E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Thinking of making the switch back to BMW

10-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
asrautox
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi

Thinking of making the switch back to BMW

Hi all, I briefly owned an E90 335xi for a few months. It was an automatic, and had to be towed to the dealership after a random issue not 2 months after purchase. I got freaked and wanted something with a stick, so I traded it on a 2011 Camaro SS 6mt. I've had the Camaro for about a year and it's really a great car, but I got it new so it's a pretty expensive monthly payment. I recently came across a few 335xi's in the area that are 6mt and are priced right enough to allow me to drop more than $100 from my payment, so I'm thinking about coming back to BMW. A few things I'd like to know are:

1. HPFP issues. Are they still an issue or have the new pumps been more reliable?
2. Water pumps. Are they failing consistently or sporadically?
3. Any other known issues that have cropped up since last year??
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Astephens94
Slightly modified...
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [3.00]
Here's what I can tell you from personal experience/what I've seen around the forums:

1. HPFP issues are all but non-existent. It is also covered for 10 years/120k miles due to a law suit
2. Water pumps seem to go out around 80k miles from what I have seen, but a few forum members have over 100k miles and still have the original water pump (I'm at 75k, and mine is still running strong)
3. In the last year the turbos have also been given a warranty by BMW for 8 years or 82k miles (a different law suit)

If you're looking at cars that are used, make sure to get one CPO. It covers you for 6 years/100k miles, and you will have the peace of mind of knowing anything that goes wrong (except for wear and tear, ie brakes) is covered.

Should you get one not CPO, I'd recommend factoring in a new water pump/battery to the cost. The OEM batteries seem to last 5/6 years on average

Hope this helps, good luck and let us know if you end up making the switch back to the Ultimate Driving [me crazy] Machine!
      10-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

335xi,
Pros:
Comfort
MPG
AWD (Denver?)
Handling (?)
Good power for little $

Cons:
Reliability
Other people think you're a snob

Camaro SS:
The LS3 tuning platform if you're a serious modder
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
r3dbimmer89
The Coolest
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3

Reliability wise I don't think the Camaro is going to be leaps and bounds more reliable than a BMW... Even though that push rod V8 is solid, other things GM still needs to work on.
      10-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
See5
Real Goon
United_States
Rep

Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
Reliability wise I don't think the Camaro is going to be leaps and bounds more reliable than a BMW... Even though that push rod V8 is solid, other things GM still needs to work on.
My '99 Corvette was damn near bulletproof. Haven't heard any major problems with the Camaro.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrautox View Post
Hi all, I briefly owned an E90 335xi for a few months. It was an automatic, and had to be towed to the dealership after a random issue not 2 months after purchase. I got freaked and wanted something with a stick, so I traded it on a 2011 Camaro SS 6mt. I've had the Camaro for about a year and it's really a great car, but I got it new so it's a pretty expensive monthly payment. I recently came across a few 335xi's in the area that are 6mt and are priced right enough to allow me to drop more than $100 from my payment, so I'm thinking about coming back to BMW. A few things I'd like to know are:

1. HPFP issues. Are they still an issue or have the new pumps been more reliable?
2. Water pumps. Are they failing consistently or sporadically?
3. Any other known issues that have cropped up since last year??
This is funny....my Son is trying to talk me into a Camaro SS 6mt. How is it?
I would nt buy a used BMW without warranty. My radio just quit about 1000 kms before warranty expired at 80,000. Steering hoses,pump and rack all replaced with less than 200 kms until warranty expired. I imagine thats about $3000 right there.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
asrautox
Enlisted Member
Rep

The Camaro is actually a great car if you can appreciate it for what it is. They cut corners on interior materials to give the car a solid powertrain and suprisingly good handling. It's heavy, you can't see out of it, lots of plastic, etc. But it's also very comfortable in front, got a great motor, solid gearbox, great brakes, great sound, and decent handling. If they could lob about 200lbs off the car and throw in a more agressive set of gears and front tires, it would be tough to beat from a performance/$ standpoint. People notice you a lot more in the Camaro than they ever did in the BMW, but it's always with a smile, thumbs up, or 'cool car' comment. The only thing I really miss is the German feel and the AWD. This is turning out to be a tough choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
Sered
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT

Quote:
People notice you a lot more in the Camaro than they ever did in the BMW
I think it depends on where you're from and what people drive. Camaros are EVERYWHERE out here. Literally everyone and their brother/sister has one. Well done BMWs get way more looks than a Camaro here.
      10-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

In all seriousness, how do you drive a Camaro SS when the 5.0 is out there? Did you not drive one before you bought or was it the style that sold you?

I just picked up a 335, and prepare for the car to be smaller. The Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger are all huge in the front seats. Im a tiny guy but if your not that might be something to investigate before investing hours on the internet getting bad info from bad websites.

As posted above the issues you see are nearly non existant at this point.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
The Camaro is actually a great car if you can appreciate it for what it is. They cut corners on interior materials to give the car a solid powertrain and suprisingly good handling. It's heavy, you can't see out of it, lots of plastic, etc. But it's also very comfortable in front, got a great motor, solid gearbox, great brakes, great sound, and decent handling. If they could lob about 200lbs off the car and throw in a more agressive set of gears and front tires, it would be tough to beat from a performance/$ standpoint. People notice you a lot more in the Camaro than they ever did in the BMW, but it's always with a smile, thumbs up, or 'cool car' comment. The only thing I really miss is the German feel and the AWD. This is turning out to be a tough choice.
Was yours 428hp SS? How bad was fuel consumption? I'm tired of people staring at BMW because its a BMW. I will never have another one. Great car but .....
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep

Drives: 0

Ellis Juan!

I can tell you one thing. There is nothing like driving a car that you love. If you love it, drive it (albeit assuming you can afford it). IF you're doing it for the 'payment' effect you will hate the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
asrautox
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
In all seriousness, how do you drive a Camaro SS when the 5.0 is out there? Did you not drive one before you bought or was it the style that sold you?
I did extended test drives in all of the top 3 muscle cars actually. The Chally was a boat and was overpriced, so that was out right away. I actually had a mustang earlier in life, so when the 5.0 came out you can imagine my enthusiasm. Driving the actual car, however, was somewhat of a letdown. What got me first was the feeling you get sitting in the drivers seat. It feels small and cramped. Then the handling. The car is praised for feeling light on it's feet. To me it felt floaty and unsecure. Accelerating, the nose goes WAY up, braking it dives WAY down. Around corners, the body doesn't roll too much, but you never get a good solid buttoned down feeling. The best way I can describe it is it feels like the center of gravity is too high, and they did their best to overcome that with agressive sway bars. The mustang is all about the motor, and it really is a screamer, but that's where my love for the car ended.

The Camaro on the other hand is still a bit cramped for its outward size, but less so than the Mustang. The IRS rear and sway dampening make the car feel much more secure and buttoned down, though maybe a tad porky. You can feel the weight of the car, but in normal driving it's almost an attribute because it feels solid and secure. Driving at 10/10's it'll push a bit because the front tires are too small, but it is still quite good for it's size and weight (I run mid-pack with C5's and slightly behind the pack with C6's at my local autox). The LS3 is also a great motor, but more of a torquer than the 5.0. The Camaro does everything I wanted and feels damn mean to boot. It's a modern day batmobile, and as I'm writing this I'm even less sure I even want to go car shopping.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Quote:
I did extended test drives in all of the top 3 muscle cars actually. The Chally was a boat and was overpriced, so that was out right away. I actually had a mustang earlier in life, so when the 5.0 came out you can imagine my enthusiasm. Driving the actual car, however, was somewhat of a letdown. What got me first was the feeling you get sitting in the drivers seat. It feels small and cramped. Then the handling. The car is praised for feeling light on it's feet. To me it felt floaty and unsecure. Accelerating, the nose goes WAY up, braking it dives WAY down. Around corners, the body doesn't roll too much, but you never get a good solid buttoned down feeling. The best way I can describe it is it feels like the center of gravity is too high, and they did their best to overcome that with agressive sway bars. The mustang is all about the motor, and it really is a screamer, but that's where my love for the car ended.

The Camaro on the other hand is still a bit cramped for its outward size, but less so than the Mustang. The IRS rear and sway dampening make the car feel much more secure and buttoned down, though maybe a tad porky. You can feel the weight of the car, but in normal driving it's almost an attribute because it feels solid and secure. Driving at 10/10's it'll push a bit because the front tires are too small, but it is still quite good for it's size and weight (I run mid-pack with C5's and slightly behind the pack with C6's at my local autox). The LS3 is also a great motor, but more of a torquer than the 5.0. The Camaro does everything I wanted and feels damn mean to boot. It's a modern day batmobile, and as I'm writing this I'm even less sure I even want to go car shopping.
I work at a dealership, even I hate car shopping.
Appreciate 0