E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Porterfield or Akebono? need help deciding

09-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
nycbr
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 TiAg 328xi

Porterfield or Akebono? need help deciding

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I am replacing the rear pads soon and have narrowed my choice down to Porterfield R4S or Akebono Euro Ceramic. My car is a daily driver [no track work - but I do drive way too fast] and I am looking for performance similar to OEM. TIA for the input!
      09-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
stratplaya06
Captain

Drives: 2008 E92 335xi

I am very happy with my porterfield r4s pads, they bike well at normal temps and very aggressively as they heat up.

Pair with stainless lines and high temp fluid for a nice and affordable braking upgrade.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
stratplaya06 is offline   United_States
      09-29-2012, 02:24 AM   #3
franciscoapg
FAST!!!

Drives: '08 e92 335i, 01' F4i 600cc

If you DD your car and don't want your wheels to blacken over a few days worth of driving, I do recommend the Akebono Euros. I have them on after a switch from OEM and dust is practically gone. Its a HUGE difference. Brake feel however is not recommended to you if you want the exact feel of OEM. These pads have nowhere near the initial bite that OEM does. They definitely do stop but its a more linear increase in stopping ability. Its no longer a sudden jolt the second you apply a touch of pressure the the brake pedal which some prefer, some may not.
franciscoapg is offline   United_States
      09-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode

Drives: BMW 330i 06

I have Akebono Ceramic and they are quite good. I have made a full report on them earlier, you can probably find it with the search function here. Long story short, pedal feel is a little longer, they feel a little wooden when cold (last for 2 brakes applications on cold mornings, doesn't come back after that), but are very good otherwise. Oh, and of course, no dust -at all. I've not tried to Porter, so comparison point is OEM pads.
      09-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Kid Eh
Grand Theft Votto

Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [3.50]
I have the Akebono and will never buy them again. They fit loose and I get an annoying clicking sound whenever I brake. Was going to buy the Porterfields next but realized they don't have clips so they might do the same thing. I'm going back to OEM.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Kid Eh is offline   Canada
      09-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
stratplaya06
Captain

Drives: 2008 E92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
I have the Akebono and will never buy them again. They fit loose and I get an annoying clicking sound whenever I brake. Was going to buy the Porterfields next but realized they don't have clips so they might do the same thing. I'm going back to OEM.
What clips do you mean? The Porterfields have metal clips that fit into the piston, and I don't have any abnormal noise with them.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
stratplaya06 is offline   United_States
      09-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Kid Eh
Grand Theft Votto

Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplaya06 View Post
What clips do you mean? The Porterfields have metal clips that fit into the piston, and I don't have any abnormal noise with them.
After re-reading the post I think they are talking about the race pads. Maybe I'll give them a try. And I know the Akebonos have clips but they fit loose. I've read this before and was told by my mechanic as well. It's embarrassing.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...d+clips&page=2

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Kid Eh is offline   Canada
      09-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
franciscoapg
FAST!!!

Drives: '08 e92 335i, 01' F4i 600cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplaya06 View Post
After re-reading the post I think they are talking about the race pads. Maybe I'll give them a try. And I know the Akebonos have clips but they fit loose. I've read this before and was told by my mechanic as well. It's embarrassing.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ips&page=2
I actually have Akebono Euros not any race version just the regular street pads. I had no fitment issues. When I installed them, I installed them with anti-squeal and I get absolutely no sound out of my brakes. The clips which go into the piston fit perfectly you just have to apply some pressure to fit them in, if they come too loose, you can fan out the springs a bit to spread them out and then install them and that should fix any issue with them.
franciscoapg is offline   United_States
      09-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Dr. G
Brigadier General

Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [4.35]
I have the akebonos and they are SILENT no noises whatsoever.
I can go a month without any brake dust as long as I don't drive in the rain the wheels like freshly washed.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
      09-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
raceyBMW
king of the hills

Drives: 335i coupe

Garage List
1994 530i  [4.25]
2007 335i Coupe  [4.07]
I put Porterfield R4S on the rears, and they dust WAY less than the OEM pads I have on the front (long story on why I am running different rears)
raceyBMW is offline   United_States
      09-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Meeni
Gateropode

Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...d+clips&page=2
I installed them myself, and the clips where present and far from feeling loose. I have experienced no noise of any type.
      10-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Porterfield R4S are old compound design. I blasted through a brand new pair of these in just 2 track days. They also begin to gas out fairly earlier compared to a true track compound like Performance Friction 918.

My recommendation: The R4S are good only if you do not intend to go on the track.

EDIT: The R4S pads do come in with retaining clips. They will not clunk and rattle unlike the Performance Friction 918.
      10-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
335iaz
Cause their greeaaaaat!!!!

Drives: SBM E90 335i

Send a message via AIM to 335iaz
I am running the cool carbon pads, just put them on Saturday .. but they have been great so far. They have the little grooves to plug in the brake sensor.
      10-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag

Drives: 1.9L of fury

Also give Hawk HPS consideration. Much less dust than stock, but without the decreased bite that you'll get with the Akebonos. I had low dust pads for about 6 months and while I loved the near dustless characteristics, I hated the decreased braking performance- especially on very cold days. I am much happier with the HPS, even though they dust a little bit more (still a lot less than stock though).

The HPS had the clips that fit into the caliper piston also.
mike-y is offline   United_States