

Yea - kinda like that.
If Romney was hiding something illegal in his tax returns, doesn't everyone think the IRS would have been all over him along time ago?
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #6
OldArmy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Although I know it to be partisan political hackery to ask for them, there could be a good side effect to releasing his records. They will probably show he was always in the low teens for a final tax liability. His creative and totally justified tax avoidance maneuvers might just contribute to a full conversation on reforming the tax system. Like him, I have kept mine in the teens although it takes work. Romney and I (and you?) would gladly give up a higher straight line percentage in exchange for a return that can be done on a 3x5 card.
Appreciate 0