E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Fuel Pump died? FILE A COMPLAINT!

07-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #23
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States

Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Send a message via AIM to ALPINE6SPD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post

it will force bmw to issue a recall
YA OK thanks for making me laugh.
Force BMW to make a recall

2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #24
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States

Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Send a message via AIM to ALPINE6SPD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo335i View Post
I think is very necesary to do a recall on all 335i's fuel pump. Im in fear of having my car everyday, worrying about this issue if my car is going to die or not.
please we need to sign some sort of petition just for the safety of all 335i owners.
this is very serious people
I am not saying this to eb an asshole but I am confused as to what your saying. If you have so much stress and worry over a CAR and a FUEL PUMP you must not have anything important to worry about. Its a CAR if it needs a fuel pump and it breaks it get FIXED and you get it back fine. Why exactly are you so scared to drive your car? Are you afraid to turn on your TV because it might break also? You have to remember we are on a forum here where everyone posts if something is wrong with the car and never when the car is ok. We are a small minority compared to the number of people with a turbo 3 liter motor. I have not seen more than 5-6 cars need a fuel pump where I work and we have sold a good number of cars with the turbo motor. I would not worry about it and if it happenes it happens no big deal IMO.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #25
Spool
Vietnam

Drives: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
I am not saying this to eb an asshole but I am confused as to what your saying. If you have so much stress and worry over a CAR and a FUEL PUMP you must not have anything important to worry about. Its a CAR if it needs a fuel pump and it breaks it get FIXED and you get it back fine. Why exactly are you so scared to drive your car? Are you afraid to turn on your TV because it might break also? You have to remember we are on a forum here where everyone posts if something is wrong with the car and never when the car is ok. We are a small minority compared to the number of people with a turbo 3 liter motor. I have not seen more than 5-6 cars need a fuel pump where I work and we have sold a good number of cars with the turbo motor. I would not worry about it and if it happenes it happens no big deal IMO.

+1

couldn't agree more, just drive your car till it needs the pump replace...most of the time, you'll get warned before ur pump dies...

long cranks, stuttering, limp mode, etc...

talk to ur dealer, and then call BMWNA, and they will reimburse you with some compensation for your trouble...in the meantime you get a nice little loaner to drive around...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #26
audiphile
Private First Class

Drives: CORRADO SLC, 07 335i

is the pump issue on EVERY 335i, or just the coupes?

I've got ~7K miles on my e90 and it's fine
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 02:07 PM   #27
Orient330iNYC
Major

Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiphile View Post
is the pump issue on EVERY 335i, or just the coupes?

I've got ~7K miles on my e90 and it's fine
its not all N54 motors (well, as far as anyone can tell), but it can affect any car with an N54 (ie: x35)
Basically the high pressure fuel pump is only part of the twin turbo I6, doesnt matter what body the engine is put into.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP, BMW Performance Kit, BMW Performance Exhaust
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #28
audiphile
Private First Class

Drives: CORRADO SLC, 07 335i

great... I thought that only coupes suffered from the pump failure, now I'll be paranoid when driving long distances..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #29
antidentite
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 e92, 6mt

+ 1 for Spool.

If my fuel pump goes out, I hope to get a nice loaner car for a few days or even a few weeks. Prevents me from putting mileage and wear and tear on my car while I'm pushing the loaner to the limits.

It took them an extra three days just to do the iDrive update, and I had a 325 loaner and was happy about it.

I do not expect Lexus reliability in a first year, twin turbo BMW. German engineering is great at creating a driving experience like no other, and for that I sacrifice a bit of reliability.

BMW should be taking care of their customers when something like this happens, so I do feel for those of you who arent being treated right by your dealers. However, I think going into the dealership with the right expectations will also make the matter more manageable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
I find it funny how some of you are not happy at the way BMW is dealing with this. They are not stupid, they know prolonging this will hurt their sales in the future, they didn't become this rich by being this stupid. I'm sure they are finding a solution to this problem, a recall will surely be made, but how are they going to do it without the parts? Your dealership is the one taking care of you.

BMW will issue a recall once they have this part mass produced, and it takes over a year for them to issue a recall on a car. the 01 M3's had the same problem with their rod bearings, it took over a year for that to be recalled as well.

Complain to your dealership if they are not taking care of you,

Mine treated me very well, i took the car in, they give me a loaner of choice, in my case i got another 335i to drive and to rack up miles on, took it to a couple road trip.

in the meantime my car sits in the garage awaiting the fuel pump, it doesn't rack up mad miles that i drive and depreciate, got money back from BMWNA, i got my 200 dollar back for my alignment done, and is waiting for my extra front lip which i don't need but they are willing to give me.

First year production car will always have problems, we are the guinea pigs, they are still testing and tuning the engine and its components. Either learn to live with it, or wait a few years and buy the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 07:02 PM   #30
turbodan
Homemade turbo
United_States

Drives: 1988 BMW 528e...

I dont know what you guys think they're doing. If there is any group of people that BMW isn't going to deliberately screw off, its going to be the group that just bought a brand new car. Those of you going to your local dealer and raising hell aren't doing anything but showing your service advisor what kind of guy you are. Raging against the man isn't going to help anything. Its a bad situation, but I dont doubt they're doing what they can to make it right. Trying to complicate the situation with bullshit will certainly not do any good.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 10:04 PM   #31
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base

Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

Quote:

I'm not sure what's so funny.

They CAN force BMW to issue a recall.

On another note, I dont think the point of filing a formal complaint is to get BMW to issue a recall. As was mentioned that takes a long time to actualy go through. BUT what it can do is bring more attention to this problem, and let BMW know that we are not satisfied with the attempts they've made to fix the problem.

This could leave a black mark on the brand and BMW want's to avoid this, obviously. However doing nothing wont speed up the process. Do you truly believe that what BMW has done thus far to remedy the fuel pump problems is good enough? Replacing flawed pumps with more flawed pumps?

Sometimes corporations need a kick in the ass to get something done, and BMW would love nothing more than for everyone to just be quiet about this. Hopefully bringing some more attention to the problem will be that kick they need.
      07-23-2007, 10:23 PM   #32
dustman
Private

Drives: '13 Ferrari 458 Italia

Call BMW NA

and file an official complaint with them...they are knowledgeable about this issue and in my experience and another board member, extremely eager to please you. They know the lemon law in your state and will address as needed if you want that corrective action. My pump was fixed in DAYS after filing a complaint. If you have not done this, it is your fault for not taking the proper steps to protect your rights and investment. You shouldnt leave the car at the dealer and then just complain on the boards and wait for a solution to come to you.

Now, if my pump fails again, I'll have the car repurchased in a heartbeat and move on.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 12:39 AM   #33
gmessori

Drives: BMW 335i

Forcing a recall will not solve the issue. What I was told was that the original manufacturer of the high pressure fuel pump was removed as a parts supplier as they were unable to deliver what was expected. (A part that works) The new supplier had to tool up to make the pumps and is now making them for all of the cars in production and replacement parts for cars that break. In time BMW will do a recall, but before they can do that they have to make sure every dealer has an adequate supply.

As for people saying that BMW service sucks, I FULLY disagree. BMW Service rocks. I had my 335 die on me June 26th. At the 20 day mark (July 16th) I called Customer Service, just to see if I could expedite things. On July 17th I get a call saying BMW is very aware of the issue, and they can offer me one of three things. 1) Pay my payments as long as the car is in the shop 2) do a buyback of the vehicle 3) wait till the 30th day and lemon the car. On July 18th I called back and took option 2, a buy back of the vehicle. On July 20th, I took possession of a Montego blue 335 with a may/06 production date. The dealer refunded ALL my money, down payments, taxes and every payment I had ever made. After paying for only mileage on my car (less then 2 grand) I put the rest back into the new 335, and even after adding nav walked away with a lower payment.

BMW just earned a life customer. I have never been treated like this before by any auto manufacture. Everyone from the SA to the sales manager was great.

