E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BMW iPhone 5 Snap-In Adapter is Coming... Next June



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 16,487
iTrader: (0)

Lightbulb BMW iPhone 5 Snap-In Adapter is Coming... Next June

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW iPhone 5 Snap-In Adapter is Coming... Next June
7
COMMENTS
Name:  bmwiphone5a.jpg
Views: 2163
Size:  204.3 KB

Apple recently released its iPhone 5 and with it came a change to its connector from the previous 30-pin to the new 8-pin 'Lightning' connector.

This change unfortunately means that the new iPhone will no longer work with BMW's current iPhone snap-in-adapters. So when can we expect the the new adapters for the iPhone 5 from BMW?

We've learned that BMW has already started work on the snap-in-adapters for the newest iPhone. The changes however, are said to be quite complex (due to the new connector) and development will therefore require some months to complete. The estimated delivery time frame is approximately 7 months and it's anticipated to be ready in June 2013.

OTHER STORIES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Jason is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
AlpWhite11
Captain
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Irvine

Posts: 695
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to AlpWhite11
Good news but longer than I would have expected.
AlpWhite11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,996
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Well, the iPhone iPod Out will require that the video D/A converter circuitry be integrated into the actual snap in so it is understandable that it will take some time to develop and be released.

I would expect a significant price increase as well.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
jwzimm
Captain
 
jwzimm's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335i X-drive Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 940
iTrader: (9)

Personally, I am hoping that someone comes out with a Lightning-to-30-pin cable that will include a DAC for video in it. I could then plug this in to my current Media snap-in adapter and run the cable out to my phone. I like this more than the snap-in anyways. My 4S would get VERY hot in the snap in adapter (even with the little fan) and it was rather annoying to launch Pandora or BMW Apps with the phone docked in.

Here's hoping some company can cobble this cable together sometime soon.
jwzimm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,996
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Personally, I am hoping that someone comes out with a Lightning-to-30-pin cable that will include a DAC for video in it. I could then plug this in to my current Media snap-in adapter and run the cable out to my phone. I like this more than the snap-in anyways. My 4S would get VERY hot in the snap in adapter (even with the little fan) and it was rather annoying to launch Pandora or BMW Apps with the phone docked in.

Here's hoping some company can cobble this cable together sometime soon.
There is a reason of your iPhone 4S getting that hot while playing video/streaming: power usage. That's the same reason video output was removed from the iPhone 5.

Something tells me that the power requirement for an external video DAC will exceed the USB power output of the Combox. That may be the reason that Apple did not include video output in the Lightning->30 pin adapter: it needs an external power supply.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
jwzimm
Captain
 
jwzimm's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335i X-drive Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 940
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
There is a reason of your iPhone 4S getting that hot while playing video/streaming: power usage. That's the same reason video output was removed from the iPhone 5.

Something tells me that the power requirement for an external video DAC will exceed the USB power output of the Combox. That may be the reason that Apple did not include video output in the Lightning->30 pin adapter: it needs an external power supply.
It may be that the power requirements for a video DAC were too high for USB power. I am still going to hope though.

I will say it got hot even when I wasn't running video. I use Pandora a lot and you have to leave the app open and the screen on in order for BMW Apps to work. This resulted in a lot of heat. It is really annoying actually. I would love to lock the screen while listening to Pandora but for some reason Apple makes the app disconnect from the car when you do that.

The best solution here would be for Apple to allow for external devices to open apps. Then you could just dock the phone and select the function in idrive and the app would load. Since this will likely never happen I prefer to have my phone out of the dock to make it easier to bring up the apps I need.
jwzimm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,996
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post

The best solution here would be for Apple to allow for external devices to open apps. Then you could just dock the phone and select the function in idrive and the app would load. Since this will likely never happen I prefer to have my phone out of the dock to make it easier to bring up the apps I need.
Pioneer (AppRadio) can do that right now, which makes it a BMW Apps limitation than an Apple evil plot.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
jwzimm
Captain
 
jwzimm's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335i X-drive Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 940
iTrader: (9)

In either case, my point stands. With the current design it is easier to have a cable than a dock (at least in my opinion).
jwzimm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST