E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cost to replace oil pan? $1800?

06-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

Cost to replace oil pan? $1800?

a quick history of the car here:

january 2012 - oil filter housing gasket leak, fixed
march 2012- oil filter housing gasket leaking still, fixed again
today - oil level at minium level, brought in for oil change and to check out the OFHG. i requested them to take a look at it. service advisor asks if i have a warranty on the car, i said i do (through third party) but that i thsouldn't matter since their march 2012 service on the OFHG is covered for 3 months/4000 miles if that is the case. i realized later right after i mentioned it, this guy might try to bilk my car for additional services.

so i just called them and he tells me that the oil pan is leaking and the cost would be $1800 and if he could have the information for my third party warranty. as of now, i'm asking him to send me pictures. i'm still doubting this though.

would it be safe to just get the oil change (i know i'll have to do another later) only and bring my car home, clean the bottom up and drive a few days then bring it to another mechanic for a second opinion? or would it be detrimental to the car to drive it with a supposed leaking oil pan?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: Boosted Bimmer

Depends on how fast it is leaking.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
135Hoser
Custom User Title
Rep

Drives: 09 135i

If the oil is gushing out, no.

If it's just seeping and you keep an eye on the levels? Drive it all you want.

Check where you park for any signs of an oil leak. I'm betting someone didn't clean the engine up well after installing the gasket, and you had some oil leak down the engine so it looks like a pan gasket.

Your idea of cleaning up the pan, and driving it for a few days to prove it's the pan gasket is a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

i think it's a slow leak. the levels dropped steadily from full to minimum over 3-4 months.

the first time the oil filter housing gasket was fixed was by the previous owner. when i brought it in for a PPI, they noticed it was still leaking or that they didn't clean it up the first time. so i brought it back, it turned out it was still leaking and they cleaned it up also.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Oil pan gasket fails on these cars on the higher mileage so I wouldnt sorry this is out of the ordinary. The dealer has "book time" which means hours that represent how long a job can take. The gasket is fairly cheap but the labor can cost a lot.

I dont know the book time on BMW's for oil pan gasket removal but $1800 does sound like a lot. If there labor rate is $125/hr that means they are charging 14 hours to change a gasket which sounds way too high, even transmissions are maybe 10-12 hours book time.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep

Drives: 2006 SGM E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Oil pan gasket fails on these cars on the higher mileage so I wouldnt sorry this is out of the ordinary. The dealer has "book time" which means hours that represent how long a job can take. The gasket is fairly cheap but the labor can cost a lot.

I dont know the book time on BMW's for oil pan gasket removal but $1800 does sound like a lot. If there labor rate is $125/hr that means they are charging 14 hours to change a gasket which sounds way too high, even transmissions are maybe 10-12 hours book time.
this entirely. especially bold
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

here are four pictures he sent me, it looks like the oil has been leaking for a while and not entirely "fresh". i'm just worried about "fresH" oil being oil placed there to exaggerate the issue. i'm paranoid haha.

well i think at this point i'm going to just have them refill the oil and then bring it to another shop for a second opinion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post

what would be a more reasonable time frame to fix? i looked up on realoem and the pan itself is about $450. although i can't imagine why i would need a replacement pan if there was no damage to the underbody?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
here are four pictures he sent me, it looks like the oil has been leaking for a while and not entirely "fresh". i'm just worried about "fresH" oil being oil placed there to exaggerate the issue. i'm paranoid haha.

well i think at this point i'm going to just have them refill the oil and then bring it to another shop for a second opinion.
That looks very real.
Quote:
what would be a more reasonable time frame to fix? i looked up on realoem and the pan itself is about $450. although i can't imagine why i would need a replacement pan if there was no damage to the underbody?
Hmm I dont think they need to replace pan, just gasket which is maybe $20-40

I would expect to pay dealer maybe 4-6 hours labor rate.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

thanks for the reply

looks like i'll have ot get my warranty involved. it's through route 66 where there is no deductible. at this point should i even shop around for service or just get it done at the dealership where the car is at now?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
Bavarian Tech
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [5.00]
Replace Oil Pan Gasket
Manual Trans 7.2
Auto Trans 7.9

By the book, so $1800 is WAY to high
      06-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
phazen23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Forgive my ignorance, but why does it take even 7 hours to change an oil pan gasket? Is it not just a matter of putting on a lift, taking off the belly pan, unbolting a handful of bolts, switching out the gasket and then reversing these steps?

Or is our oil pan coded too?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

he said the subframe has to be taken off?

i called around and got a quote for ~$700 without them visually inspecting the car.

not sure how i want my warranty to handle this.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
blingman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 3er

I have the same oil spillage on my under pan like in your picture and I think my oil pan in leaking also. I'm having someone local do the repair for $300. I lose about a quart of oil every 3-4 months(few quarter size marking on ground whenever I park somewhere, I leave a cardboard on the ground in the garage. I plan on getting fix this week.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
obert
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 E90 N54 335xi

Does someone know if the subframe has to be dropped to get the oil pan gasket replaced ?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
obert
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the reply

looks like i'll have ot get my warranty involved. it's through route 66 where there is no deductible. at this point should i even shop around for service or just get it done at the dealership where the car is at now?
If I was you I would just let the dealer fix it. If it is covered under the warranty you have and it will cost you nothing why not let them fix it ? You paid for the warranty so I would use it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #17
Tzu
Major
Canada
Rep

IIRC you do not need to drop the subframe. I dont have my underbody pics here, but this dude didn't have to. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585855
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #18
obert
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
IIRC you do not need to drop the subframe. I dont have my underbody pics here, but this dude didn't have to. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585855
From reading how much of a pain it is to do with out dropping it, I bet the dealer would drop the subframe just to make sure they do the job the best way with out getting anything dropped in the oil pan and can get it back together with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep

Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i

Yes, the best way is to drop the subframe. There is also a heater/coolant pipe that runs along the front of the subframe that gets in the way, so some coolant work may be required. There is a bit of work involved to get the subframe down, but it doesn't necessarily need to come completely out of the car, though. It should get an alignment done after, since front suspension/steering parts will have been unbolted in the process.
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #20
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

since 6/19 i refilled with 1 quart of oil and have monitored the level every day on my way to work. it hasn't dropped a mark since. around 6/20 i brought it to an independent shop and he took a look, said it was just left over oil that dripped from the oil filter housing gasket months ago (Shelly BMW said they cleaned it up but apparently never did). he kindly wiped and sprayed the bottom clean of oil.

anyways, i'm bringing the car back to the independent shop for an oil change at the end of this month and we'll see if there really was a leak or not. but at this point, it looks like the dealership was trying to pull a fast one on me. the service advisor at Shelly BMW left a voicemail that day and said there was a "substantial" amount of leaking going on too lol, never called me back after i drove off.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #21
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Speaking from experinece here, I dropped my oil pan to see if I spun a rod bearing. Very tedious/labor intensive job. Not sure if you have to, but we dropped the subrame and suspended the engine. I don't see how you can drop the pan unless you do this, as there was absolutley no room. It was even tight with the subrame down.

*FYI, the dealer quoted me $2400 to just drop the pan (subrame was required by their books). I said hell no and took it home, engine knock and all.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #22
2ndname
Autobot
Rep

Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [5.00]
Bringing this back to ask a couple of questions. When they quote you those prices is alignment normally included or is it safe to assume that you'll have to pay separate to get an alignment done?

Anyone got this done and NOT have an alignment done after the fact?