E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Avoiding the new car itch

08-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
leetennis
Lieutenant

Drives: 3 M Sport

Avoiding the new car itch

Evening all, I was wondering, does everyone get a new car itch and just live with it, or scratch away.

I really like my AW 320d Msport plus, pro sat nav, vis pack, h/k, USB audio interface. Few weeks of ownership I debadged, little while after performance spoiler went on. Then the performance stripes (which came off a few months back), lastly the pedals went on.

I guess the chopping and changes of bits keeps me interested but I do really think I have a short attention span for the cars I've owned. I craved my current car for ages yet after 22 months of ownership from new I've toyed with a 125i Msport, m135i, JCW cooper s, 2nd hand m3's to vintage minis.

Car has negative equity of around 2k, to clear this and get into another car does seem stupid nor the correct priority as saving to move.

Tell me I'm not the only one with a weakness for the BMW configrurator!
      08-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
sheps
Colonel

Drives: C63 AMG

Send a message via MSN to sheps
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetennis View Post
Tell me I'm not the only one with a weakness for the BMW configurator!
Nope, you're not alone buddy.
Was just playing with a 5 series configuration that I managed to get to 60-odd grand!

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
sheps is offline   United Kingdom
      08-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
davyk31
Brigadier General

Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD

Hankering after a BMW again are we Sheps ??

I think we all spend a lot of time dreaming and thinking, I reckon I know my local dealers used stock better than they do most times.
      08-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
tony20009
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

You are not alone. I check it out from time to time to satisfy my hankering for the 6GC. Fortunately, I can't find any way to configure it the way I want it and get it to a price I consider less than insane to pay for a car while I still have kids in college/school, to say nothing of the fact that there's not a single thing wrong with the cars I already have.

I hate replacing cars that aren't broken or radically out of date (30+ years old). It seems like such a waste of resources to do so when I know the joy "newness" will wear off in a year or sooner.

I think if BMW come out with some feature that would be "life changing" as goes my driving experience, I'd go ahead and get the new car, but otherwise, not likely.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
      08-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
335iCMJ

Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Your not the only one! I went food shopping and had been thinking of a new car, went to local shop that had a BMW by it and thought I would have a quick look. Four hours later I walked out signing on the dotted line for an e92, big difference coming from Vauxhall!
335iCMJ is offline   United Kingdom
      08-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
sheps
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Hankering after a BMW again are we Sheps ??

I think we all spend a lot of time dreaming and thinking, I reckon I know my local dealers used stock better than they do most times.
I really don't know what I want next; I have the C63 until xmas next year, and I doubt I'll be changing before then. I'll be honest, whilst the timing is perfect for an M-sport 4 series, the pictures/renderings I've seen so far aren't giving me the horn. Looking at the glass house of the 4 series shots I've seen, its a lazy-mans update from the E92.

I'm really liking the look of the Merc style concept. If the transformation from concept to production car isn't too drastic then one of those with a proper lump under the bonnet would be massively tempting.

08-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
mowflow
Colonel

Drives: F20 125d

If I scratched everyone of my car itches I'd be in something different every month or 2. As it is I normally manage to last a year before I convince myself it isn't to stupid financially. I'm kidding myself on though.

Don't think I'd change in your position with the negative equity.
mowflow is offline   Scotland
      08-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
tony20009
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
... Looking at the glass house of the 4 series shots I've seen, its a lazy-mans update from the E92...
I have to admit I really like the look of the e92, so a lazy update might be just the thing to push me in that direction sooner than I would otherwise do. Something transformational rather than evolutionary wouldn't be bad either, if it's done right. For example:
  • Transformation done wrong (stylistically): E39 ---> E60. I think BMW agree with this as well; notice that no design from the E60/E90 era has yet shown itself to have evolved, little beyond the roundel and model numbers/names from those designs has carried over to the F series cars. (The jury's still out on the 1er and 3er/4er coupes).
  • Transformation done right: E46 coupe ---> E92
  • Evolution done right: E36 ---> E46 (same could be said of the equivalent 5ers)
  • Evolution done wrong: I can't say I've ever seen this happen

PS
Yes, I know the orange dashboard lighting did carry over from the E to F series.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      08-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
sheps
Colonel

I totally agree with the "if it aint broke don't fix it" mentality of evolution rather than revolution, but I'm concerned it would prove too similar to the E92 for me to consider - given that I keep my cars (generally) 3 years, I never have the same car twice - that's effectively 6 years in one car.

The F33 would have to be very different from the E92 for me to consider one, for that reason, not because the E92 needed/needs changing specifically.

08-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
kaishang
Colonel

Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I'm getting a F30 330d, 535d, 640d GC or Audi A7 itch.

Although I'm going to wait until after winter.
      08-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
leetennis
Lieutenant

Drives: 3 M Sport

Well I'm gonna go cold turkey from the configurator.

It's weird because it's not that I even dislike my car even without neg equity I'm not totally sure what BMW to start with.
      08-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
tony20009
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
I'm getting a F30 330d, 535d, 640d GC or Audi A7 itch.

Although I'm going to wait until after winter.
Your itches are quite like mine. For me, it's mostly 6GC, but as whatever car it'll eventually be that I buy, it'll be my daily driver. So, for me it's X1, 5GT, E92's replacement, or maybe Audi allroad.