Anyone who is looking for a new or used BMW go to Valencia BMW and talk to Jason Meyer. If your car needs service, ask for Mark Sampson. People like these make the "BMW Experience" A reality. Tell them Giovanni sent you and ask them what happened with me.

As a side note, when my car was towed in there were no BMW loaners available. I expressed my desire to be placed into a loaner that more reflected what I was driving, not a econoslushbox. The GM of Valencia BMW’s parent company then drove me to Enterprise and allowed me to select anything off the lot. Wife ended up driving a brand new Dodge Aspen for the 25 some odd days before we got the new car.

Besides, I can not help but wonder how many of the people screaming for a recall even own a BMW, yet alone a 335. My experience with every BMW has always been freaking great, which is why I will be getting a 750 soon and a 135 when they come out.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 12:43 AM   #34
hotrod182

Drives: 07 335i, 06 M3

A recall? I'm not sure if they even have a better fuel pump to put in our cars any ways.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 12:52 AM   #35
gmessori

Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
A recall? I'm not sure if they even have a better fuel pump to put in our cars any ways.

Hey HotRod, come out to LACR some time. I wanna go against you in the new 335, it feels a little quicker for some reason... maybe just the whole no driving it for a month...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 01:18 AM   #36
Coldintake
First Lieutenant

Drives: in circles

Media route or Recall. I like many special ordered my car, it cannot simply be replaced to my specs.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 07:23 AM   #37
RiXst3r

Drives: M235i

Send a message via AIM to RiXst3r
Quote:

care to add some insight? I would not consider this a laughing matter.

obviously the recall will not happen for a while, but this is at least a step for us to take.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #38
scottp999
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
I hear Spool's comments loud and clear, but on my way down to the shore, I don't want to get stranded 5 miles from anything but chickens and corn waiting 4 hours for a tow truck.

For now taking the corolla to the beach. The BMW just does trips around town for me now which is rediculous.
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #39
dreamnmotion
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i sedan

BMW, via TSBs to their dealerships has declared that fuels containing 15% or more ethanol will probably damage, among other things, the fuel pump. They state that any such damage is not covered by the warranty. They have even shipped test kits to dealers to test the fuel for alcohol content if there is fuel pump failure.
Also, BMW recommends that "TOPTIER" gasolines be used to avoid injector problems. However I have read their allusions that this usage may also diminish the chance of fuel pump failure.
In spite of their TSB to the contrary it sounds like BMW is indeed warranteeing their fuel pumps where >14% ethanol gas has been used. This may be incorrect, or they may be doing it for goodwill, or due to the unwritten "suitability for use" clause implied in any warranty.

This is according to a person from bimmerforums. He's quite credible as he's helped numerous people over in that forum. I've been using Shell's V-Power gasoline ever since I got the car, and according to the TOPTIER gasoline web site, Shell is a TOPTIER gas retailer, so I'm hoping I won't have any fuel pump trouble? Have anyone pour only a certain type of gas would like to share their experience?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 10:39 PM   #40
Sniz
Lieutenant General

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
I find it funny how some of you are not happy at the way BMW is dealing with this. They are not stupid, they know prolonging this will hurt their sales in the future, they didn't become this rich by being this stupid. I'm sure they are finding a solution to this problem, a recall will surely be made, but how are they going to do it without the parts? Your dealership is the one taking care of you.

BMW will issue a recall once they have this part mass produced, and it takes over a year for them to issue a recall on a car. the 01 M3's had the same problem with their rod bearings, it took over a year for that to be recalled as well.

Complain to your dealership if they are not taking care of you,

Mine treated me very well, i took the car in, they give me a loaner of choice, in my case i got another 335i to drive and to rack up miles on, took it to a couple road trip.

in the meantime my car sits in the garage awaiting the fuel pump, it doesn't rack up mad miles that i drive and depreciate, got money back from BMWNA, i got my 200 dollar back for my alignment done, and is waiting for my extra front lip which i don't need but they are willing to give me.

First year production car will always have problems, we are the guinea pigs, they are still testing and tuning the engine and its components. Either learn to live with it, or wait a few years and buy the car.
nice customer service there.

What dealership for my future reference.