E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DIY/ Aftermarket options of making your BMW secure



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
sa12
0
Private
 
Drives: Tanzanite Blue M4
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 73
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
A shock sensor may also be of use if someone tries to tow it. But then you need to think of if you need to also add a tilt sensor lol
Lol! That's the problem. What starts off as:

"I only need this ...." ends up with

"Well what if ........ happens? I might as well add ..... as it only costs ....."

Before you know it, you've already spent enough to have just bought a Viper system in the first place!!
sa12 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #24
makkan00
1
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,357
iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa12 View Post
Excellent thread makkan00.

Your efforts are much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alzieboy View Post
makkan the MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules59 View Post
great thread, many thanks.
Thanks guys. Without your support, I am nothing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Another option on petrol models is to install a cut off switch on to the coil pack power feed. I've done this on mine and with the switch set to off the car will just turn over and never fire. Just extend the wiring somewhere hidden in the car and flick the switch when you use and then turn off the car. Be warned if you don't do it properly your car won't start.

Idnan, can you hook me to this DIY, or can you kindly pm me everything in detail and I will work on it. Once done and got it in easy DIY form, I will add it.
Thanks for your contribution.



Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
That's the premise I've been working on - keeps the scumbags away / out of the car & if they do get in make life as difficult & noisy as possible - warning of broken glass seems a bit poinless if other sensors are able to detect the big hole in the door or an arm waving around!

+1

Once we achieve that, it is not full stop. IanS100, with the passage of time and funds, I guess we should add tracker as well. Just in case.
It also helps when your car goes to dealer / indie / your partner drives. You can be as cheeky as you like.
__________________
makkan00 is online now   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #25
makkan00
1
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,357
iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
A shock sensor may also be of use if someone tries to tow it. But then you need to think of if you need to also add a tilt sensor lol
If I am not wrong, BMW has built-in tilt sensor.

I have seen tilt sensor option while coding to raise the volume of OEM siren.

However it may only trigger when somebody is actually towing your car or X/Y/Z axis of your car moves beyond centrain degrees.

Also one of my friend who works as a parking enforcement officer told me last year that BMW cars have tilt sensor. If they try to tow BMW, it sets off the alarm.

But one of us need to confirm that.
Or if somebody has taken their beamer on a ferry and accidently locked it can confirm it.
__________________
makkan00 is online now   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #26
Cyprio
0
Captain
 
Cyprio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Colchester. UK

Posts: 919
iTrader: (2)

Yep my 2008 330i pre lci had a tilt sensor, it would sound off if I'd forgotten to unlock the car before attempting to jack it up for a wheel change.
Cyprio is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #27
IanS100
0
Colonel
 
IanS100's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d LCI M Sport Plus
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southport UK

Posts: 2,609
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
Yep my 2008 330i pre lci had a tilt sensor, it would sound off if I'd forgotten to unlock the car before attempting to jack it up for a wheel change.
I'll bet that that's something else that was omitted from later models
IanS100 is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #28
idnan
0
Major
 
idnan's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham

Posts: 1,472
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Idnan, can you hook me to this DIY, or can you kindly pm me everything in detail and I will work on it. Once done and got it in easy DIY form, I will add it.
Thanks for your contribution.
I'm going into the ecu compartment tomorrow to fit my no lift shift module so will grab some photos for you guys and I'll PM you.
idnan is online now   England
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
ssc330d
0
Private First Class
 
ssc330d's Avatar
 
Drives: Le Mans Blue 330d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Co. Durham. England.

Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
If I am not wrong, BMW has built-in tilt sensor.

I have seen tilt sensor option while coding to raise the volume of OEM siren.

However it may only trigger when somebody is actually towing your car or X/Y/Z axis of your car moves beyond centrain degrees.

Also one of my friend who works as a parking enforcement officer told me last year that BMW cars have tilt sensor. If they try to tow BMW, it sets off the alarm.

But one of us need to confirm that.
Or if somebody has taken their beamer on a ferry and accidently locked it can confirm it.
I can confirm that my 56 plate has a tilt sensor - I have jacked the car up when locked and the alarm sounded.
__________________
ssc330d is offline   England
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #30
shortie
0
Lieutenant
 
shortie's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320i M sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West Midlands UK

Posts: 562
iTrader: (0)

Will have to give it a try and see if mine has a tilt sensor
__________________
shortie is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #31
makkan00
1
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,357
iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
I'm going into the ecu compartment tomorrow to fit my no lift shift module so will grab some photos for you guys and I'll PM you.

Thanks buddy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc330d View Post
I can confirm that my 56 plate has a tilt sensor - I have jacked the car up when locked and the alarm sounded.
Thats like a proper help! Cheers bud. It will put many minds at rest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
Will have to give it a try and see if mine has a tilt sensor
I think you will trigger your Viper alarm before you can test your tilt sensor.
__________________
makkan00 is online now   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #32
Ste133
0
Lieutenant
 
Ste133's Avatar
 
Drives: A diesel..
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SW London

Posts: 567
iTrader: (5)

These type of threads make my life easier by the simplicity of a list of step by step options available.

Great thread Makkan!
Ste133 is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #33
makkan00
1
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,357
iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste133 View Post
These type of threads make my life easier by the simplicity of a list of step by step options available.

Great thread Makkan!

Thanks Steve.


Unfortunately, another car is stolen last night.

Details.
__________________
makkan00 is online now   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #34
mob17
0
Brigadier General
 
mob17's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Middle Land, UK

Posts: 3,778
iTrader: (4)

Nice thread.

Can't we create an electric field or something, to shock these assholes when they try it?
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE - Ohlins
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
mob17 is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #35
shortie
0
Lieutenant
 
shortie's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320i M sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West Midlands UK

Posts: 562
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
I wonder, can two,_OH_five work out how to integrate a break glass sensor such as the one below in the same way they have with the shock / proximity sensors.

http://www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk/directe...or-p-5593.html
Another option if you can figure it out, is adding a high pitched internal cabin piezo siren down i the footwell area. High pitched enough to make your ears hurt if you go near the OBD port
__________________
shortie is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #36
two,_OH_five
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK south coast

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
Great thread mate Credit goes to you

So there takes me back to the thought of adding a glass break sensor which works solely on sound. I wonder, can two,_OH_five work out how to integrate a break glass sensor such as the one below in the same way they have with the shock / proximity sensors.

http://www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk/directe...or-p-5593.html


Finally, and maybe two,_OH_five can comment, i think the location of the proximity sensor is too high mounted there by the interior light, it needs to be in the middle of the car; handbrake location would be ideal.

From experience with previous cars and previous alarms, if set too sensitive or located too near the roof, you will suffer a lot of false alarms when it rains as it picks up the pools of water running off the roof, registering the movement and activating the alarm.

HTH
I have had some false triggers but at the moment I have the sensor set up to alert if a mozzie farts within a 10 mile radius of the car. Fine tuning the sensitivity is part of the process as I have no installer track record to give me a place to start.

It remains to be seen whether the correctly set up sensor does suffer false triggering when it rains. Looking at the sky tonight this may get tested soon
If it is a problem then moving the sensor into the centre console is the next logical step - this also allows more sensors to be ganged together in a slightly better controlled way.

As far as other sensors go, it looks to me like the DEI glassbreak sensor will hook into the system in the exact same way.
I have the DEI shock sensor so I can check multiple sensors paralleled up to see if it will all work as expected. I imagine it will without issue. I haven't hooked it up yet as I don't see it being hugely helpful - tea leaves have been using centre punches to break glass since forever instead of twatting things with hammers

Note
If anyone is thinking of hooking multiple DEI (or probably others) sensors it's a good idea to use diodes on each trigger. Check the last connection option in this install guide for the DEI 506T glass break sensor. You can get diodes from Maplin for next to nothing

Another thing I might explore would be using an "active" dummy OBD port so that even if all the other sensors fail plugging in a programmer would automatically sound the alarm. This strikes me as a better idea than dog poo, razor wire and tazers, much as the tazer idea appeals


