E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > What is the easiest way to check for Carbon?

08-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
Mark M
Captain

Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

What is the easiest way to check for Carbon?

Just was wondering what is the easiest way to check for carbon on these motors?

Some have removed the EGR to check, but it sounds like that is a bit involved due to the proximity of sensors and the charge pipe. Is there an easier method so as to do a quick check of the intake?
Mark M is offline   United_States
      08-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Socom
Major General

Drives: 2010 335D

No. The buildup that is causing some people problems is deep within the intake ports behind the swirl flaps. It's NOT within the intake runners or the EGR. The general presence of carbon inside the intake and around the EGR is normal for diesels.

This is more of a periodic maintenance issue to be dealt with one or twice during the ownership period verses a design problem.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/02/ujamapa4.jpg
      08-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
FormerRotor
Major

Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Couldn't one remove the charge pipe then use a flexible digital borescope? I found significant enough signs of carbon post-EGR that I feel it could only be the same or worse post-intake manifold. Plan is to get it checked out in the next month or so.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )

Last edited by FormerRotor; 08-06-2013 at 08:36 PM.
      08-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
yatzee
Retired TDI guy

Drives: 2009 335D

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [0.00]
you could take off the intake manifold and take a look - it doesn't look like a big job
      08-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
Socom
Major General

Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Couldn't one remove the charge pipe then use a flexible digital borescope? I found significant enough signs of carbon post-EGR that I feel it could only be the same or worse post-intake manifold. Plan is to get it checked out in the next month or so.
If you remove it probably not. If your disconnect it from the anti-shudder valve only then no. You also have to remove the anti-shudder valve to gain access to the EGR and then maybe you could snake on in but I don't know if the swirl flaps are open at rest. Peruse some of the UK sites where guys remove their intakes to install blanks or metal swirl flaps. That'll give you an idea.
      08-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
Hoooper
Captain

Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatzee View Post
you could take off the intake manifold and take a look - it doesn't look like a big job
Its not but you do have to expect to spend a couple hours most likely your first time. The actual process is pretty straight forward, the only key is that the strut tower brace cover at the firewall has to come off or you will struggle with the lower engine cover and won't be able to get the manifold completely off.
      08-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
FormerRotor
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatzee View Post
for the reference of those finding this thread in searches, the DIY shown below demonstrates the removal of the intake manifold in the process of replacing glow plugs...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...5#post13414875

08-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
Hoooper
Captain

^^^mostly the same but a step or two are different, self explanatory except for the strut tower bar cover at the firewall I mentioned. In all though if you have any mechanical inclination that guide will get you there and back
      08-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
tony20009
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Interesting thread. I'd kinda like to know as well.

I'm hoping Yatzee's approach is the easiest because messin' with intake ports, boroscopes (digital or otherwise) swirl flaps and EGRs doens't "sound" easy. But then I haven't any idea what most of those things are, so maybe it's not so hard as it appears to a non-mechanic who's but read the posts above and clearly finds the terminology intimidating.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
      08-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
FormerRotor
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
^^^mostly the same but a step or two are different, self explanatory except for the strut tower bar cover at the firewall I mentioned. In all though if you have any mechanical inclination that guide will get you there and back
I'm going to bite the bullet on this one of these weekends....just too much to do. Your words are encouraging me all that much more though. I should've just gone all the way when I pulled the EGR to clean a few weeks ago.

08-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
Hoooper
Captain

Well, its quite a few more bolts than the egr removal but the egr removal is actually a pretty good start.