E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Rear view camera without multimedia interface

08-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
blob
Registered

Drives: BMW 330d E90 2005

Rear view camera without multimedia interface

Hi all,

I have an E90 with CCC iDrive and I would like to add a rear view camera to it.

I'm aware that there are multimedia interface kits like the ones from alekshop or modmynav, but what's wrong with simply plugging the camera directly to the iDrive screen (as described in the description of this item)?

Every post I read describing the installation of a rear view camera is doing it via the (expensive) multimedia interface. But, if description of that camera from ebay is correct, BMW's iDrive screen should have an extra video input port and should have a connection for a reverse trigger (to automatically switch to rear camera while in reverse).

So, what are the benefits of installing a multimedia interface if I just want a rear camera (and don't care for other video sources). If it's only the PIP feature of those interfaces, I'm not sure that it's worth the extra cost ($25 vs $500+).

Last edited by blob; 08-26-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
ram33
Private

Drives: E90 335d

there are no additional ports on ccc screen
the ad you linked to is for connecting to a seperate monitor or a screen like the after market dvd players
Appreciate 0