E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > O2 sensor shorted out - help needed

04-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
Lloyd Braun

Drives: bmw

Question O2 sensor shorted out - help needed

Ok guys, here is the deal. My car has had some issues and threw the following codes.

P0031
P0051
P0037
P0057
P2C9C
P2C9D
P2C9E
P2C9F

As I understand it, these are the o2 sensor codes and o2 sensor heater circuit codes.

It is important to note that my car, although I am the second owner, DOES NOT have downpipes, never had downpipes according to the prior owner who i trust (the car had zero power mods when i bought it).

I brought the car to the dealer who diagnosed the problem, which was that the o2 sensor on the side of the engine on the passenger side had popped out of a clip and basically rested on the exhaust manifold / downpipe and burned and shorted out.

The fix they recommend is replacing all 4 o2 sensors and the DME. The car runs totally fine, zero issues with idle or anything, so I am not thinking the DME is affected, but I could be wrong.

The dealer has rejected my warranty claim, claiming that because they have never seen any o2 sensor wire pop out of this clip, that it must have been tampered with. Despite the lack of mechanical prying marks on the metal clip, or any explanataion as to why someone would try to remove that part. I have escalated my complaint all the way up, and am out of luck.

This is my only car, so i am going to be having my favorite indy shop here in Houston fix the car. They think it may just be the one o2 sensor and the o2 sensor harnesses, but this really is out of my comfort zone as far as diagnosing the car.

I really dont care about the money it costs to fix the car, i just refuse to give the dealer any of my money since its total BS that they voided my claim based on pretty close to zero evidence.

Anyone seen this before? Any clues on what the possible fix could be? I just want to have an idea before I bring the car in on Monday next week.

Pics attached. Any help is appreciated, it sucks to be out in the cold on your own on something like this. I have seen stories of the dealer being completely out of line on denying claims, but never thought it would happen to me.

04-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
eric@h

Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Chalk it up to bad luck. There's no reason to swap all four sensors: a dealer will charge you a grand or more for that work. Get your shop to either fix the wires, or replace just that sensor. Note: the wires in your O2 sensor are special thermocouple wires that are coated and don't play nicely with solder if the technician wants to splice in regular stuff. Best to replace the sensor.
eric@h is offline   United_States
      04-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
MDORPHN
Colonel

Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric@helix View Post
Chalk it up to bad luck. There's no reason to swap all four sensors: a dealer will charge you a grand or more for that work. Get your shop to either fix the wires, or replace just that sensor. Note: the wires in your O2 sensor are special thermocouple wires that are coated and don't play nicely with solder if the technician wants to splice in regular stuff. Best to replace the sensor.
OP: Listen to this man!

Neil
      04-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Lloyd Braun

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric@helix View Post
thanks, eric

why do you think it causing codes in all 4 sensors and heater circuits?

i would at miniumum think the o2 sensor just needs to be fully replaced.

and BTW, they are trying to charge 2500 to replace the DME (still dont understand this, but then idk why all 4 sensors are showing codes either?) and 4 o2 sensors

Last edited by Lloyd Braun; 04-05-2013 at 09:55 AM.
      04-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
cwarren
Lieutenant

Drives: 08 e92

you have to replace that one anyway just replace the one clear codes and see how it goes . don't make since to me to replace all of them right off the bat . unless you just want too ...
      04-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Lloyd Braun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren View Post
you have to replace that one anyway just replace the one clear codes and see how it goes . don't make since to me to replace all of them right off the bat . unless you just want too ...
I dont want to, just trying to see how to get it fixed and understanding what i can expect to happen

i plan on having a shop do this
      04-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive
Banned

Drives: E90 M3 Active Supercharged

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
Check your crankcase heater inside the manifold, once shorting out it can constantly pop the fuse.
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive is offline   Canada
      04-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
techwhiz
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Call bmwusa and have a case opened. Just because they have never seen it does not make it impossible. If the plastic became brittle and failed it could happen.
techwhiz is offline   United_States