E90Post
 


E92 Lighting
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2006 330 "head bolt" broke



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
AM330i
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i XDrive
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (0)

2006 330 "head bolt" broke

I noticed oil drops on my garage floor where I park my car. So I looked to see if I could figure out where it was coming from. The left side of the engine is all covered with oil and then I found the head of a bolt laying on top. The bolt that broke is the one that is near the oil filter. I am trying to decide if I want to try and fix this myself or try and use my aftermarket AUL warranty. Has anyone made this repair themselves and if so how difficult or easy was it and how involved was it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

It is very easy. Remove the intake manifold, slide back, extract broken, clean up, torque new one down, replace manifold. Clean up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AM330i View Post
I noticed oil drops on my garage floor where I park my car. So I looked to see if I could figure out where it was coming from. The left side of the engine is all covered with oil and then I found the head of a bolt laying on top. The bolt that broke is the one that is near the oil filter. I am trying to decide if I want to try and fix this myself or try and use my aftermarket AUL warranty. Has anyone made this repair themselves and if so how difficult or easy was it and how involved was it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
AM330i
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i XDrive
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
It is very easy. Remove the intake manifold, slide back, extract broken, clean up, torque new one down, replace manifold. Clean up.
Thanks for the quick reply. As far as removing the manifold, can it just be loosened from the engine and moved enough out of the way to get to the bolt or is there a little more to it than that. Also I have read that there are a couple more bolts under the valve cover that can break. Once the valve cover is removed are they easily accessible.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

The head bolt under the manifold is separate from the valve cover gasket and bolts. I did all of them but at different times. The head bolt requires removing the intake and intake manofld and yes you just unbolt and slide off the head.

The valve cover gasket is more involved and a separate job. I did both by myself and saved a ton of money by doing so and it is not that hard. About $100 in parts for all the jobs. Would be like 1500 from the dealer.




Quote:
Originally Posted by AM330i View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. As far as removing the manifold, can it just be loosened from the engine and moved enough out of the way to get to the bolt or is there a little more to it than that. Also I have read that there are a couple more bolts under the valve cover that can break. Once the valve cover is removed are they easily accessible.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Brad from the OC
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
134
Posts

 
Drives: 325Ia Alpine White
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

I used this basic procedure provided by another poster.

0. Remove everything as if you where doing a spark plug job...
1 see if you can get the bolt high enough to grab it, do so if not you're drilling and tappin it
2, with the bolt up ( no more than 1/2 in)….
Remove the 2 bolts holding the air box; disconnect the front intake...
Unbolt the 3 bolts and 3 nuts...
3. Move it by gentle pulling the intake up, the studs will be a guide... The air box and throttle body will move with it!

4. Completely remove bolt, I you need to drill it, put rags over the intakes on the block.…
Easiest way to remove this bolt would be to use a left direction drill bit… in a drill going in reverse…

5 insert new bolt
6 then install everything back on the car

I was able to pull the front part of the intake manifold off to the side to access the broken bolt. New bolt cost about $5. No other parts needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Brad from the OC
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
134
Posts

 
Drives: 325Ia Alpine White
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

BMW part number for the bolt 11 12 0 392 547
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
Denny347
Captain
8
Rep
613
Posts

 
Drives: SGM 2006 330i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (0)

Be warned, I had this happen to mine. However, there were 2 more broken bolts under the valve cover that I had no idea about until the shop removed it to replace the one that I could see.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
AM330i
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i XDrive
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Thank you for all the replys, This looks like a job I can handle myself. I have heard about the 2 bolts under the valve cover that could also be broke or possibly break in the future and I want to get this taken care of at the same time. Does anyone know if these 2 bolts are easily accessible once the valve cover is removed or is there anything that would be in the way.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Denny347
Captain
8
Rep
613
Posts

 
Drives: SGM 2006 330i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM330i View Post
Thank you for all the replys, This looks like a job I can handle myself. I have heard about the 2 bolts under the valve cover that could also be broke or possibly break in the future and I want to get this taken care of at the same time. Does anyone know if these 2 bolts are easily accessible once the valve cover is removed or is there anything that would be in the way.
They are right there once it is off.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
AM330i
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i XDrive
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Well, I replaced the broken bolt that is visable and was very easy. I removed the valve cover to check the other bolts and found 2 out of the 3 are also broke. In order to get to these bolts the vanos units have to be removed. I talked to my local bmw dealer and they strongly advised me not to try removing the vanos and reinstall myself since they require special holding fixtues to get the timing correct. At this point im not sure what to do. has anyone had any luck with timing the cams with out the required tools or should I just take it to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
jarettg
New Member
Canada
0
Rep
8
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saskatchewan

iTrader: (0)

i took my 06 325xi in for a valve cover gasket replacement as it was leaking oil. the tech broke one of the engine bolts while removing it. bmw dealership tried charging me an extra 1.5 hours labor at $155 an hour to fix their mistake, on top of the $850 job to replace the gasket.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #12
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
andrey_gta's Avatar
Canada
54
Rep
3,388
Posts

 
Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarettg View Post
i took my 06 325xi in for a valve cover gasket replacement as it was leaking oil. the tech broke one of the engine bolts while removing it. bmw dealership tried charging me an extra 1.5 hours labor at $155 an hour to fix their mistake, on top of the $850 job to replace the gasket.
!!! wow
How did you detect this crap?
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: e36M lip Wishlist: //M front arm, coils, n55 eng mnt, headers, LSD, e60 finn diff


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #13
GreaseJunkie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
270
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 e90 330i Black Sapphire
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarettg View Post
i took my 06 325xi in for a valve cover gasket replacement as it was leaking oil. the tech broke one of the engine bolts while removing it. bmw dealership tried charging me an extra 1.5 hours labor at $155 an hour to fix their mistake, on top of the $850 job to replace the gasket.
More like "wow, it's a used car with mileage on it" if he broke it taking it off, it was probably over torqued or crossthreaded to begin with. It's not the mechanic's fault. Although 1.5hrs is high unless it required drilling and tapping.

I found 3 broken valve cover bolts when I changed mine last week. All 3 came right out, but I was defiantly concerned. I made sure to replace all of the bolts while I was in there.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST