E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Crackle "pop corn" exhaust

09-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
matt.nbg
Private

Drives: e90

Crackle "pop corn" exhaust

Hello,

I recently purchased an 07 e90. I come from the Subaru STi community, so in modding this car I really want to get a great sound out of it. I know it is not a Subaru and it's a completely different car, but I was wondering if anyone has any idea which exhaust set up will allow me to attain the crackle and popping noise during down shifts and hard acceleration that a lot of VW's and some E92's with after market set ups have. I know some people pull it off with straight pipe axel backs with cats, I'm just unsure.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot
      09-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
youngb4
Private

Drives: 2011 E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.nbg View Post
Hello,

I recently purchased an 07 e90. I come from the Subaru STi community, so in modding this car I really want to get a great sound out of it. I know it is not a Subaru and it's a completely different car, but I was wondering if anyone has any idea which exhaust set up will allow me to attain the crackle and popping noise during down shifts and hard acceleration that a lot of VW's and some E92's with after market set ups have. I know some people pull it off with straight pipe axel backs with cats, I'm just unsure.

Thanks a lot
Hi OP, I just recently purchased the BMW PE for my '11 e92 335i and all I can say is WOW! . It gives plenty of pops and gurgles on down shifts; makes a lot of people rubberneck and stare. I don't notice any pops and gurgles on acceleration, however, but I find it to emit a pretty mean tone when it gets above 2.5k rpm. It's aggressive but still refined at the same time, and plenty loud for me . Really gives you the impression it was designed EXACTLY for our cars. I will probably be posting a more in depth review and hopefully a sound clip or two in a bit, just too busy to get around to that now. Good luck!
      09-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
matt.nbg
Private

Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngb4
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks a lot
Hi OP, I just recently purchased the BMW PE for my '11 e92 335i and all I can say is WOW! . It gives plenty of pops and gurgles on down shifts; makes a lot of people rubberneck and stare. I don't notice any pops and gurgles on acceleration, however, but I find it to emit a pretty mean tone when it gets above 2.5k rpm. It's aggressive but still refined at the same time, and plenty loud for me . Really gives you the impression it was designed EXACTLY for our cars. I will probably be posting a more in depth review and hopefully a sound clip or two in a bit, just too busy to get around to that now. Good luck!
Wow thanks so much for your reply. That sounds like a great investment for your car. Are you tuned? Also do you have any idea if that exhaust will fit the E90? Thanks
      09-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Dinan exhaust slaughters the BMW PE in every way. Love mine. I actually scared the shit out of a bunch of people in an underpass because it fired like a shotgun the other day
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
      09-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
youngb4
Private

Drives: 2011 E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Dinan exhaust slaughters the BMW PE in every way. Love mine. I actually scared the shit out of a bunch of people in an underpass because it fired like a shotgun the other day
Slaughters it in the overpriced stat. as well . Gentle jabs aside, the Dinan is a great sounding exhaust as well, but to be honest when I heard them on N55's in person, I couldn't make out a huge difference? The Dinan sounded a bit deeper to me, but other than really lusting over the black diamond tips, I couldn't justify paying $200 dollars more than the base price of the PE. In fact, I actually got my PE for a little over 1k from a spectacular August sale an online BMW dealer was having. Had my dealer price match that and it was smooth sailing and an extra $700 in my wallet . If I had done several Dinan options at once and could have possibly worked out a package deal, I may have gone that route.

Anyways, OP to answer your question, no I am not tuned, so I can't comment on how the exhaust note would change if I was. Also BMW does manufacture a PE for the e90. It is a little more expensive because you are replacing midpipes as well as the axelback (as opposed to just the axelback for e92's).
      09-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Slaughters it in the overpriced stat. as well .

Oh absolutely agreed brother. I know the BMW PPK actually works the OEM exhaust a bit, making it burble and pop without an exhaust upgrade, but of course we know that costs some coin too. Yea, the Black Diamond tips is what sucked me in (pun intended), especially on a BSM car...

Last edited by Dark_Knight_335; 09-15-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
      09-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
CJ421
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
I think you'll like the BMW Performance Exhaust.

Keep in mind you posted in the N55 forum - your '07 has an N54 engine. The same exhausts are available for both but the engines sound quite different.
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is offline   United_States
      09-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
Pave Dew
Lieutenant

Drives: F20 M135i auto EB2

Send a message via Skype™ to Pave Dew
Quote:
Wow thanks so much for your reply. That sounds like a great investment for your car. Are you tuned? Also do you have any idea if that exhaust will fit the E90? Thanks
OP,

PE exhaust for e90 sedan is available but it's more pipework and hence more $$$ from the dealer.

On the coupe, PE is just the back boxes. On the sedan it's back boxes + mid pipe to replace STD fit muffler.

Buy it, you won't be disappointed !
Pave Dew is offline   United Kingdom