E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Second owner of Jb4. Need help

10-15-2014, 12:21 AM   #1
RuthlessE92
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

Second owner of Jb4. Need help

So I just bought a jb4 g5 n54 off another member on here. Installed it today and noticed the settings are saved from previous car. Is there a way I can reset it? And also I'm doing a lot of research on programming the settings but just a little confused. I found the chart on n54 tuning but how do I change stuff around and save it?

One more question, what map should I run?

Currently have:
5" intercooler
Charge pipe with hks bov
Bms dci
Complete vishnu catback
Bms occ
91 octain no meth or e85.

Vrsf catless downpipes sitting in my room not installed yet.
      10-15-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
jordon335
Private First Class

Drives: 3 series

There used to be a default setting button but it seems to not be on the interface anymore.

But if you copy all the settings from the n54tech sticky and click save you can manually revert back to stock that way.
      10-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
v1nc86
Lieutenant

Drives: 335xi

Last time I opened the JB4 interface, a few weeks ago, I still had the default setting button.
You should run map 5. With downpipes and 93 octane, you could have use map 2 or map 5, but since you only have 91, I would recommend map 5.
2008 Jet Black E90 335xi | Sport Package | 6AT / Alpina B3 TCU Flash | JB4 G5 / BMS Speed Delimiter | BMS DCI | CP-E Charge Pipe | VRSF 5" Intercooler | BMW Performance Exhaust | VMR V718 / Kumho | Bilstein Sport / Eibach Pro-Kit | Best 1/4: 12.6@109 | YouTube
      10-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
RuthlessE92
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1nc86 View Post
Last time I opened the JB4 interface, a few weeks ago, I still had the default setting button.
You should run map 5. With downpipes and 93 octane, you could have use map 2 or map 5, but since you only have 91, I would recommend map 5.
Run map 5 now even with my stock down pipes? I will only be using 91 nothing else.
      10-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
335NJ
Captain

Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthlessE92 View Post
Run map 5 now even with my stock down pipes? I will only be using 91 nothing else.
Map 5 can be used on a completely stock vehicle, or FBO. It tunes itself based on fuel, and a few other factors.

In the JB4 interface on PC there should be a button to return all settings to default when connected by usb to the JB4.
335NJ is online now   United_States
      10-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
RuthlessE92
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post
Map 5 can be used on a completely stock vehicle, or FBO. It tunes itself based on fuel, and a few other factors.

In the JB4 interface on PC there should be a button to return all settings to default when connected by usb to the JB4.
Ok I will try this later when I get home. So after I reset everything to default settings, how to I adjust new settings and save it?
      10-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
v1nc86
Lieutenant

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Ok I will try this later when I get home. So after I reset everything to default settings, how to I adjust new settings and save it?
What do you want to adjust? I use the default settings since the beginning... except a few options such as Boost on fuel, Startup gauge sweep, Config gauges for 335/535 metric,
2008 Jet Black E90 335xi | Sport Package | 6AT / Alpina B3 TCU Flash | JB4 G5 / BMS Speed Delimiter | BMS DCI | CP-E Charge Pipe | VRSF 5" Intercooler | BMW Performance Exhaust | VMR V718 / Kumho | Bilstein Sport / Eibach Pro-Kit | Best 1/4: 12.6@109 | YouTube
      10-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
RuthlessE92
Second Lieutenant

Ok I figured how to choose and save settings. Now a few new questions I have for you guys and trust me, I've been doing research.

When switching maps (on the fly) from map 0 to map 5. Is it ok to floor it right away or it has to adapt? I was cruising today and a potential race appeare so I switched maps and pushed it.

Last thing, my G5 isn't ISO yet but I want to hook it up to a laptop. Where can I find the file to download for the G5 non ISO. Looks like they only have latest version
      10-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
335NJ
Captain

Quote:
Ok I figured how to choose and save settings. Now a few new questions I have for you guys and trust me, I've been doing research.

When switching maps (on the fly) from map 0 to map 5. Is it ok to floor it right away or it has to adapt? I was cruising today and a potential race appeare so I switched maps and pushed it.

Last thing, my G5 isn't ISO yet but I want to hook it up to a laptop. Where can I find the file to download for the G5 non ISO. Looks like they only have latest version
All new Jb4 firmware updates are for Non-ISO per the main JB4 thread at N54tech.

Map 5 will need atleast 3 seperate WOT runs to adapt, and then will continue to fine tune as you drive. I'm not sure why you'd want to keep changing from map 0 to map 5 though. Just keep it on 5, if you want to drive calmly and save fuel, map 5 will adapt, if you want to haul ass, map 5 will do that.

Read through the FAQ at N54Tech.com for almost every common question.
335NJ is online now   United_States
      Yesterday, 02:57 PM   #10
RuthlessE92
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post
All new Jb4 firmware updates are for Non-ISO per the main JB4 thread at N54tech.

Map 5 will need atleast 3 seperate WOT runs to adapt, and then will continue to fine tune as you drive. I'm not sure why you'd want to keep changing from map 0 to map 5 though. Just keep it on 5, if you want to drive calmly and save fuel, map 5 will adapt, if you want to haul ass, map 5 will do that.

Read through the FAQ at N54Tech.com for almost every common question.
Ok so far I am catching on. I uploaded the firmware and the car threw misfire codes when I WOT so I will be changing spark plugs soon. when I do, I want to do the ISO conversion while the cowl is out. After I upload ISO firmware I can just leave it and go right? Don't have to mess with any of the default settings on the laptop?
      Yesterday, 06:00 PM   #11
335NJ
Captain

Quote:
Ok so far I am catching on. I uploaded the firmware and the car threw misfire codes when I WOT so I will be changing spark plugs soon. when I do, I want to do the ISO conversion while the cowl is out. After I upload ISO firmware I can just leave it and go right? Don't have to mess with any of the default settings on the laptop?
http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_JB4_upgrades.html

If you buy this board, it'll also come pre-loaded with the latest firmware.

When it's time to update the firmware, goto N54Tech and there's a thread listed there with the download links, download the HEX, then using the USB cable connected to the JB4, upload the new HEX via the JB4 Interface program on your computer.