E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > What gives?? Question about brakes

09-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
ozzy1
Private First Class

Drives: e90 - 328xi

What gives?? Question about brakes

It's been about 20k miles since I changed my rear pads. Have been using cruise etc alot. Well, count down on service reminder went negative and I decided to change the pads. Lift the car, caliper off then I look there is more than 70% left on inner and outer pads. The sensor was not even touched yet. So I say, what gives???

Any thoughts?
      09-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
Colonel

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1 View Post
It's been about 20k miles since I changed my rear pads. Have been using cruise etc alot. Well, count down on service reminder went negative and I decided to change the pads. Lift the car, caliper off then I look there is more than 70% left on inner and outer pads. The sensor was not even touched yet. So I say, what gives???

Any thoughts?
Did you reset the OBC when you changed the pads 20,000 miles ago? Who did the brake work? Did they replace the sensor? Are you sure it is not telling you the front pads need replacement? The best rule of thumb is to wait until the light comes on that indicates the pads need replacement. The OBC mileage is just an estimate.
Efthreeoh is offline   United_States
      09-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
ozzy1
Private First Class

Everything you mentioned were covered. Reset cbs, new sensor etc. the red "brake" light came on thats why i decided to change, not strictly cbs. I realize now that red "brake", not cbs, comes on when cbs is negative. When i reset cbs, without changing pads or sensor, that light went away. Seeing this, i plugged in my old broken sensor from prior time, and since cbs was fine, no red brake light. But, that light came on as yellow. Plugged in a good sensor, light went away. So broken/worn sensor = yellow "brake" light.

Thats why, besides cbs, i was thinking red brake lite meant broken sensor.

Just dont understand why cbs counted down so fast, remember my sensor was not even touched yet.

Btw, all dealer bought parts.
      09-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
ozzy1
Private First Class

no driving habit differences, no tracking etc.