E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > for those with vorshlag camber plates

08-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
335okc
Captain

Drives: e90 335

for those with vorshlag camber plates

i just installed vorshlag camber plates on my e90, i have koni FSD and oem spring.
the camber plates are slightly slimmer than OEM top spool.
now the top bolt of my koni is rubbing on the strut brace.

questions for you guys with vorshlag camber plates, do you have to take your strut brace off? or this was never a problem anywhere else?
      08-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Autobahn335i
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 335i

I wouldn't recommend taking the strut brace off! Maybe go with the M3 brace?
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Íhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Powerflex Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Autobahn335i is offline   Luxembourg
      08-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
grennx

Drives: '07 E92 335i

You can raise the strut brace with washers. With Koni yellows you still will not be able to access adjustment pin. M3 strut brace solves this problem.
grennx is offline   United_States
      08-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
335okc
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by grennx View Post
You can raise the strut brace with washers. With Koni yellows you still will not be able to access adjustment pin. M3 strut brace solves this problem.
that's exactly what i did.
but I'm noticing clunk clunk whenever i hit abrupt bumps. i wonder what's causing it.
just happened after the install and this isn't my first suspension work lol. I've asked vorshlag but haven't received any response yet.

is it normal? I'm fine with the nose if its normal.
      09-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
asilva

Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
that's exactly what i did.
but I'm noticing clunk clunk whenever i hit abrupt bumps. i wonder what's causing it.
just happened after the install and this isn't my first suspension work lol. I've asked vorshlag but haven't received any response yet.

is it normal? I'm fine with the nose if its normal.
I just installed my KW's with the Vorshlag plates today and am noticing a similar clunk when hitting bumps in the road. Did you ever find out if this was normal, or is there something that I've missed during the install? I'm in the same boat, if it's normal, then l'm fine with living the the noise, but i just want to make sure something isn't screwed up. After doing some research on the boards, I read quite a few people recommended these because they weren't noisy. Maybe I just misread and didn't notice that it might have said "not AS noisy." Either way, if you've heard anything on it, or those that already have them installed know, I'd be interested in knowing.

Last edited by asilva; 09-08-2012 at 11:16 PM.
      09-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
335okc
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilva View Post
I just installed my KW's with the Vorshlag plates today and am noticing a similar clunk when hitting bumps in the road. Did you ever find out if this was normal, or is there something that I've missed during the install? I'm in the same boat, if it's normal, then l'm fine with living the the noise, but i just want to make sure something isn't screwed up. After doing some research on the boards, I read quite a few people recommended these because they weren't noisy. Maybe I just misread and didn't notice that it might have said "not AS noisy." Either way, if you've heard anything on it, or those that already have them installed know, I'd be interested in knowing.
i haven't heard much from vorshlag, they recommend me checking the top bolt to make sure its tight. my suspension tech recommend installing a washer on top top marker sure i don't hit bottom of thread with the nut. i did it and its a tad better but the noise is still there on sharper bump.
      09-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
asilva

I'll give the washer thing a shotand see what happens. I still need to get it aligned so maybe I can ask the shop about it when I go to get it done.
      09-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
asilva

After a quick inspection, I think I've found my problem, and it goes back to the original post. There's not enough room between the top of the strut and the strut brace. Hopefully a washer or two will fix this and the noise will go away. If the M3 strut brace fixes this problem, anybody have any suggestions on where to get one, or similar style of it that goes on the strut tower?

Edit: back to square one. Popping noise is still there, and i can't spot where it's coming from

Last edited by asilva; 09-09-2012 at 01:02 PM.
      09-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
asilva

OK. So it turns out the nut at the top of the strut is too long, so it doesn't have the ability to pull the strut up as high as it needs to. This creates a tiny gap which allows the strut to move and smack around into the camber plate assembly. Luckily, Vorshlag is right down the street from me, so I got a chance to go visit them and explain what was going on. They've told me that KW (along with other strut manufacturers) has likely changed the profile of their strut, so the kit they ship doesn't work with certain types. With the KW, there are plenty of threads up top, so they were able to give me a top spool and just use a traditional locking nut to snug everything up. You should be able to call Vorshlag and ask about getting a different setup that goes on the top of the camber plate assembly. I worked with Terry, so if you give him a call, he should know what you're talking about. They are reachable at 972-422-7170.

In short.... No, the noise isn't normal, so just give Vorshlag a call and they should be able to get you fixed up.
      09-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
335okc
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilva View Post
OK. So it turns out the nut at the top of the strut is too long, so it doesn't have the ability to pull the strut up as high as it needs to. This creates a tiny gap which allows the strut to move and smack around into the camber plate assembly. Luckily, Vorshlag is right down the street from me, so I got a chance to go visit them and explain what was going on. They've told me that KW (along with other strut manufacturers) has likely changed the profile of their strut, so the kit they ship doesn't work with certain types. With the KW, there are plenty of threads up top, so they were able to give me a top spool and just use a traditional locking nut to snug everything up. You should be able to call Vorshlag and ask about getting a different setup that goes on the top of the camber plate assembly. I worked with Terry, so if you give him a call, he should know what you're talking about. They are reachable at 972-422-7170.

In short.... No, the noise isn't normal, so just give Vorshlag a call and they should be able to get you fixed up.
Hey, thanks a bunch for the update! that's what we suspected, but wouldn't the washer technique work? so i just need a lot more washers?
      09-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #11
asilva

The washer technique works, provided that you have enough washers to cover whatever the gap is. In my case, two washers appeared to do the trick. Ideally, it's nice to not have to rig it with washers. I was just lucky enough to realize vorshlag was right down the street from me so I could just run down and explain it to them.