E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Service Engine Soon Light

09-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
syl2us
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 325i

Service Engine Soon Light

Was driving into work the other day on the freeway, traffic came to an abrupt halt which I recognized; I braked and downshifted with plenty of time. This brake may have been harder than most as I was slowing down from 70+ MPH but not slamming on the brakes or anything of that sort. Right as this happened, the SES Light popped on and has stayed on after multiple starts.

Anyone have any ideas to as why?

I have searched and found others who had their light come on, and ususal advice is to have it scanned. For scanning, can you do it from the key as the dealership does it? Or is a diagnostic tool used to read the car? (Also if you could clear up, the diagnostic tool for scanning error codes is not the same setup as the programming cable (Ediabas/INPA) correct?

For either of those, can you purchase those tools? If so, have any links? Would like to evaluate if it is worth it to buy the tool or take it up to auto-zone who scans for free correct?

Thank guys.

Last edited by syl2us; 09-21-2011 at 11:18 AM.
syl2us is offline   United_States
      09-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
syl2us
Second Lieutenant

Also, unrelated... didn't want to create two topics.

What are these threads for? Am I missing something? Kinda scratching my head on this one.

1st pic to give idea where it is, then close ups with 2nd and 3rd pic
Attached Images

09-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Beyer
Private First Class

Drives: Jet Black 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2010 VW GTI  [0.00]
Go to Auto Zone.
      09-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
syl2us
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer View Post
Go to Auto Zone.
Ended up doing that. Came back with code P0128,

P0128 - "Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)".

I have searched the forums and found it is kind of a common problem and it is most likely stuck open. I plan to go back and get it cleared and see if it happens again.

If so, I was hoping if anyone could help me with the part # for the Thermostat or Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor and/or instructions as my CPO just ended and I have seen people say that it cost them $300 - $500 to get fixed from the $tealership but the part costs no more than $50. May throw a DIY request in that section as well.

Thanks and any help is much appreciated, searching RealOEM now and not finding these parts in the radiator breakdown.

Last edited by syl2us; 09-22-2011 at 12:12 PM.
syl2us is offline   United_States
      10-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
GoRomeo
Colonel

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by syl2us View Post
Ended up doing that. Came back with code P0128,

P0128 - "Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)".

I have searched the forums and found it is kind of a common problem and it is most likely stuck open. I plan to go back and get it cleared and see if it happens again.

If so, I was hoping if anyone could help me with the part # for the Thermostat or Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor and/or instructions as my CPO just ended and I have seen people say that it cost them $300 - $500 to get fixed from the $tealership but the part costs no more than $50. May throw a DIY request in that section as well.

Thanks and any help is much appreciated, searching RealOEM now and not finding these parts in the radiator breakdown.
Hi there, saw your post and wanted to ask you the outcome on this isse. Did you end up changing the thermostat and ECT sensor or just Thermostat? I am having the same code... P0128 and want to know where to start. Thanks