E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > any car mechanics here? Help!

09-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
rphan2
Registered
Rep
Drives: na

any car mechanics here? Help!

My sister's 2000 accord has been leaking some kind of oil that I've noticed each morning. The mechanic said its transmission oil and when he lifted the car, he showed me the oil leak. He said all he can do is try to put in a seal and it cost 90 bucks. Anyways, the leaking hasn't really stopped and I'm not sure if anything else can be done since the mechanic said if the seal won't help, there isn't much I can do other than check the fluid and refill it when low? It's not a major leak, but the oil spots each morning are annoying and worrisome to me. I plan on taking it to another shop, but just wanted to look for any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

There is some stuff called transmission stop leak you can pour in the fill tube... It's basically a band aid. Unless you bring it to someone who can diagnose the real problem. Could be any number of things with a car that age. If you are able to, try and post some pictures of where it is coming from.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: caprice wagon

dont put stop leak in it. fix the leak.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by passing View Post
dont put stop leak in it. fix the leak.
+1 it will damage the tranny. If it is an automatic, might be the seal on the oil pan. If it is a stick, might be the main shaft seal. If it is coming from the bell housing of the tranny, it could also be a rear main seal. You will have to drop the tranny to get to the rear main seal. Hope that this help.

Eric
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

+100000 on NOT using the stop leak. An auto tranny of that vinatge is nothing more than a hydraulic pump, so if you use something that will stop leaks in that pump logically what else will it inhibit from happening correctly. Fix it right or just check and fill and expect your car to be nicknamed the Valdez.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

try a honda forum?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: caprice wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
+100000 on NOT using the stop leak. An auto tranny of that vinatge is nothing more than a hydraulic pump, so if you use something that will stop leaks in that pump logically what else will it inhibit from happening correctly. Fix it right or just check and fill and expect your car to be nicknamed the Valdez.
funny you mention this.

many vehicles ago, i owned a boosted G35. my car leaked oil from every possible place for no apparent reason so we called it the exxon valdez. hahah
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
rphan2
Registered
Rep
Drives: na

Lol, I just bought stop leak today, but I guess I won't use it. The mechanic put in a seal, but the leak is still happening. He says it's probably the transmission fluid judging from where the oil stains were when he lifted the car. I probably have to take it to someone else to check out. Any suggestions on what to ask the guy to look for so I don;t get ripped off assuming the leak is the transmission oil?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
expect your car to be nicknamed the Valdez.
he he he, wonder if more people understand the meaning
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #10
TommyRiordan
New Cars In India
India
Rep
Drives: Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphan2 View Post
My sister's 2000 accord has been leaking some kind of oil that I've noticed each morning. The mechanic said its transmission oil and when he lifted the car, he showed me the oil leak. He said all he can do is try to put in a seal and it cost 90 bucks. Anyways, the leaking hasn't really stopped and I'm not sure if anything else can be done since the mechanic said if the seal won't help, there isn't much I can do other than check the fluid and refill it when low? It's not a major leak, but the oil spots each morning are annoying and worrisome to me. I plan on taking it to another shop, but just wanted to look for any suggestions.
Well I think it is just a minor problem not so big any mechanic can do it or you can visit the service station of Accord.
Appreciate 0