I have to admit though that after seeing the posting on here earlier this week regarding BMW crash safety, I may at least go drive a Volvo of some sort, seeing as the car I get will be my daily driver. Not afraid of dying, but I at least owe it to myself to explore cars that improve the likelihood that it's not my car in which I do die. LOL.

08-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
Kerr
Brigadier General

Drives: 08' 335i Coupe

I always have the urge to do something silly.

One day I will pull the trigger.
Kerr is offline   Scotland
      08-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Merc SLS AMG & M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetennis View Post
Tell me I'm not the only one with a weakness for the BMW configrurator!
I have a soft spot for various configurators (as well a the good 'ol PH classifieds)....that I'm sure is very obvious!

Now, after having a tour of the Bentley factory a few weeks ago (one of my friends is a leader for one of the Mulsanne production line teams) and I was so impressed with what I saw, I spec'd up a GT Continental the other day. Even my crazy financing deals wouldn't see me into one of those just yet
Previous: '13 BMW M6 Comp Pack | '11 Merc SLS AMG | '12 Jag XKR-S | '11 Range Rover Sport TDV6 | '11 Jag XKR | '10 Jag XFR | '11 BMW M3 DCT | '08 Maserati Granturismo S | '10 Porsche 911 Turbo | '10 Merc C63 AMG PPP | '09 Merc C63 AMG PP | '06 BMW M6 | '08 BMW M3 | '07 BMW 335i | '04 Alfa 147 GTA + Many others
Palmnuts is offline   United Kingdom
      08-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
sheps
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
I have a soft spot for various configurators (as well a the good 'ol PH classifieds)....that I'm sure is very obvious!

Now, after having a tour of the Bentley factory a few weeks ago (one of my friends is a leader for one of the Mulsanne production line teams) and I was so impressed with what I saw, I spec'd up a GT Continental the other day. Even my crazy financing deals wouldn't see me into one of those just yet
Mr Palmer, I met a chap at a track day in Bedford at the weekend who is best buddies with the chap that bought your white C63 - small world, eh?

08-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
Mart1000
Capt Slow

Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Quote:

I'm kinda glad for you there, as a fan of your Jag and your upcoming purchase, the Bentley is disgusting compared to both of them!

IMHO.

Mart
      08-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #17
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Merc SLS AMG & M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
Mr Palmer, I met a chap at a track day in Bedford at the weekend who is best buddies with the chap that bought your white C63 - small world, eh?
Yeah, very small world!

Although I get the feeling from my own experience that the likes of us (i.e. real car nuts!) are relatively small in quantity so it's quite easy for paths to cross. For instance, I wonder how many people in the UK frequent car forums? 100k? 200k?

Whether it's half the lower figure or double the higher figure, it's tiny against the size of the population so 'our' world is not really that big anyway!

I think the guy that bought it has now sold it. It was up for sale about a year ago but not sure if it did sell as his PH advert indicated he would not accept any offers on it and that he wasn't that fussed if it sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart1000 View Post
I'm kinda glad for you there, as a fan of your Jag and your upcoming purchase, the Bentley is disgusting compared to both of them!

IMHO.

Mart
Disgusting

I can't say I'm in love with the looks but the new model certainly looks a lot better than the previous one.

I was immensely impressed with the engineering and build quality (I bet theres no rattles or creaks in one of them) - the care and attention that goes into making one for what is just a few grand more than some top-end mass-produced cars is very impressive.

Anyway, fear not Mart....I don't think that driving a car like that would appeal from a dynamic point of view so I'll stick with my mass-produced Jags!

They even covered the gearshift paddles in leather and they felt sublime....all other cars I've had bar the C63 (which were metal) has plastic paddles!
Previous: '13 BMW M6 Comp Pack | '11 Merc SLS AMG | '12 Jag XKR-S | '11 Range Rover Sport TDV6 | '11 Jag XKR | '10 Jag XFR | '11 BMW M3 DCT | '08 Maserati Granturismo S | '10 Porsche 911 Turbo | '10 Merc C63 AMG PPP | '09 Merc C63 AMG PP | '06 BMW M6 | '08 BMW M3 | '07 BMW 335i | '04 Alfa 147 GTA + Many others
Palmnuts is offline   United Kingdom
      08-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #18
sheps
Colonel

Quote:
I think the guy that bought it has now sold it. It was up for sale about a year ago but not sure if it did sell as his PH advert indicated he would not accept any offers on it and that he wasn't that fussed if it sold!
Yes, he has sold it - the guy I was chatting to said that he started doing more miles for work and didn't want to pile too many miles onto the Merc.

It was quite funny because he asked me what I was driving, so I said a C63, so he started telling me about his mates one that he'd sold, how it had a custom interior and that the original owner had done a factory collection etc and all the while I was thinking to myself "this is sounding familiar" lo and behold it was your one!

08-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #19
rich1068
has left the building

Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I usually get the itch about 6 months in. Unfortunately/fortunately my finances don't match my ambitions.

However, back in 2002 I got an Octavia RS and never got the itch once. Loved it to bits and spent a small fortune improving it. In fact I originally leased it and bought it off the lease company early just so I could do more silly things to it. Then one day after about four years I suddenly thought 'time for a change' and chopped it in. Bought an A3 and regretted it. Dull, dull, dull.
rich1068 is offline   United Kingdom
      08-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #20
p1tse
Lieutenant

Drives: Need more space

I would love to live with a mini jcw
Small chuckable fun