Another option for aftermarket Tracker style systems for the DIY minded :- Tramigo T22
Never used one, no idea how effective it may be but it's subscription free and would only seem to need a PAYG sim card. It's a permanent install unit so can be buried away from prying eyes but of course it can also be defeated by removing power from the car. Swings and roundabouts

Another useful resource for exploring what is available is DEI Products store. It's a US site but Directed Electronics have a UK office and distributor
Note, I refer to DEI quite a lot. I'm in no way connected to them but since they make all the Clifford and Viper gear I personally prefer their products over eBay specials. For example I'm planning to fit a 513T as a bringer of pain/siren upgrade
two,_OH_five is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #37
sa12
0
Private
 
Drives: Tanzanite Blue M4
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 73
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by two,_OH_five View Post
Another thing I might explore would be using an "active" dummy OBD port so that even if all the other sensors fail plugging in a programmer would automatically sound the alarm. This strikes me as a better idea than dog poo, razor wire and tazers, much as the tazer idea appeals
This is a very good idea! I'm gonna look into this when I get back from my holiday, if my car is still here when I get back....
sa12 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #38
shortie
0
Lieutenant
 
shortie's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320i M sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West Midlands UK

Posts: 562
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by two,_OH_five View Post
I have had some false triggers but at the moment I have the sensor set up to alert if a mozzie farts within a 10 mile radius of the car. Fine tuning the sensitivity is part of the process as I have no installer track record to give me a place to start.
I have previously utilised a hose pipe lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by two,_OH_five View Post
As far as other sensors go, it looks to me like the DEI glassbreak sensor will hook into the system in the exact same way.
I have the DEI shock sensor so I can check multiple sensors paralleled up to see if it will all work as expected. I imagine it will without issue. I haven't hooked it up yet as I don't see it being hugely helpful - tea leaves have been using centre punches to break glass since forever instead of twatting things with hammers

Note
If anyone is thinking of hooking multiple DEI (or probably others) sensors it's a good idea to use diodes on each trigger. Check the last connection option in this install guide for the DEI 506T glass break sensor. You can get diodes from Maplin for next to nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by two,_OH_five View Post
For example I'm planning to fit a 513T as a bringer of pain/siren upgrade
I need a photo how2 or i havent got a clue lol
__________________
shortie is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #39
sa12
0
Private
 
Drives: Tanzanite Blue M4
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 73
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by two,_OH_five View Post
For example I'm planning to fit a 513T as a bringer of pain/siren upgrade
Do you mean that you would be connecting the 513T to activate along with the OEM siren or would you only trigger the 513T when a specific sensor is triggered i.e the 'live' ODB port you referred to?
sa12 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #40
shortie
0
Lieutenant
 
shortie's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320i M sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West Midlands UK

Posts: 562
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa12 View Post
Do you mean that you would be connecting the 513T to activate along with the OEM siren or would you only trigger the 513T when a specific sensor is triggered i.e the 'live' ODB port you referred to?
Ideally you would want both to activate together, main siren to warn the owner and high pitched siren to make offender not want to put their head through the window
__________________
shortie is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #41
sa12
0
Private
 
Drives: Tanzanite Blue M4
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 73
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
Ideally you would want both to activate together, main siren to warn the owner and high pitched siren to make offender not want to put their head through the window
That should be easy to wire as you'd only need to connect it in parallel with the OEM siren with a relay to power it.
sa12 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #42
parapaul
0
Colonel
 
parapaul's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330d M Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stoke on Trent

Posts: 2,216
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Right, that's me (hopefully) sorted.

OBD relocation tomorrow, extension cable ordered, and "OBD Disabled" decals ordered. Total cost about 10.
__________________
Just how many Yorkshire sheep can you fit inside one exhaust?
parapaul is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #43
Dizzle
0
Major
 
Dizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK, Staffordshire

Posts: 1,151
iTrader: (0)

Excellent post..... anyone fitted the louder siren? Seems a cheap and very feasible
__________________
Dizzle is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #44
Cyprio
0
Captain
 
Cyprio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Colchester. UK

Posts: 919
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Excellent write up makkan00, this info should be in a Sticky
+1, well done Sam, a good bit of work done here.
Cyprio is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST