E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VTT N54 silione intakes, and charge pipe

11-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Tony@vargasturbotech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: N54

VTT N54 silione intakes, and charge pipe

We finally decided it was time a real intake and charge pipe solution was offered for ALL N54 stock frame turbos. What we have done is design a set of intakes that are a full 2" from turbo to and open up to 2.25" at the filter, these ALSO run in the STOCK location and terminate where the stock inlets do. Meaning, NO relocating of the coolant bottle, NO relocating of the vacuum canisters, you simply pull the old intakes out, and the new ones fit in place, you get to keep your existing DCI, modified stock air box etc. This is most important for European customers with very strict emissions laws, who can be fined, or have cars impounded for modifications as small as intakes. The prototypes are finished and going out for molding this week.

The stock intakes have been proven to be sufficient up and over 600WHP as shown by the Ray Pampena 605WHP dyno video, BUT they are on the small side, and opening up the the intake tract just makes for a more efficient air flow path.

We also have finished our silicone charge pipe prototype, this is a full 1.5" from each turbo, and terminates in a 3" outlet to fit most aftermarket intercoolers. This will be compatible with all N54 stock frame turbos as well.

We feel the factory charge pipe is not actually a restriction in the system, but a nice silicone piece with no heat soak is a welcome addition.

We are excited to bring both of the products to the market, and expect them to be available sometime in the early new year.

We will post pictures as samples come back etc.

Thanks as always for the support!
N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record, Stock Motor: 573WHP / 537WTQ
FACEBOOK - INSTAGRAM - WEBSITE - EMAIL

Appreciate 1
      11-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
JDuke335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 335i M-Sport / Alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@vargasturbotech
We finally decided it was time a real intake and charge pipe solution was offered for ALL N54 stock frame turbos. What we have done is design a set of intakes that are a full 2" from turbo to and open up to 2.25" at the filter, these ALSO run in the STOCK location and terminate where the stock inlets do. Meaning, NO relocating of the coolant bottle, NO relocating of the vacuum canisters, you simply pull the old intakes out, and the new ones fit in place, you get to keep your existing DCI, modified stock air box etc. This is most important for European customers with very strict emissions laws, who can be fined, or have cars impounded for modifications as small as intakes. The prototypes are finished and going out for molding this week.

The stock intakes have been proven to be sufficient up and over 600WHP as shown by the Ray Pampena 605WHP dyno video, BUT they are on the small side, and opening up the the intake tract just makes for a more efficient air flow path.

We also have finished our silicone charge pipe prototype, this is a full 1.5" from each turbo, and terminates in a 3" outlet to fit most aftermarket intercoolers. This will be compatible with all N54 stock frame turbos as well.

We feel the factory charge pipe is not actually a restriction in the system, but a nice silicone piece with no heat soak is a welcome addition.

We are excited to bring both of the products to the market, and expect them to be available sometime in the early new year.

We will post pictures as samples come back etc.

Thanks as always for the support!
I can't wait until you have them ready
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
chepy24
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2009 alpine white 335i xdrive

sounds awesome!.....anxiously awaiting the black friday turbo deals
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
Stucks
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

anxiously awaiting pics of both of these products! should benefit stock turbo applications as well as upgraded ones!
      11-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Garage List
Pics will be

How soon will you have stock vs upgrade dyno comparisons? and will you be doing comparisons on all of you turbo's upgrades?

Any 3D modeling for actual flow design testing? Data sheets for increased airflow?

It will be interesting to see numbers. I was told the intake on the hybrid turbos helps them really make power over 6000 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
Tony@vargasturbotech
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
Pics will be

How soon will you have stock vs upgrade dyno comparisons? and will you be doing comparisons on all of you turbo's upgrades?

Any 3D modeling for actual flow design testing? Data sheets for increased airflow?

It will be interesting to see numbers. I was told the intake on the hybrid turbos helps them really make power over 6000 rpm.
Wedge we are not going that high tech nor do we need to, these are 2" silicone intakes from turbo to filter, 3D modeling is not needed to know these are going to flow better than the stock pancake intakes. We most likely will send a few sets out for people with stock turbos to test, and get results. We will test the upgraded turbos in house, but honestly unlike the other guy blaming everything on restrictive stock intakes, we do not think they are they are that bad, but with all the turbo options on the market, and the power being pulled from stock frame options, it is just time to add a nice intake, and charge pipe to them. The charge pipe will be modeled directly off the stock charge pipe with a much more efficient merge of the 2 banks, and no necking down into the turbos, that is really all that is needed, to make that a better option.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
atinybug
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 07 e92 335i 6mt

Wait so if I'm reading this right, you guys replaced the piping that goes between the airbox to the turbos? As in changed it so it's 2" instead of flattens out behind the engine block? How did you guys manage to find the room to do that?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
Tony@vargasturbotech
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atinybug View Post
Wait so if I'm reading this right, you guys replaced the piping that goes between the airbox to the turbos? As in changed it so it's 2" instead of flattens out behind the engine block? How did you guys manage to find the room to do that?
There is actually some extra room back there, there is a good 1+ inches between the pancake and the firewall, also we are using silicone, which not only does not transfer heat, its got give to it, meaning it can be squeezed into tight spaces, the rear intake is definitely a tight fit, as is the front, but they both fit nicely, and its a much better option then relocating everything.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
Tony@vargasturbotech
Rep

Here are a few pics of the prototypes, these will be taken and molded out of high quality 4 ply, high heat silicone hose, the rear hose will have a built in 1" barb for to make it plug and play with the existing stock PCV system. Also note on the rear pipe there will be no clamps or anything, that is there to hold the pipe so they can get the correct angle when they mold.

Benefits of these over other pipes coming out.

1. Absolutely no heat transfer, an aluminum intake pipe is sucking as much heat out of its surroundings as it can, aluminum transfers heat very rapidly, and stays hot for a very long period of time even after things around it have cooled
2. No relocation, everything stays in its place, no buying different coolant bottles, moving vacuum canisters, none of that stuff, remove the stock intakes, install these in their place
3. For people with very strict emissions laws, you can keep the stock air box in place to avoid costly emissions punishments, while still getting a full flowing intake.

Do not be fooled by competitors claims, silicone intakes will always net lower charge air temps, and are easier to fit due to their flexibility.

As stated we hope to have these ready in early 2015.

First pic is Front, Second is rear, others are fitment of rear pipe, its actually not even as close as the pictures make it look.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tony@vargasturbotech; 11-24-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
jordon335
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 3 series

How do the stock pipes come out? I heard the engine needs to be dropped to remove them? Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
Tony@vargasturbotech
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordon335 View Post
How do the stock pipes come out? I heard the engine needs to be dropped to remove them? Is this true?
Absolutely not true in any way shape or form, whoever told you that should never be allowed to work on an N54. The front pipe is very easy to remove, can be done in 20 minutes. The rear one requires it to be cut to remove it easily, or if the pipe is worth that much to you, with the tranny out, it is very easy to remove as well.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #12
Stucks
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

exciting! People will finally be able to swap out the pancaked sections! I wonder how much of an increase in flow this will generate.
      11-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #13
mindovaanything
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

| Wedge E30+ | Vishnu OFT | BMS: DCI, OCC, CDV, CPS, CF | ER OC & CP| Tial BOV | AMS FMIC | Fuel-It Stage2 | Ebay Catback | AST 4100 | M3 suspension arms | GC Camber plates | ECS Slotted Rotors & SS Lines | Hawk HPS | Apex Arc8 | Hankook RS3 | Seibon Hood | Modmy3 front bumper & lip | RPI Scoops
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
Cloud9blue
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: avoiding the potholes

Whatever to "pushing the boundaries while the other competitor play catch up"... Pretty sure where you guys get this idea from...

But seriously, I don't get care about borrowing other people's idea if you can improve upon it. But in this case, I would much rather stay with stock connectors. Those silicone hose and clamps are a pain in the ass to deal with if there is boost leaks or worse, pops off under high boost. We have seen plenty examples of that happening on charge pipes and FMICs already... And those things are no where near as easy to access as charge pipe or FMIC if there is a leak that needs to be tightened down.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #15
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Whatever to "pushing the boundaries while the other competitor play catch up"... Pretty sure where you guys get this idea from...

But seriously, I don't get care about borrowing other people's idea if you can improve upon it. But in this case, I would much rather stay with stock connectors. Those silicone hose and clamps are a pain in the ass to deal with if there is boost leaks or worse, pops off under high boost. We have seen plenty examples of that happening on charge pipes and FMICs already... And those things are no where near as easy to access as charge pipe or FMIC if there is a leak that needs to be tightened down.
You do realize that these hoses are not pressurized, correct?

Neil
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #16
Tony@vargasturbotech
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post

I think you should go check out our Stage 2+ and stage 3 threads from about 4-5 months ago where we clearly state we are making silicone intakes for not only stage 3, but stock frames as well, we know who is innovating around here. As for "stock connectors" there is no such thing, the inlets use rubber gaskets that push on and easily come off, hence why we made a bracket or the rear, these tubes are not under pressure like intercooler pipes, they are under vacuum, so it is impossible for them to "blow" off. If you are going to make a passive aggressive post, at least arm yourself with basic knowledge of the difference between an intake and a charge pipe..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #17
maximum96
Rep

Drives: 08 e60

Pics of charge pipe? Charge pipe might be easier to replace than the intakes...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 11:23 PM   #18
Cloud9blue
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: avoiding the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@vargasturbotech View Post
I think you should go check out our Stage 2+ and stage 3 threads from about 4-5 months ago where we clearly state we are making silicone intakes for not only stage 3, but stock frames as well, we know who is innovating around here. As for "stock connectors" there is no such thing, the inlets use rubber gaskets that push on and easily come off, hence why we made a bracket or the rear, these tubes are not under pressure like intercooler pipes, they are under vacuum, so it is impossible for them to "blow" off. If you are going to make a passive aggressive post, at least arm yourself with basic knowledge of the difference between an intake and a charge pipe..
My apology then, didn't read the details before commenting on it Didn't realize these are the pre-turbine intake pipings. However, I would be careful with any potential rubbing issue against the firewall and such. Stock engine mounts allows fair a bit of movement under heavy load.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #19
Tony@vargasturbotech
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximum96 View Post
Pics of charge pipe? Charge pipe might be easier to replace than the intakes...
The charge pipe is also best to change during turbo swap, but it is not too bad with them in. It is going to be modeled directly off the stock pipe, with much better transitions, and 100% silicone, we also redesigned the stock Vbands, so you keep the positive attachment while acheiving full flow. We are excited for both.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #20
Alex@PTF
Rep

Drives: E92 N54

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #21
Evil///M
Professional Hitman
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i Street. E36 M3 Track.

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.25]
Ironic, I mentioned about this to you in email a few months ago.
Good job again Tony!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #22
jordon335
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@vargasturbotech View Post
Absolutely not true in any way shape or form, whoever told you that should never be allowed to work on an N54. The front pipe is very easy to remove, can be done in 20 minutes. The rear one requires it to be cut to remove it easily, or if the pipe is worth that much to you, with the tranny out, it is very easy to remove as well.
Tranny dropped is a huge job! So stating they should not work on cars is a bit of an overstatement as he was edging at the fact its very hard and things will need to be moved.

by saying it needs cutting out makes it unattractive to allot that have warranty. As dropping a tranny quickly to return to stock is an understatement. Unless this product gives huge hp gains it seems too much work imo.

thanks for the answer though
Appreciate 0