E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > seconadary cats question



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
bmwm3redblack
Captain
 
bmwm3redblack's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW 335XI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: e13 osl

Posts: 854
iTrader: (0)

seconadary cats question

Hey guys. I wnat to be fbo next month, the only problem is i'm not going to buy catback, and don't know what to do with sec cats?

If i delete them, will i get more power? Sound? Or i should leave it and just go with catless dp's?
__________________
Bmw 335xi/FBO/ black on black/ 6sp manual/Cobb AP/BMS DCI/AA BOV KIT/VRSF DP'S/VRSF 7'FMIC /FULLY CATLESS/H&R sport springs/ 19' ac schnitzer wheels.
bmwm3redblack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
WesleyC
Colonel
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

Posts: 2,890
iTrader: (20)

Leave them.
WesleyC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
135Pats
Can't decide....
 
135Pats's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 5,360
iTrader: (1)

At FBO power theyre probably costing you a few whp, debatable as to whether youd notice it.
135Pats is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
bmwm3redblack
Captain
 
bmwm3redblack's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW 335XI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: e13 osl

Posts: 854
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
At FBO power theyre probably costing you a few whp, debatable as to whether youd notice it.
Any louder sound???
__________________
Bmw 335xi/FBO/ black on black/ 6sp manual/Cobb AP/BMS DCI/AA BOV KIT/VRSF DP'S/VRSF 7'FMIC /FULLY CATLESS/H&R sport springs/ 19' ac schnitzer wheels.
bmwm3redblack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,145
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3redblack View Post
Any louder sound???
Raspier. If you like fart can sounds do it.
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
bmwm3redblack
Captain
 
bmwm3redblack's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW 335XI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: e13 osl

Posts: 854
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Raspier. If you like fart can sounds do it.
So it's useless mod
__________________
Bmw 335xi/FBO/ black on black/ 6sp manual/Cobb AP/BMS DCI/AA BOV KIT/VRSF DP'S/VRSF 7'FMIC /FULLY CATLESS/H&R sport springs/ 19' ac schnitzer wheels.
bmwm3redblack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Blaster400
FBO+RB's
 
Blaster400's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i E92 BSM 6AT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Birmingham, MI

Posts: 464
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 335i E92  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to Blaster400
You open yourself up to smoking and smell issues if you remove secondary cats with catless DP. Leave them in.
__________________
11.5 @123 MPH | JB4 G5 w/WEDGE flash | FBO | RB Turbos | Quaife | Íhlins | Brembo
Blaster400 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,145
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3redblack View Post
So it's useless mod
What's the problem? You arn't happy with your exhaust sound? Going off your sig you don't have downpipes, get those first and then see if you need more. Do you have an E90 or E92.
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
R.G.
Lieutenant
 
R.G.'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: In my sub conscious

Posts: 587
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster400
You open yourself up to smoking and smell issues if you remove secondary cats with catless DP. Leave them in.
+1
__________________
Cobb*FSR E40 Pro tune*Dinan IC*Dinan CAI*Dinan Strut Tower*Dinan camber plates*Dinan control arm bushings*MS Catless*ER Chargepipe*Tial BOV*Custom dual 2.5" exhaust w/Vibrant race mid cats & resonaters*Vishnu Walbro 455 Inline kit*BMS OCC*Alpina Trans flash*Misc coding*RB PCV*Megan racing toe arms*M3 subframe bushings*Carbon vented hood*Carbon trunk*Carbon grills*DD rear bumper*Race valances*Vorsteiner carbon front lip*M3 Steering wheel w/DCT paddles*M3 Guages*M3 Side Skirts*Carbon side splitters*Volk RE30s
R.G. is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Maxspeed
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: CA

Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

I'm fully catless and I don't like the smell. Definitely keep the secondaries!
Maxspeed is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
bmwm3redblack
Captain
 
bmwm3redblack's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW 335XI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: e13 osl

Posts: 854
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
What's the problem? You arn't happy with your exhaust sound? Going off your sig you don't have downpipes, get those first and then see if you need more. Do you have an E90 or E92.

I'm e92 and i'm waiting my catless dp's in 2 weeks.
Does catless dp's dramatically improve exhaust sound? cause the sound clips in youtube seems it si not?
__________________
Bmw 335xi/FBO/ black on black/ 6sp manual/Cobb AP/BMS DCI/AA BOV KIT/VRSF DP'S/VRSF 7'FMIC /FULLY CATLESS/H&R sport springs/ 19' ac schnitzer wheels.
bmwm3redblack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
Blaster400
FBO+RB's
 
Blaster400's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i E92 BSM 6AT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Birmingham, MI

Posts: 464
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 335i E92  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to Blaster400
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3redblack View Post
I'm e92 and i'm waiting my catless dp's in 2 weeks.
Does catless dp's dramatically improve exhaust sound? cause the sound clips in youtube seems it si not?
You will notice a very nice difference in sound when you add downpipes. I'm E92 also with catless DP and stock exhaust including secondary cats plus golf tee mod. Everyone has different taste in exhaust sound but to me the sound is perfect. And YouTube clips are not the best way to evaluate exhaust sound.
__________________
11.5 @123 MPH | JB4 G5 w/WEDGE flash | FBO | RB Turbos | Quaife | Íhlins | Brembo
Blaster400 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
Wedge1967
Banned
 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,173
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
At FBO power theyre probably costing you a few whp, debatable as to whether youd notice it.
I would normally agree with your assumption, but I removed mine for shift sector and honestly I didn't see an increase on the dyno after removing them. If anything it killed the sound of my exhaust and my car smoked really bad after removing them. I have new turbos now, but honestly I would never run without the secondaries ever again after my experience.
Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,145
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3redblack View Post
I'm e92 and i'm waiting my catless dp's in 2 weeks.
Does catless dp's dramatically improve exhaust sound? cause the sound clips in youtube seems it si not?
I would say wait until you get the downpipes and go from there. If you want something else, look into mufflers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
I would normally agree with your assumption, but I removed mine for shift sector and honestly I didn't see an increase on the dyno after removing them. If anything it killed the sound of my exhaust and my car smoked really bad after removing them. I have new turbos now, but honestly I would never run without the secondaries ever again after my experience.
+1. The cons outweigh the possible benefits on stock turbos.
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
bmwm3redblack
Captain
 
bmwm3redblack's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW 335XI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: e13 osl

Posts: 854
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster400 View Post
You will notice a very nice difference in sound when you add downpipes. I'm E92 also with catless DP and stock exhaust including secondary cats plus golf tee mod. Everyone has different taste in exhaust sound but to me the sound is perfect. And YouTube clips are not the best way to evaluate exhaust sound.

I don't wanna a screaming and raspy sound. Just louder than mine stock unit, if dp's male it louder i'll be happy!!!
__________________
Bmw 335xi/FBO/ black on black/ 6sp manual/Cobb AP/BMS DCI/AA BOV KIT/VRSF DP'S/VRSF 7'FMIC /FULLY CATLESS/H&R sport springs/ 19' ac schnitzer wheels.
bmwm3redblack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,145
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3redblack View Post
I don't wanna a screaming and raspy sound. Just louder than mine stock unit, if dp's male it louder i'll be happy!!!
You will probably be happy with downpipes then.
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
07tundra
Major
 
Drives: TUNDRA
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Mexico

Posts: 1,101
iTrader: (9)

Cats

I got rid of mine and yes smell is horrible! I instead went with 200cell race cats very flowing and no smell. I do get some rasp but I have a muffler delete also.
07tundra is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
robc1976
DIYER
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,223
iTrader: (11)

Put vibrant 1792 resonators in place of cats and the "ultra quite" resonators in place of mufflers. It is a perfect sound...no rasp and 0 drone. I love it.
robc1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
07tundra
Major
 
Drives: TUNDRA
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Mexico

Posts: 1,101
iTrader: (9)

Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Put vibrant 1792 resonators in place of cats and the "ultra quite" resonators in place of mufflers. It is a perfect sound...no rasp and 0 drone. I love it.
You're sold on it Rob that's good you found a combo you like!......I will be doing something similar when I get home!
07tundra is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #20
robc1976
DIYER
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,223
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tundra View Post
You're sold on it Rob that's good you found a combo you like!......I will doing something similar when I get home!
Only thing I am changing and is the getting stainless piping...instead of getting expensive Meisterschaft piping I am considering getting the M2 exhaust...cutting out the mufflers and replacing with "ultra quite" resonators. Basically just use the piping. I need to know if that system has resonators or not and if so what kind.
robc1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #21
07tundra
Major
 
Drives: TUNDRA
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Mexico

Posts: 1,101
iTrader: (9)

Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Only thing I am changing and is the getting stainless piping...instead of getting expensive Meisterschaft piping I am considering getting the M2 exhaust...cutting out the mufflers and replacing with "ultra quite" resonators. Basically just use the piping. I need to know if that system has resonators or not and if so what kind.
Hey that's a smart idea.....i think it does have some bullet style resonators!
07tundra is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
boris
Борис
 
boris's Avatar
 
Drives: POS 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CT/NY

Posts: 412
iTrader: (0)

How else are people going to see your flames?

See if theres a local in your area running a catless tbe.

my money's on you'll think it sounds idiotic.
__________________
07 SG 335i
COBB - Burger Motorsports - Evolution Racewerks - TiAL- AMS
boris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST