E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Build Log: Matt's FFTEC 335xi E90

11-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
ucsbwsr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E61

Build Log: Matt's FFTEC 335xi E90

Gentlemen,

This winter I am helping my good friend Matt get his E90 back on track. Up to this point there has been a lot of work done by various shops (which will remain name-less), some installs/projects were done right others were not. The attention to detail, or lack thereof on this car, really drives home the importance of having a skilled and trusted mechanic or in my case, doing it yourself! It is a little frustrating to spend time resolving issues that should never exist as they are easily avoided but at the same time I enjoy fixing problems and optimizing systems.

Matt and I have collaborated and made a plan for his car, to make it fast(er)! It is off to a great start with some choice upgrades but now it needs to be massaged into a complete and cohesive build. This is Matt's daily during the summers so it needs to be reliable and functional while eye-peeling fast. Personally I love aesthetics but not at the expense of function, it is often hard to achieve both or even strike a compromise but I enjoy the challenge and the when well executed the end results are awesome. Matt and I see eye-to-eye on this so this should be a fun project.

His car started life with a fairly unique configuration. It is an 2008-build LCI car but still has the N54 (sweet), in addition it is AWD and has 3 pedals! It has gone through a few iterations but here is the mod-list prior to me getting my hands on it.

FFTEC VFF900 (64mm Precision Bottom Mount)
Custom "Filthy Habits Fabrication" Single 3" Valvetronic Exhaust
ER Intercooler
ER Chargepipe (HKS BOV)
ER Competition Oil Coolers
JB4 G5

StopTech Trophy BBK
KW Coilovers
Rotiform Wheels
Toyo R888

As you can see, some nice parts but the fuel system needs to be addressed along with some preventative items, and some handling/drivetrain upgrades. But first the car needs to be running 100% before throwing more power, stress, and heat at it.

Let's begin,
Evan

The best "before" photo that I have

Replaced the unsightly brake-booster line with some heater hose and routed it under the charge pipe, much cleaner

Installed some AFE scoops, these in conjunction with the BMS cowl filters should help cool the engine as the air passing over the engine will extract heat.

BMS cowl filters installed

Oem steering wheel

Found a deal on an M3 wheel (Nappa leather), it was dirty but cleaned up nicely.

During

All cleaned

Detail

Comparison

Did some interior spot cleaning

Armrest

Datalogging via JB4 Mobile

Headlight washer hose popped off and fluid escaped

Ah, hell naw, what's up DOG!

Fog lights and trim deleted, they impeded flow to the oil coolers.

With the fogs and grills in place it was blocking most of the direct airflow to the coolers.

Much better, next will be some shrouds to help guide the air.

The center grill also blocks flow to the intercooler (which sits low) so it was removed as well.

A weeping cooler fitting, it was tightened, cleaned , and I will keep an eye on it.

Headlight washers are in the way, so they got deleted.

Washer hoses were capped and the system can be reinstalled if one chooses to do so

Fog connectors just hanging out

So they were zip-tied out of the way

Fender-liner openings were poorly cut for the oil coolers, driver-side

Passenger side

I used a razor instead of a dremel for a cleaner cut

Weeping KW

My OCD kicked in and I cleaned and straightened all intercooler fins

JB4 usb ran through the firewall

...and into the glove box

With the cowl delete the DME box sticks out like a sore thumb, so I cleaned, prepped, and Plasti-Dipped it black.

TB cleaned up

One of the previous shops said they cleaned the valves, which means that this build up if from <5,000 miles of use. You be the judge...

Appreciate 1
      11-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
zero2sixtyZ
Fighter Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT rickshaw

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [5.00]
Nice progress!

07 E92 335i 6MT | MHD Stg2 v4 93oct | BMS DCI | VRSF DP, FMIC & CP | Advan RS 18" | FA500 Coils + Swift | LUX 160 + Osram CBI
10 MDX | ZDX 19"
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
westchester335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sour Diesel and Haze

Car looks great!! you should lightly smoke the tails just like you did on the E61

Can't wait to see more
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
ucsbwsr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester335i View Post
Car looks great!! you should lightly smoke the tails just like you did on the E61

Can't wait to see more
I do retrofits and various lighting modifications. My tail lights were actually cut open, the turn signal was painted white and the lower portion black, the LED tubes were also frosted. It is likely Matt will like get something similar is he chooses.

His headlights will also get re-retrofitted.

Evan
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
335_MI6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Very nice work

Spiike32: "I remember seeing your photoshoot pics with an M3 and was inspired to continue modding to make it look as clean as yours. "
Epacy2: "335=M3?"
THE TECH: "Only 335 guys think so."
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
CoreI5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

NICE!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 01:40 AM   #7
ucsbwsr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335_MI6 View Post
Very nice work
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBY View Post
NICE!!!
Thanks, glad you enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 02:05 AM   #8
ucsbwsr
Private First Class
Rep

So much better with a black DME cover.

Pump and Thermostat came in.

Interesting choice it vac line routing.

Exhaust was filthy from the coolant leak.

Filthy FILTHY HABITS

Before

After
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #9
idspeedskater
Idaho Transplant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Always glad to see another Xi single coming up. Looks awesome
      11-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #10
AK.
resU.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [5.00]
Great progress! Keep up the work.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #11
ucsbwsr
Private First Class
Rep

Dropped the subframe to take a close look at everything and make accessing the waterpump/thermostat easier.

Interesting.... I removed the entire air charge system to examine all couplers and connections, good thing I did.

The PCV connection had come unseated from the filter and was spewing burnt oily goodness all over the outside of the filter, water pump, and everything else in the vicinity.

I figured the amount of oil saturated into the filter would make for an uphill battle cleaning it so I have a BMS ST Filter on order.

The heater hose laying directly on top of the engine was rather unsightly, especially since it was a VTA setup as it wasn't connected properly so I used a Vibrant crankcase filter I had laying around and situated a better VTA setup. The filter is down by the drivers feet with no sensitive items around and airflow to help evacuate the excess.

I thought this was the area where the cooling system sprung a leak. Things are tight in this area and it looked like the oem worm drive clamp may have cut into the cooling elbow supplied by FFTEC. Under further investigation, I found no damage to any cooling hose so maybe it was a poor connection, we will see!

Oh, Hi There!

This thing is so massive compared to my twins...

PT 6466 Gen II

It is a shame this thing isn't more visible...

Checking the WG springs

Black

Green

Based off the Tial MV-R Spring Chart this combo yields a .6bar/8.7psi

Removed the exhaust and gave it a wipedown.

FFTEC DP and Filthy Habits Fabrication mid section

FFTEC detail

Merge Collector

Gotta love v-bands

Welds

The cat-back was fabricated while Matt still had RB turbos, if only everyone knew this car would end up with a single turbo the exhaust could have been much simpler for the fabricators to build! lol

Rear section, dual Vibrant UQRs.

QTP Valve at the tip, when open exhaust passes through one resonator and out a 3" tip.

When the valve is shut gasses pass through a additional 2.5" diameter piping and another resonator to a 3" tip.

Tip detail

Filthy Habits!
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #12
kboss335
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e90

What products and process did you use for the interior spot treating? I have those same spots on my driver door and armrest and I haven't had any luck getting rid of them
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

This poor workmanship by shops doesn't surprise me one bit. After having one of my cars worked on at a few different shops, I found countless short cuts took, bolts missing, damaged each time i looked over the car after work was done.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.

|LUX & HPB 160W Angel Eyes Starting $89 | |VTT| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Shifteck| |Injen| GUARANTEED IN STOCK ER CP's N54, PM ME!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
ucsbwsr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboss335 View Post
What products and process did you use for the interior spot treating? I have those same spots on my driver door and armrest and I haven't had any luck getting rid of them
If your cleaner is premixed then dilute it with some water in a spray bottle and spray a moderate of leather cleaner on the intended area. I also put a couple sprays into the horse hair brush. Patiently and lightly scrub the leather and then wipe clean with a microfiber towel, examine the area and repeat if necessary.

I usually work in 1ft sections depending on what I am cleaning, how dirty it is, and how impatient I am. After it's clean, let it dry for a bit before adding some leather conditioner. If if is the steering wheel I omit conditioner.

Evan
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #15
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

Looking good, Matt.
I just noticed the wastegate hoses are set up for dual port operation. Normally FFTEC recommends single port, I'm not sure why the other shop installed them in dual port mode, so double check the hose routing at the boost solenoid and T fitting to make sure everything is installed correctly. Also, you might want to bump up the wastegate spring to 11 or 13psi depending on how much boost you plan to run. It'll help improve spoolup.
BTW how much boost do you plan to run?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #16
ucsbwsr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
Looking good, Matt.
I just noticed the wastegate hoses are set up for dual port operation. Normally FFTEC recommends single port, I'm not sure why the other shop installed them in dual port mode, so double check the hose routing at the boost solenoid and T fitting to make sure everything is installed correctly. Also, you might want to bump up the wastegate spring to 11 or 13psi depending on how much boost you plan to run. It'll help improve spoolup.
BTW how much boost do you plan to run?
To clarify I am Evan, Matt is my friend whose car I am working on.

Once the car is running properly and strong a Stage 3 LPFP and Port Injection kit will go in. The ideal setup would be an integrated rail/manifold like Evolution of Speed but also with JB4 integration.

I guess the best plan will be to get it tuned on 91 oct and see what numbers it makes, then do the same for E85, once we know the boost and power levels it would be sweet to get a spring setup that would worked well for either.

I will look into the WG connections, thanks for the heads up.

Evan
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 12:21 AM   #17
ucsbwsr
Private First Class
Rep

Before leaving to spend Thanksgiving with family I made some more progress on Matt's car. There will be some parts ordered and waiting for install upon my return ...early Christmas.

H222O pump is installed but I am waiting on the turbo filter to arrive to I can install that before mounting the thermostat. Once the cooling system is complete it will be time to reinstall everything and give it a whirl to confirm the everything is 100% and boost is being held properly.

Walnut Blasting is next on the list.

Evan

I ordered a BMS ST filter but unfortunately it is a little too large for the bottom mount, a Vibrant 10931 has been ordered as a replacement.

My previous spring assessment was incorrect, the table and spring chart Tial offers for 2012+ MV-R WGs are not the most intuitive an their spring paint isn't as pronounced as it looks online. At any rate, his WG was loaded up with 7.25psi of preload which will need to be increased a bit, and then a bit more as the mods progress. Probably looking for 12-13psi of spring initially before PI and E85. More importantly I discovered that the unused air port on his WG was unplugged, not sure when/how/why but it was. Some plugs have been ordered.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #18
ucsbwsr
Private First Class
Rep

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #19
ucsbwsr
Private First Class
Rep

I am 0-2 on ordering filters for the bottom mount, I struck out with the BMS shorty filter then the Vibrant filter didn't fit as the filter didn't taper enough, literally millimeters away from fitting, I finally went with the exact K&N the car ran originally. I should have taken better measurements these filter shenanigans are putting the build on hold as the filter must be installed before the thermostat goes in ...and everything else.

The MV-R springs and plugs arrived. Preload duty will be done by a black and blue spring, .8bar total for 11.6psi which should be good for 23-30psi-ish. Springs and missing airport plug were installed, MV-R is ready to go. I love the quality of Tial products, this MV-R was on my desk for the last week and I miss looking at it. I run a Tial BOV on my E61 and love it.

Some more goodies arrived: JB4 Anti-Lag, RB PCV, NGKs, 3.5bar sensor, new DP hardware

#Details

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #20
BMOEW
Lieutenant Colonel
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is AW

nice progress, looks great
2011 335IS Alpine White|Coral Red|DCT|BuraQ E60 Tune|DCI|VRSF 3" DownPipes| ER ChargePipe w/ HKS SSQV BOV|VRSF 7" FMIC|RB PCV| BMS Oil Catch Can|NGK 5992|AQUAMIST HFS-4 w/Twin Methanol Tank|Custom Exhaust| ST Coilovers| and a METAL FOOT
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #21
ucsbwsr
Private First Class
Rep

Still waiting for the filter to come in so I started to give the interior some attention. The car has ~75,000 miles on it and the interior is in great condition, a good cleaning helps breathe new life into it.

Evan

Garage Queens, Matt's E90 and Annie the Aussie.

After vacuuming, before leather cleaning.

Driver seat before

During, notice the difference in sheen from the oil and nastiness.

Before

After
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #22
335_MI6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Can you take my car under your hands too? lol

I love the attention to detail

Spiike32: "I remember seeing your photoshoot pics with an M3 and was inspired to continue modding to make it look as clean as yours. "
Epacy2: "335=M3?"
THE TECH: "Only 335 guys think so."
Appreciate 0