E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > New Respect For RFTs



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
davidturnedge
Private
Australia
0
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: E90 320i Silver 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

New Respect For RFTs

A once in a decade bolt in a tyre, rendering it unrepairable, didn't stop this BMW from driving to school, driving home and then driving to the local tyre place (when it was open and convenient).

Given that my BMW is the daily drive and stopping on the side of the road, let alone being rendered immobile, is a blow to the daily routine, the RFTs worked a treat. I am starting to imagine the benefits of having a flat at highway speeds and then being able to drive calmly out of trouble.

My tyres have a couple of years left (one has about four years left now) but I'm starting to think RFTs might be the sensible replacement tyre if not seeking track day performance.

Sensible tyres.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
Marcs335
Private
Marcs335's Avatar
1
Rep
89
Posts

 
Drives: 335 Virgin
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

HAHA - Mate I am part of the 'run flats are a waste of money family'

My mate got a nail in his X5.
Same story - He was able to drive it until the next day.
He was quite thrilled with his decision to keep the RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
QLD
Captain
QLD's Avatar
16
Rep
899
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidturnedge View Post
I'm starting to think RFTs might be the sensible replacement tyre if not seeking track day performance.

Sensible tyres.
__________________
.
.



..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
sbce90
Me Boosta
sbce90's Avatar
Australia
81
Rep
5,563
Posts

 
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidturnedge View Post
A once in a decade bolt in a tyre, rendering it unrepairable, didn't stop this BMW from driving to school, driving home and then driving to the local tyre place (when it was open and convenient).

Given that my BMW is the daily drive and stopping on the side of the road, let alone being rendered immobile, is a blow to the daily routine, the RFTs worked a treat. I am starting to imagine the benefits of having a flat at highway speeds and then being able to drive calmly out of trouble.

My tyres have a couple of years left (one has about four years left now) but I'm starting to think RFTs might be the sensible replacement tyre if not seeking track day performance.

Sensible tyres.
Poor kids hahaha

But yeh, RFTs make sense for reasons like this (and high speed blow-outs etc..)

Most people however can't justify the $/Performance/Comfort trade off though. But that has been discussed many times before anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
John_01
Colonel
John_01's Avatar
Australia
24
Rep
2,052
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Geez.. BMW drivers who are scared to change a tyre at the side of a busy motorway just need some advice from Chopper.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
QLD
Captain
QLD's Avatar
16
Rep
899
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ...

iTrader: (0)

^^^^ gotta love Uncle Chop-Chop
__________________
.
.



..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Chucky
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 320d E91/ A4 3ltr tdi Quattro
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

I use RFTs. Have a full RFT spare and a chopperjack, which gets tossed in the back when going away out of Sydney. At the end of the day lotsa places still don't carry them. Don't mind the ride at all. Just means you don't have to get out of the car, there and then, if your unlucky enough to get a flat around town in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #8
davidturnedge
Private
Australia
0
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: E90 320i Silver 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

OK, OK... I'll harden the fuck up and replace my RFTs with more usable (and cheaper) conventional types.

PS I'll also buy one of those fancy aerosol puncture cans to avoid brake dust getting on my designer jeans when I get my next puncture more than 5km away from a BMW service centre.

Gee, RFTs aren't *that* bad or pricey these days.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
John_01
Colonel
John_01's Avatar
Australia
24
Rep
2,052
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

I can understand for some people who can't accept any inconvenience or those who normally buy Volvos and only care minimise any possible risks while on the roads. I used to think that enthusiasts choose a BMW for its mix of handing, road-holding and quality ride as a priority.

To me run-flat tyres defeat the purpose of buying a BMW. I chose to drive a BMW because I want the best motoring experience without any compromise. So that means the best tyre grip, and low un-sprung weight. Perhaps BMW are following changes in the market... IOW, people have gone soft!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
sydneyman
Private
0
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325I E92
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (1)

Tyre puncture warning came up yesterday, I checked air pressure of all 4 tyres last night but found nothing wrong, all 4 of them still came up just about right, around 35 psi. Would it be a faulty tyre pressure monitor? My son who drove the car reckons nothing unusual with either handling or noise. If I have a chance today, will pump up the tyres again and reset the warning. Hope for the best.
Anyone has any idea? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
davidturnedge
Private
Australia
0
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: E90 320i Silver 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
I used to think that enthusiasts choose a BMW for its mix of handing, road-holding and quality ride as a priority.

To me run-flat tyres defeat the purpose of buying a BMW.
Funny, I think the same of those who get their pure driving pleasure in an automatic.

Enough making fun of the RFTs already! Sure, they're stiffer but the BMW suspension is tuned for them so you're not losing as much driving pleasure as you may think.

I must admit though my old E46 with conventional tyres did handle better.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
QLD
Captain
QLD's Avatar
16
Rep
899
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidturnedge View Post
Enough making fun of the RFTs already! Sure, they're stiffer but the BMW suspension is tuned for them so you're not losing as much driving pleasure as you may think.

Who gives a toss what people think, if your happy - that's all that matters... its your car after all.
__________________
.
.



..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
pavo335
Banned
pavo335's Avatar
33
Rep
2,981
Posts

 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidturnedge View Post
Funny, I think the same of those who get their pure driving pleasure in an automatic.

Enough making fun of the RFTs already! Sure, they're stiffer but the BMW suspension is tuned for them so you're not losing as much driving pleasure as you may think.

I must admit though my old E46 with conventional tyres did handle better.
nope nuthin wrong with RFT's.

Unless you like traction that is
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 02:37 AM   #14
systech
Private First Class
systech's Avatar
Australia
5
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 335i (sold) 997.2 Carrera S
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Adelaide South Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
nope nuthin wrong with RFT's.

Unless you like traction that is
Unless RFTs have improved since I replaced mine a few years ago, I'll be staying with the NON RFTs thanks.

The stiff sidewalls of RFTs make the suspension unbearable over typical pothole filled Aussie roads ! Or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 02:42 AM   #15
ReyT
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
249
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aus

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
nope nuthin wrong with RFT's.

Unless you like traction that is
like we have traction with normal tyres anyway
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #16
bcoz
spectator
bcoz's Avatar
Australia
7
Rep
353
Posts

 
Drives: 330d Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
Tyre puncture warning came up yesterday, I checked air pressure of all 4 tyres last night but found nothing wrong, all 4 of them still came up just about right, around 35 psi. Would it be a faulty tyre pressure monitor?
Check your wheels for any visible kerb damage and then re-initialise the Flat Tyre Monitor. If problem doesn't recur, then it could just be a quirk in the system. (Note that the Monitor needs to be re-initialised after adjusting tyre pressure).
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #17
davidturnedge
Private
Australia
0
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: E90 320i Silver 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by systech View Post
The stiff sidewalls of RFTs make the suspension unbearable over typical pothole filled Aussie roads ! Or am I missing something?
I absolutely agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #18
sydneyman
Private
0
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325I E92
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoz View Post
Check your wheels for any visible kerb damage and then re-initialise the Flat Tyre Monitor. If problem doesn't recur, then it could just be a quirk in the system. (Note that the Monitor needs to be re-initialised after adjusting tyre pressure).
Took the opportunity to replace the wheels/RF tyres with a set of used 19" wheels with non RFT bought recently, re-initialised the Flat Tyre Monitor and all is fine. Should have done it long time ago, the ride/handling is much much better, no more bouncing around. Even with 19" instead of 18" wheels/tyres, and cos you can still feel the poor quality of our roads but it is never harsh and much more comfortable.

Inspected the tyres and found a couple of small nails on one tyre, not sure if they are the reason of the puncture warning, again, tyre pressure seems OK.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #19
John_01
Colonel
John_01's Avatar
Australia
24
Rep
2,052
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Ditch the runflats and you can be like this guy:

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #20
sbce90
Me Boosta
sbce90's Avatar
Australia
81
Rep
5,563
Posts

 
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
Ditch the runflats and you can be like this guy:

reminds me of stu
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #21
bornadog335i
First Lieutenant
bornadog335i's Avatar
3
Rep
389
Posts

 
Drives: Black MY09 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
reminds me of stu
Does he have a driver
__________________
M Sports Pack, Sapphire Black, Procede Rev 3, Alpina T3 trans flash, Gloss Black GTC wheels with Michelin 19" PSS, Gloss Black BMW Performance Grill
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #22
sbce90
Me Boosta
sbce90's Avatar
Australia
81
Rep
5,563
Posts

 
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornadog335i View Post
Does he have a driver
No but he's changed wheels while wearing nice clothes haha.

Actually come to think of it... he could do with a driver too.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST