E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Tail light running lights not working but brakes and reverse lights do

07-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
blisstik
Major
No_Country
Rep

Drives: E92

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Tail light running lights not working but brakes and reverse lights do

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out a problem with my E92 driver side tail light. It's not the one hooked up to the trunk.

The problem is only the brake lights and reverse lights work. I have tried swapping the 3 clear light bulbs from the passenger side which are working and it still does not work.

What I notice is that the running lights only work when you mount the bulb holder to the housing because there are two pins that connect there.

So is it the holder or the actual housing that's bad? Anyone have any idea on how to pin point the bad part prior to buying anything?
      07-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
pre-LCI E92 taillights/running lights are LEDs not bulbs. The only bulbs in that housing are two brake lights, one backup light, and one turn signal. (should be three clear bulbs and one amber - or silver coated amber - one)

If you can't identify a bad connection and fix it... yeah, you know where this is going.

So you identified the connection that gives power to the driver's side running light by messing with the pass side I'm assuming? I would try probing for voltage at that connection with the holder out but the parking lights on, see if you have good voltage there. then tighten up those connections if you can & try mounting it. Worst case apply whatever voltage is on those wires (not sure if it is 12v or not) directly to the terminals on the housing. If none of that works, likely you're looking at a new housing.

good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
blisstik
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't know pre-LCI E92s have LED running tail lights. I guess those two connection points on the housing give it power.
      07-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
That's what I'm assuming, I haven't had to mess with mine. If you get stuck troubleshooting let me know and I can look @ my car and see if I can give you some more detailed info.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
blisstik
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quick update. I took out the bulb holder on both sides.

I then used some speaker wire to connect the passenger side bulb holder (there are two circular points) to the driver side tail light connections. No LED.

I then took the driver's side bulb holder and connected it to the passenger side and it lit up.

This means there's power coming in and the actual tail light housing with LED needs replacement.
      08-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

yeah sounds like you figured it out. So long as you're sure that your wires were making good contact to the contacts in the housing, sounds like you're looking at what I was afraid of - new taillight housing time. Wish you had better news...

I guess you could try to bake it open and see if there's an obvious broken connection somewhere that you could repair, but then sealing it up again can be problematic.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
lilez19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335i sedan

i have the same problem but i have the tail lights hooked to the trunk isnt working. how do we replace that bulb? or can i just take the car to the dealer for them to replace it ? my car is still under warranty, just got it a month ago
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
blisstik
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilez19
i have the same problem but i have the tail lights hooked to the trunk isnt working. how do we replace that bulb? or can i just take the car to the dealer for them to replace it ? my car is still under warranty, just got it a month ago
Dealer it since you have warranty. Is it the tail lights that's out? It is LED infused in the taillight.
      06-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
ijaz_wealthmaxtor
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW 328i xdrive e90

same issue 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilez19 View Post
so lilez19 did you know what was wrong with your car. i am having the exact same issue. i am assuming its the fuse. because the trunk one and the rear left light both of them are not working.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
lilez19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijaz_wealthmaxtor
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilez19 View Post
so lilez19 did you know what was wrong with your car. i am having the exact same issue. i am assuming its the fuse. because the trunk one and the rear left light both of them are not working.
I took my car to the dealer and they fixed it, I believe there were something loose because every time I hit the trunk the light will light up or go off =\
Appreciate 0