Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Runflats saved my ass

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

05-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
ihc95
Captain

Drives: TiAg E92 335i

Garage List
Runflats saved my ass

So today I was driving home on Rt 80 doing about 70 mph when I hear a strange buzzing/shreading sound. I immediately get a low tire warning on the dash indicating the front left tire was low. Then the car starts pulling to the left pretty hard. Just to make the situation a little more exciting, a torrential downpour starts up and I can't see a damn thing. All the cars on the highway creep down to 30-40mph with our blinkers on. The car felt like it was floating...while still trying to pull left. Very scary. But the car still managed to travel 20 miles until I arrived safely at home and for that, I am very thankful. I don't know how today would've wound up if I was on non-RTFs. So next time you guys say "Runcraps," "RFTs suck!" or "get non-RFTs they ride nicer," there is a reason the engineers fitted them. And it's not to make the car heavier, more unconfortable, and less grippy as you all seem to think. I was heavily considering a switch to 19s and non-RFTs when summer came, but I think I'll stick to my RFTs just a little longer.
      05-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
n54gte
First Lieutenant

Drives: 07 335i

Ya run flats aren't bad at all. I drove them down all the way to the steel belts and they did not pop.
      05-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
StoneCold
Captain

Drives: BMW 2008 328i Coupe, Pro 02/08

Same here.....got mail early in the morning & I did not not anthing about it until off work 10 hrs later, TPMS gave me a warning & make home 40 miles away without any problem......I'm stick a RFT for while.
      05-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
SLOWER
Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 E90 335ix

I can't wait to get rid of them.
      05-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
BMDoublYou
Second Lieutenant

Drives: CCCXXXV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan313 View Post
Ya run flats aren't bad at all. I drove them down all the way to the steel belts and they did not pop.
You are aware that just because the tires did not "pop", does not mean they are still suitable for driving? No tread on the tire means no grip, no traction, and danger for everyone on the road, yourself especially. Just because they still hold air doesn't mean you should be driving on them...
      05-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
PR3CI5N
need4speed

Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

They have their pros and cons. Glad they worked for you today though!
      05-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
jeffro535
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 E92 335i, 1997 E36 328is

I was questioning the RFT thing about six months ago when it was time for new tires on the 335. It had the Potenza's on it and didn't like them one bit. I tend to have Michelin tendencies anyway and had pretty much decided to get PSS's. Then I ( found out later) ran over a phillips head bit a couple of screws and about three nails. And the weather was awful. The TPMS did it's thing and told me RR and LF pressure, so I just drove it gently to the tire place near my house where they patched them up. So in the case of multiple tire issues in bad weather I was glad I had them. So I went ahead and sprung for the PS2 RFT's.
jeffro535 is offline   United_States
      05-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
isosunrise
Private First Class

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post
So today I was driving home on Rt 80 doing about 70 mph when I hear a strange buzzing/shreading sound. I immediately get a low tire warning on the dash indicating the front left tire was low. Then the car starts pulling to the left pretty hard. Just to make the situation a little more exciting, a torrential downpour starts up and I can't see a damn thing. All the cars on the highway creep down to 30-40mph with our blinkers on. The car felt like it was floating...while still trying to pull left. Very scary. But the car still managed to travel 20 miles until I arrived safely at home and for that, I am very thankful. I don't know how today would've wound up if I was on non-RTFs. So next time you guys say "Runcraps," "RFTs suck!" or "get non-RFTs they ride nicer," there is a reason the engineers fitted them. And it's not to make the car heavier, more unconfortable, and less grippy as you all seem to think. I was heavily considering a switch to 19s and non-RFTs when summer came, but I think I'll stick to my RFTs just a little longer.
Live in jersey too, 80 is horrible these days. Especially going east between totowa and the city. Rfts seem like they saved your life today.
      05-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
cb4
Captain

Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro535
I was questioning the RFT thing about six months ago when it was time for new tires on the 335. It had the Potenza's on it and didn't like them one bit. I tend to have Michelin tendencies anyway and had pretty much decided to get PSS's. Then I ( found out later) ran over a phillips head bit a couple of screws and about three nails. And the weather was awful. The TPMS did it's thing and told me RR and LF pressure, so I just drove it gently to the tire place near my house where they patched them up. So in the case of multiple tire issues in bad weather I was glad I had them. So I went ahead and sprung for the PS2 RFT's.
If the tires were deflated to the point where the sidewalls had to support your car and you were driving on them then you shouldn't have patched them, you should have had them replaced. If they were merely low on air you would have been fine with non run flats as they would have allowed you the same ability to drive for a short distance and patch.

Personally I think it's unsafe to drive without a spare tire rft or not. BMW give us the spare tire option, please!
cb4 is offline   United_States
      05-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
ken1137
Brigadier General

Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
Were your treads that low ? RFT still suck and maybe you should inspect your tires on a regular basis. I have friends do the same, wait until they see the steel, then change tires. Fail in so many ways!

BMWCCA member
ken1137 is offline   United_States
      05-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

I'd rather push my car home than put RFTs back on my car.
Dark_Knight_335 is online now   United_States
      05-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!

Drives: 335is

Flawed logic, but if RFTs work for you, then go forth and be happy.

I've had a tire fail in a catastrophic fashion and it went down pretty much exactly as you described, other than extended mobility I find the 24/7 compromise in every way not something that's worthwhile, accept maybe on the wife's Volvo, that's a good application of current RFT technology.

A blown tire at speed is a non-event 90% of the time for 90% of the drivers on the road. RFTs just simply aren't worth the compromise. If you don't notice the difference, or cannot find any shortcomings with the RFTs, then your GTG. No worries.

'13 TiAg over Coral, 335is | DCT | Prem | L7 | Nav/Idrive | CA | 19" "-------"

A BMW is Just a Car, it doesn't make you smart, handsome, cool, or wealthy. Get over it.
Revlis is offline   United_States
      05-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #13
BMDoublYou
Second Lieutenant

Drives: CCCXXXV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoYouEvenStanceBro View Post
Oh shut up, who cares.
U mad bro? go stance in the corner. Educate yourself, could save your life one day.
      05-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
marshall834
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
+1

Not worth the extra cost and I don't trust them. I'd rather use a spare or call AAA and wait!

Past:
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
marshall834 is offline   United_States
      05-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #15
S3RI35
definitely two turbos.

Drives: 09E90 (335i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335
+10^10.

I carry a space saver spare and don't have to worry one bit about anything.
      05-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
miringrains
blacks on blacks on blacks on racks

Drives: '11.5 M3 E93

One time while driving home (about 4 days after getting new tires) I hit a piece of metal at night, and my tire blew out. I pulled into a gas station, ditched my car there overnight, and came back with a spare in the morning. Drove to my tire shop and got a new tire. And after all that I'd rather drive on regular tires than run flats. Especially on a lowered car, my head would hurt after one mile in NY.
      05-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
upstatedoc
Drone Expert

Drives: '09 BMW 328ix

I ran RF's for 4 years before switching to go-flats just recently. I can't believe I waited that long, the difference is night and day.
      05-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #18
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc
I ran RF's for 4 years before switching to go-flats just recently. I can't believe I waited that long, the difference is night and day.
I hear you dude, but I also hear the Route 80 Route 46 route ANYTHING in New Jersey woes...

Can't even enjoy a nice set of 19s, Because my suspension is constantly under attack with these craptastic New Jersey roads

It's amazing how many months and years of absolute jack shit can be had with your New Jersey tax dollars...
      05-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #19
miringrains
blacks on blacks on blacks on racks

Drives: '11.5 M3 E93

Quote:
I hear you dude, but I also hear the Route 80 Route 46 route ANYTHING in New Jersey woes...

Can't even enjoy a nice set of 19s, Because my suspension is constantly under attack with these craptastic New Jersey roads

It's amazing how many months and years of absolute jack shit can be had with your New Jersey tax dollars...
My man.. you think NJ is bad.. HOLY SHIT I took the belt home from Staten Island, and I was almost certain I blew out of suspension at times.. I was raging like an animal..
      05-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #20
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by miringrains
Quote:

My man.. you think NJ is bad.. HOLY SHIT I took the belt home from Staten Island, and I was almost certain I blew out of suspension at times.. I was raging like an animal..
Oh absolutely brother- New York and Staten Island I know have pretty bad roads, if not worse... I used to have a girlfriend that lived out in the Bronx
      05-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #21
Efthreeoh
Colonel

Drives: E90

Just a data point here. My car has the sport suspension and the factory 17" staggered setup. The RFTs just don't last long enough for me, so I switched to square 18 X 8 CSL setup with 235/40-18 tires. I run high performance all-seasons. I try to get a tire with an "XL" (extra load) weight rating.

On Christmas night 2007 I hit something in the road at about 12:30 AM, and 3 minutes later the inflation monitor came on. I was about 35 - 40 miles from home. I live out in the country and where I was there was no cell service. My wife was pretty well-juiced too, so stopping to repair the tire with my flat repair kit was not an option because the only help I'd get would be one of Virginia's Finest. Mixing a juiced-up wife, a flat tire, and a Police officer is not a good idea...

So I drove home the 40 miles on the flat tire (it was the left rear tire). I checked the tire the next morning and it was at zero pressure. I inflated it to check on where the hole was and I found the tire deflated in about 3 minutes, so I know I drove home on no pressure. The tire held together fine and didn't look close to disintegrating, and I couldn't even tell it was flat. The car handled fine the whole way home. I'm sure being that it was a cold December night helped the tire not overheat and extended the range a bit, but in my opinion the tire performed almost as good, or as good as a RFT.
Efthreeoh is online now   United_States
      05-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #22
Kalidian
Lieutenant

Drives: AW '09 E90 328xi

Switched to non-RFT's 3 weeks ago. The one and only benefit to RFT's is in the unlikely event of a puncture you can put off having to give a f*ck until you get home. That's it lol. RFT's fall short to conventional rubber in every single other category.

I don't think I could go back to run-flats, even with the xdrive system making the spare tire situation more complicated.