E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > F30 Done Again In Wheels Magazine



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-01-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
davidturnedge
Private
Australia
0
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: E90 320i Silver 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

F30 Done Again In Wheels Magazine

Last time I looked at Wheels Magazine I posted that the current C-Class in C200 guise beat the F30 in 328i guise.

September 2012 sees the updated Audi S4 7DSG outdo the F30 335i 8AT despite the $28k price advantage on the side of the F30.

What gives?

Is it just too hard to raise the bar higher and the competition has caught up?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
JamieA
Colonel
JamieA's Avatar
Australia
28
Rep
2,147
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i SG
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to JamieA
I think Wheels seems to have it in for BMW at the moment. I hate to say it because I have always seen this mag as being pretty balanced, but ever since they gave the M5 the thumbs down they have been pretty down on BMWs.

They didn't like the RFTs, now that BMW have solved the problem with a more compliantly tuned suspension but added adaptive dampers for those who want them, Wheels are still complaining (this is the same way Audi fixed their harsh ride by the way).

I don't see how a 328i even is close to a C200, maybe a 320i to a C200. Someone from BMW must have slept with someone's wife, because international press has been glowing, so I just don't get it.
__________________
'05 E90 325i 6sp Man SG 118,032km on the odo (retired) | '06 E90 325i Step SG 121,021km on the odo (retired)
'08 E90 325i LCI Step SG 130,024km on the odo (retired)
'13 D30 328i M-Sport Step | Estoril Blue | Black/Aluminimum | Pro Nav | Xenon HBA | Lane Change Assist 1,760km on the odo
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
ricko177
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 E90 330i - Monaco blue
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canberra

iTrader: (0)

Read the current comparison on CarPoint - 328i v MB250 v Audi A4 v Lexus IS 350 v Volvo S60.

Interestingly - the 328i wins (it did have adaptive suspension, which seems to be generally agreed as desirable).

I agree that Wheels seems to be a bit down on BMW lately - I've been reading it since about 1968 and usually they have liked them but not lately for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
pavo335
Banned
pavo335's Avatar
33
Rep
2,981
Posts

 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko177 View Post
Read the current comparison on CarPoint - 328i v MB250 v Audi A4 v Lexus IS 350 v Volvo S60.

Interestingly - the 328i wins (it did have adaptive suspension, which seems to be generally agreed as desirable).

I agree that Wheels seems to be a bit down on BMW lately - I've been reading it since about 1968 and usually they have liked them but not lately for some reason.
was that the tablet version........ stone tablet
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
John_01
Colonel
John_01's Avatar
Australia
24
Rep
2,052
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Can someone explain why the new 328i is a good car. I mean, did it really deserve to win the comparison?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
15
Rep
796
Posts

 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Left

iTrader: (0)

I wouldnt take any notice of what "Wheels" magazine tries to pass off as journalism. This was the rag that had "Toyota beats Porsche" as its headline about 3 months ago......credibility = zero.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
John_01
Colonel
John_01's Avatar
Australia
24
Rep
2,052
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
I wouldnt take any notice of what "Wheels" magazine tries to pass off as journalism. This was the rag that had "Toyota beats Porsche" as its headline about 3 months ago......credibility = zero.
Yep, I think thats generally true too. They are a magazine largely paid for by advertising just like all the others.

Last edited by John_01; 09-11-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
davidturnedge
Private
Australia
0
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: E90 320i Silver 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
I wouldnt take any notice of what "Wheels" magazine tries to pass off as journalism. This was the rag that had "Toyota beats Porsche" as its headline about 3 months ago......credibility = zero.
Lacked credability? It was an article about Cayman being beaten by FT86. It wasn't about Carrera S being beaten by Prius!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
e90luver
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 BMW 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA View Post
I think Wheels seems to have it in for BMW at the moment. I hate to say it because I have always seen this mag as being pretty balanced, but ever since they gave the M5 the thumbs down they have been pretty down on BMWs.

They didn't like the RFTs, now that BMW have solved the problem with a more compliantly tuned suspension but added adaptive dampers for those who want them, Wheels are still complaining (this is the same way Audi fixed their harsh ride by the way).

I don't see how a 328i even is close to a C200, maybe a 320i to a C200. Someone from BMW must have slept with someone's wife, because international press has been glowing, so I just don't get it.
The Merc is a boat on wheels - how wheels can rate this above the Beamer is beyond me
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
e36mmm
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
220
Posts

 
Drives: 335i M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Which auto magazine in their right mind gives the thumbs down to BMW M5? Reminded me of why I stopped reading Wheels back in 2002.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
e36mmm
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
220
Posts

 
Drives: 335i M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90luver View Post
The Merc is a boat on wheels - how wheels can rate this above the Beamer is beyond me
Biased? uneducated? Money talks.. From advertising point of view, which keeps all auto magazines afloat, Audi and MB are probably paying more for advertising than BMW to increase sales. As you know BMW is dominating in sales for the past several years.. Who knows maybe someone deep down hates BMW at Wheels magazine. Like a fellow said here, maybe an affair took place lol.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST