E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Prospective noob buyer E92 335i coupe



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #23
jp330Cic.au
Captain
jp330Cic.au's Avatar
Australia
13
Rep
628
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335DCT / E70 X5 40d
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I don't know, it's a tough choice.
I generally prefer a manual, but I was never happy with the manual in my previous 330.
With the M3's people pay more for a manual than for the SMG.
The low km's on the silver one is tempting.
The auto is a ver good box and based on some of the posts on this forum, they are slightly faster in a straight line.
I would drive them both, that's the only way.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #24
335arctic
Tyrepower North Melbourne
335arctic's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
70
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

If you know where to get parts & services, a 335i shouldn't break your bank. I got my fuel pump from US cost me around $200-$250 landed here in Australia. Another $200 to get it fitted. Check out www.realoem.com, it shows you the all the part numbers so when purchasing parts online you know whether it will fit or not.
__________________
19" 230 Wheels/19" Work Meister S1R - Yokohama Advan AD08 - Stett CAI Intake - M3 strut brace - M3 Rear swaybar - KW V1 - Kraftwerk Tune - ER Charge Pipe - Forge DV's
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #25
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,954
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
If you need me to go kick the tyres for you let me know
I thought you were based in Sydney???

What I will need from you is some goodies, starting with some lux V3's plz!!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #26
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,954
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post
I don't know, it's a tough choice.
I generally prefer a manual, but I was never happy with the manual in my previous 330.
With the M3's people pay more for a manual than for the SMG.
The low km's on the silver one is tempting.
The auto is a ver good box and based on some of the posts on this forum, they are slightly faster in a straight line.
I would drive them both, that's the only way.
Well I struck a deal on the one in melb, and am excited about a stick shift actually the raw communication & feedback you get from the driveline.

Why weren't you happy with the manual box in your 330i may I ask?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:57 AM   #27
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,954
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335arctic View Post
If you know where to get parts & services, a 335i shouldn't break your bank. I got my fuel pump from US cost me around $200-$250 landed here in Australia. Another $200 to get it fitted. Check out www.realoem.com, it shows you the all the part numbers so when purchasing parts online you know whether it will fit or not.
Thats the type of approach I would take for sure, rather then just dropping it off to the bmw dealership and saying please ass rape me.

Is it cheap insurance to just replace the fuel pump with a later model anyhow?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 03:00 AM   #28
pavo335
Banned
pavo335's Avatar
33
Rep
2,981
Posts

 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post
I don't know, it's a tough choice.
I generally prefer a manual, but I was never happy with the manual in my previous 330.
With the M3's people pay more for a manual than for the SMG.
The low km's on the silver one is tempting.
The auto is a ver good box and based on some of the posts on this forum, they are slightly faster in a straight line.
I would drive them both, that's the only way.
Well I struck a deal on the one in melb, and am excited about a stick shift actually the raw communication & feedback you get from the driveline.

Why weren't you happy with the manual box in your 330i may I ask?
Forget that DCT FTW
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #29
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes's Avatar
96
Rep
4,873
Posts


 
Drives: a black car
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
I thought you were based in Sydney???

What I will need from you is some goodies, starting with some lux V3's plz!!
I go to Melbourne frequently... will be down there tomorrow for the weekend!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #30
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,954
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
I go to Melbourne frequently... will be down there tomorrow for the weekend!
Ahh right, shame I didnt have time to get a set of lux's slotted in then as I picked the car up haha

The missus wants to visit a friend @ Preston but yeah I'm not too keen on sitting around, I will want to hit the princes hwy asap!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #31
335arctic
Tyrepower North Melbourne
335arctic's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
70
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Thats the type of approach I would take for sure, rather then just dropping it off to the bmw dealership and saying please ass rape me.

Is it cheap insurance to just replace the fuel pump with a later model anyhow?
I guess you can look it that way, mine only started to play up because I tuned the car & went to track day. None of the engine fault codes shows up during daily drive, even when I put my foot down. When I purchased the fuel pump, it turns out that its the same as a 1M. So I assumed that it can handle a tuned 335.
__________________
19" 230 Wheels/19" Work Meister S1R - Yokohama Advan AD08 - Stett CAI Intake - M3 strut brace - M3 Rear swaybar - KW V1 - Kraftwerk Tune - ER Charge Pipe - Forge DV's
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #32
jp330Cic.au
Captain
jp330Cic.au's Avatar
Australia
13
Rep
628
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335DCT / E70 X5 40d
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post

Why weren't you happy with the manual box in your 330i may I ask?
It was the older 5 speed Getrag gearbox and was a notchy as all hell, with a long throw.
I put a short shifter on it and it then became more and more notchy.

I have a mini cooper and that box is so much nicer, you just want to change gears for the sake of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #33
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,954
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Well I picked up my 335i on Saturday and drove home from Melbourne to Newcastle NSW via the old princes hwy stopping overnight @ Merimbula.

It was a great albeit long drive, especially yesterday as I was up @ 4.45 am to catch a 6am flight down to Melbourne!

I am extremely happy with the car, but hey it can be better! It's totally stock and 100% straight with a full logbook service. Since the owner wasn't the DIY type more so a drop it off @ teh dealer kinda guy there are a few things that need tidying up (swirled paint, rusty/faded paint on the brake rotor hubs & calipers (that is made worse with the design of the wheels as they are extremely exposed) engine bay slighty dusty, wheel wells full of muck and grime etc

I will post up a intro thread tomorrow, but thanks so far to you guys for your help
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #34
Rob32R
Banned
Australia
7
Rep
315
Posts

 
Drives: 530i/VW R32/E70 X5
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Congrats Shane! now get that EST build thread up
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #35
BMJ
Captain
BMJ's Avatar
10
Rep
902
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Well I picked up my 335i on Saturday and drove home from Melbourne to Newcastle NSW via the old princes hwy stopping overnight @ Merimbula.

It was a great albeit long drive, especially yesterday as I was up @ 4.45 am to catch a 6am flight down to Melbourne!

I am extremely happy with the car, but hey it can be better! It's totally stock and 100% straight with a full logbook service. Since the owner wasn't the DIY type more so a drop it off @ teh dealer kinda guy there are a few things that need tidying up (swirled paint, rusty/faded paint on the brake rotor hubs & calipers (that is made worse with the design of the wheels as they are extremely exposed) engine bay slighty dusty, wheel wells full of muck and grime etc

I will post up a intro thread tomorrow, but thanks so far to you guys for your help
congrats on it.. look forward to the pics.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #36
Klaatu
Clean 335i
Klaatu's Avatar
Australia
0
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Just paid deposit on the silver 335i in Pyrmont

Hey DR-JEKL,
Let me know how you go with your grey 335i. I just bought the silver one in Pyrmont. Pick it up this week.
We will have to keep in touch over the coming months.
The silver 335i was absolutely immaculate.
My first BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #37
kaitan
Major
kaitan's Avatar
20
Rep
1,382
Posts

 
Drives: Bus 11 AKA walking
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sydney, australia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
Hey DR-JEKL,
Let me know how you go with your grey 335i. I just bought the silver one in Pyrmont. Pick it up this week.
We will have to keep in touch over the coming months.
The silver 335i was absolutely immaculate.
My first BMW.
Congrats !!!

Dr-JEKL and Klaatu,

Let the mods BEGIN !!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #38
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,954
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
Hey DR-JEKL,
Let me know how you go with your grey 335i. I just bought the silver one in Pyrmont. Pick it up this week.
We will have to keep in touch over the coming months.
The silver 335i was absolutely immaculate.
My first BMW.
That's awesome, I loved your car dude!

At the end of the day I preferred the manual over the AT and the space grey over the silver and the fact it was cheaper but damn yes yours had low kays and looked new, yeah it would be awesome to catch up sometime to have a perve

I have spent the day cleaning my car and its in very good condition for a car thats turning 6 years of age shortly!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #39
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,954
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

So I have a few more questions!

Can I code the car to have the TV on whilst driving?

Can you retrofit the comfort access option?

Can I just buy a ebay lead and plug my Ipod into the aux port in the console?

My rear parker is out, do I have to replace the entire rear housing as I have been told, or can a globe be purchased (the brake light & indicator works fine)? Consulting the handbook, it refers to the parker as #2 and to contact the bmw dealer for rectification....

When washing the car the paint was extremely slick, along with the wheels. The owner wasn’t the DIY type, is it possible the factory paint protection option is still ‘working’ 5 years later?

When I went to start the car tonight a low battery alarm flashed… What replacement battery type is recommended and do you have to code the car after replacing the battery (I read on the 5 series forum that the car required some form of resetting/coding?!?)

The satnav disc is out of date (im thinking it may be the original disc) is it possible to have a burnt copy made of an updated version?

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 08-27-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #40
Rob32R
Banned
Australia
7
Rep
315
Posts

 
Drives: 530i/VW R32/E70 X5
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Hi Shane,

You cannot code the car to have the TV on whilst driving. You will need to by a video in motion unlocker , which is a bunch of cables or disc which isn't cheap. Tbh, retrofitting the comfort access system would be a very expensive job, and I don't think BMW would be able to perform that in their service department. It's usually factory fitted, but I guess it's worth an ask. I'm not too sure on the other questions, someone else will have to chime in
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #41
pavo335
Banned
pavo335's Avatar
33
Rep
2,981
Posts

 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob32R
Hi Shane,

You cannot code the car to have the TV on whilst driving. You will need to by a video in motion unlocker , which is a bunch of cables or disc which isn't cheap. Tbh, retrofitting the comfort access system would be a very expensive job, and I don't think BMW would be able to perform that in their service department. It's usually factory fitted, but I guess it's worth an ask. I'm not too sure on the other questions, someone else will have to chime in
I'm pretty sure you can code tv in motion
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #42
bornadog335i
First Lieutenant
bornadog335i's Avatar
3
Rep
389
Posts

 
Drives: Black MY09 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
So I have a few more questions!

Can I code the car to have the TV on whilst driving? YES

Can I just buy a ebay lead and plug my Ipod into the aux port in the console? yes

The satnav disc is out of date (im thinking it may be the original disc) is it possible to have a burnt copy made of an updated version? YES
Search all the forums and you will get your answers
__________________
M Sports Pack, Sapphire Black, Procede Rev 3, Alpina T3 trans flash, Gloss Black GTC wheels with Michelin 19" PSS, Gloss Black BMW Performance Grill
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:19 AM   #43
_ink
Major
_ink's Avatar
Australia
12
Rep
1,092
Posts

 
Drives: 335i 09' DCT M-Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Can I code the car to have the TV on whilst driving? Yes, speak to memeber mrtanz


Can I just buy a ebay lead and plug my Ipod into the aux port in the console? Yes



The satnav disc is out of date (im thinking it may be the original disc) is it possible to have a burnt copy made of an updated version? Yes, speak to memeber mrtanz
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #44
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,954
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornadog335i View Post
Search all the forums and you will get your answers
Thanks, I did and had read conflicting info e.g some guys mentioned with the i pod y lead, you required an additional module etc
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST