E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > HELP! O2 Sim

09-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
sirantsE90
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: N51 E90

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
HELP! O2 Sim

Hey Guys,

My current exhaust setup is the removal of oem muffler and secondary cats. I unfortunately have a ses light on, which is throwing the 1449-1447 generic rear o2 sensor code. Problem is a failed inspection of course and have 2 weeks to get it fixed. I want to run catless headers anyway so an O2 sim would be ideal.

MaximumPSI - Told me they could then 5 days later said no...

Turner will only sell me the n54 active autowerke fix to see if it works.

Bimmerworks - They have a can do it but wont touch it unless its a racecar since there is a hefty fine if its not. (totally understandable)

No I do not just want to get the vishnu flash or active tune since i still need the O2s to be readable through the OBD!! not just turn of the SES light.

Any of you guys with catless headers figure this out? If not ill just replace the O2 sensors and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for your help.
      09-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
playground
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: E90 ///M3

See if the fuse in the DME box is burnt, if so then it is your heating element causing you issues.

Secondary cats don't throw emission errors.
      09-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
sirantsE90
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by playground View Post
See if the fuse in the DME box is burnt, if so then it is your heating element causing you issues.

right, so I figured the o2 sensors just went bad. Thank you I will check that tonight when I get home.
      09-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Drives: E90 N52 AT

bms downpipe fix has worked for others. I haven't been able to configure it properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
sirantsE90
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
bms downpipe fix has worked for others. I haven't been able to configure it properly.
Do you know who? I talked to bms and they said it definitely wont work, but if some of these guys have done it Ill give it a shot. If you configure yours properly do you mind taking pictures?

Thanks
      09-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirantsE90 View Post
Do you know who? I talked to bms and they said it definitely wont work, but if some of these guys have done it Ill give it a shot. If you configure yours properly do you mind taking pictures?

Thanks
I talked to someone who has done it successfully and he told me that it will vary car to car. It's best to just follow BMS's instructions. Im actually going to pull mine out because I will just wait for the Vishnu tablet or hopefully the latest open source thing catches and I can code out the error.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
hot330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 330i & 335xi, Ducati 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
I talked to someone who has done it successfully and he told me that it will vary car to car. It's best to just follow BMS's instructions. Im actually going to pull mine out because I will just wait for the Vishnu tablet or hopefully the latest open source thing catches and I can code out the error.
lol, that was me.
ok, let me clearify something up, the DP fix I have is from MMW, when he was selling his headers and including the DP fix with header purches. I only bought the DP fix, according to MMW their DP fix is made specifically for the N52 by BMS and gave me the same installation instructions from BMS's web site. I assumed they were the exact same DP fix, I could be way wrong.
the one I have is a narrow band reads (0-1 volt) the one BMS sells on their site maybe a wide band (0-4 volts) that's maybe why the ones BMS has does not work on the N52.
the DP fix I have works on my car, I know for a fact that my car is a narrow band O2 sensor, I have mesaured the voltage on the yellow wire (#20) and it does read 0-1, not sure when BMW switched to wide band O2 sensor or if they are still all narrow band.
http://burgertuning.com/instructions/BMSdownpipefix.pdf

so, on that note , I apologize to a few member I have given the infomation to that the DP fix from BMS will work on the N52.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot&now View Post
lol, that was me.
ok, let me clearify something up, the DP fix I have is from MMW, when he was selling his headers and including the DP fix with header purches. I only bought the DP fix, according to MMW their DP fix is made specifically for the N52 by BMS and gave me the same installation instructions from BMS's web site. I assumed they were the exact same DP fix, I could be way wrong.
the one I have is a narrow band reads (0-1 volt) the one BMS sells on their site maybe a wide band (0-4 volts) that's maybe why the ones BMS has does not work on the N52.
the DP fix I have works on my car, I know for a fact that my car is a narrow band O2 sensor, I have mesaured the voltage on the yellow wire (#20) and it does read 0-1, not sure when BMW switched to wide band O2 sensor or if they are still all narrow band.
http://burgertuning.com/instructions/BMSdownpipefix.pdf

so, on that note , I apologize to a few member I have given the infomation to that the DP fix from BMS will work on the N52.
Lol. that explains a lot. I haven't been able to configure it to work on my car. I wonder why BMS won't offer these again if they have made them prior. I wish there was a proven mechanical means.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2014 435I M-sport

We might be able to turn it off via a software flash.
      09-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
MBP0202
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: n52

Quote:
Originally Posted by playground

^ +1

If you end up installing catless headers you can choose either AA or Evolve. Depending on what state you live in, you can just turn off the CEL light and pass (AA)

Or if you live in a state where the CEL light needs to be off and the o2 sensors have to show "ready" then Evolve would work.

There's a good review in the 128 forum by member "The Stig"

2007 E90 328xi l 6MT l Sparkling Graphite Metallic l ZSP l ZPP l ZCW l iDrive l Logic 7 l MMW Headers l AA Stage 2 l BMW Performance Intake l BMW Performance Exhaust l Euphoria 6K LED interior l Blacklines l V3 Mtec l VMR VB3
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
sirantsE90
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
We might be able to turn it off via a software flash.
Yeah I spoke to Viral and he said to call performance lounge by me but no response from them. I know the MAC guys do it to so might have to make the trip over there if its not the fuse that I will check in the morning. I need to pass inspection and be able to run catless headers soon, so would love if the flash worked.
      09-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
sirantsE90
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP0202 View Post
^ +1

If you end up installing catless headers you can choose either AA or Evolve. Depending on what state you live in, you can just turn off the CEL light and pass (AA)

Or if you live in a state where the CEL light needs to be off and the o2 sensors have to show "ready" then Evolve would work.

There's a good review in the 128 forum by member "The Stig"
Thank you, if its not the fuse then looks like ill go with evolve.
      09-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

for the record. I emailed Terry @ BMS and he wouldn't answer me straight. I asked if he made the o2 sims previously and he said we dont offer that. I asked again did you used to and he just didn't respond.....Not sure what all the beating around the bush is for.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
sirantsE90
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by playground View Post

Is this the single fuse you are talking about? I have seen in other pictures(mostly M3s) that they have a little black box that has 4-5 in a row. I dont have that. I only have this one fuse. Thanks for your help guys

09-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
cuco
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 85 BMW R80

I would stay away from the BMS fix. After making me a set of catless downpipes, I installed the bms fix. I then started measuring my car's performance with a passport gt2 to get 0-60 times. In summary, the higher the setting on the bms, the less performance I would get out of the car (average 0-60 was around 6.7s). I decided to take the bms out, reset the adaptations and 100 miles later (did a reset on the cel too) did a couple of 0-60 runs. To my surprise I got averages of (6.2s with a best time of 6.15s) and the car felt way more faster than when it had the bms. Any time the cel light would turn on again the performance would also decrease, my 0-60 runs would go down to averages of 6.4s. So I had my Inpa loaded laptop to turn off the light every time it would go on, until I had the AA installed.

The secondary 02 sensors monitor the AFR, if you mess with that, you will mess with the ECU fuel tables. Anytime the CEL light turns on, the ECU runs in "safe mode" and it feels as if the ECU turns pulls back the timing and you get less performance. I'd say the best solution is to get a tune like AA or Evolve.