E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Craig's 335i Touring (e91)

02-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Touring

Craig's 335i Touring (e91)

Hey everyone.

I've been reading basically everything n54/335i related and am amazed by the level of knowledge on this forum, Aus section included.

Short story long.. I've been searching for a VE SSV Sportwagon as I wanted a v8 and manual gearbox. I test drove a couple of Walkinshaw enhanced examples which were fun, but didn't really excite me. I umm'd and ahh'd and lost both. In a chance carsales viewing, I looked at BMW wagons and realised they made one in 335i guise.

I spotted a 2008 335i with a few M sport goodies and decided to give the seller a call. Over the course of a few calls we came to an agreement and I began arranging transportation home. This car is in Melbourne and I'm in Perth.

The seller has been really good to deal with and was happy to drop the car at the transport company, but at the last minute I have managed to convince the wife that we all needed a break. So the two of us along with our son (just under 2) are hitting the road.

We fly in to Melbourne in a couple of days, where the seller will meet us at the airport. From there we will take the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide over the next 4 days, where the car goes on a train and we all fly home.

The car needs a few items (valve cover gasket, oil housing gasket) and have been reading the DIYs. So I'll have plenty of questions when I get home with the car. I plan to drive the car and get it fully sorted before I start any mods.

For the Vic/SA locals, is there anything we should do, not do, see or stay on the route? Also what is the GOR like in terms of police presence? We stay in Port Campbell the first night away and will wing it after that. Any suggestions would be great.

So I'll update the thread when I get the car home, but wanted to introduce myself in advance.

Thanks for making it this far... The above is the condensed version...

Craig
Soon to have 335i Tourng

Last edited by 1275; 12-30-2016 at 11:16 AM. Reason: pedant
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #2
Socket
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

Welcome to the forum mate... GOR is a fantastic drive, you wont be able to get up much speed though due to all the tourist buses and caravans lol
Worthwhile drive all the same, just allow yourself a good 4 -5 hrs to complete it if you are factoring travel time. Not sure about speed traps etc

There are some nice open roads between the Vic boarder and Adelaide
Im sure you will get the chance to open it up on the way

Once you start modding there is plenty of help available here in the forum
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: State Transit Bus

Welcome! Another rare as E91 to the forums!

I don't have much to say about the police presence and don't wanna sound like a nanny, but I would highly recommend sticking to the speed limit because
A) You should be driving safely with your less than 2 year old son (and wife) in the car
B) It'll be the first time you've driven the car, so best to familiarise yourself with it before you push any limits too much
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 04:31 PM   #4
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Agree with the above statements.

First thing you'll want to do is give it some beans and see how it goes, but you won't know what the maintenance schedule was prior to you, and a broken car somewhere between Melbourne and Perth would not be fun!

Congrats on the purchase though! I am certain you will enjoy it far more than the SS, if you can put up with the high maintenance and frustration involved.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 05:56 PM   #5
iliketurtl3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Airbags please
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
Private
Rep

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I definitely won't be exploring the limits with the misses and the kid in the car, but appreciate the tips.

The prior owner has recently replaced the water pump but I think it's due for a regular service, so that will be priority number one.

I'll get some photos up soon to balance out all my talking...

Cheers guys,

Craig
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
ash335
Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

Heya, congrats on the purchase.
I think I may have almost purchased this one! Its black right, from Doncaster?
Enjoy the drive...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
Congrats on your E91 purchase and the best model.

What I've noticed is the M-sport suspension does get a bit floaty with miles on it due to tired dampers so watch out for that on undulations otherwise it sits quite well but I'm sure you would have read about swapping suspension parts for M3 goodies as well as the run flats if your car still has them. If not remember to get a repair kit and gu as there is no spare in the boot.

Good to hear your water pump has been replaced as that is probably the main item that could go and leave you stranded. The gaskets can wait but make a fine mess on the front belts and under the car so good idea to get the OFHG done ASAP.

If you do the OFHG and lose some cooling fluid I would definitely advise refilling and going through the priming procedure for the cooling systems, otherwise you may crack your new water pump if you get air trapped in there.

As you've probably read the fuel pumps can fail prematurely but you will get some warning on that one.

Let me know if you need some nice white LEDs as there are some spares from the group buy.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 05:35 PM   #9
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

What are the touring worth now ??
Check out Facebook: TLCC @ Lane Cove
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 02:12 AM   #10
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Depends on kms but PRELCI are around the $29 to $32k mark.

LCI low miles ~ 50k kms are still around the $45k mark.

Others anywhere in between.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
Grohouse
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325i

Congrats on your purchase! Take it easy initially, keep an ear out for any noises during your travels. These cars love the open road

Coming into Adelaide through the freeway hills keep an eye out for police they love sitting behind the bushes (I was slapped with a pretty fine a few weeks ago) There are also 2 fixed speed cameras on the final section of freeway after the tunnel pass.

Enjoy the trip
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 05:01 AM   #12
bradsm87
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohouse View Post
Congrats on your purchase! Take it easy initially, keep an ear out for any noises during your travels. These cars love the open road

Coming into Adelaide through the freeway hills keep an eye out for police they love sitting behind the bushes (I was slapped with a pretty fine a few weeks ago) There are also 2 fixed speed cameras on the final section of freeway after the tunnel pass.

Enjoy the trip
You might wanna check the date on the first post
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #13
Socket
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

lol
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #14
Grohouse
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325i

Far out what a forum newb... hahaha.

*Must read dates of posts. Lesson learnt
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #15
Private
Rep

delayed telecast...

Hey all,

Thanks again for the warm welcome by all and apologies for taking far too long to get back on here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash335 View Post
Heya, congrats on the purchase.
I think I may have almost purchased this one! Its black right, from Doncaster?
Enjoy the drive...
Thanks Ash, yeah this was the one from Doncaster. I must admit you have piqued my interest when you say you almost purchased the car.. Any reason you didn't?

I'm loving the car I must say. Even the wife loves it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donR View Post
Congrats on your E91 purchase and the best model.

What I've noticed is the M-sport suspension does get a bit floaty with miles on it due to tired dampers so watch out for that on undulations otherwise it sits quite well but I'm sure you would have read about swapping suspension parts for M3 goodies as well as the run flats if your car still has them. If not remember to get a repair kit and gu as there is no spare in the boot.

Good to hear your water pump has been replaced as that is probably the main item that could go and leave you stranded. The gaskets can wait but make a fine mess on the front belts and under the car so good idea to get the OFHG done ASAP.

If you do the OFHG and lose some cooling fluid I would definitely advise refilling and going through the priming procedure for the cooling systems, otherwise you may crack your new water pump if you get air trapped in there.

As you've probably read the fuel pumps can fail prematurely but you will get some warning on that one.

Let me know if you need some nice white LEDs as there are some spares from the group buy.
Don thanks for the information mate. Prior owner did Water Pump - but the new one shat itself about 1 month ago. Fortunately it was fixed under warranty by West Coast BMW. Great guys there. They said one of the nuts (no idea what it was holding together..) was loose and then this created a short, killing the pump quick smart. I opted to replace the thermostat while they were in there for peace of mind..

The car came with Pirelli P-Zero's which seem to be quite a good tyre. I'd had an alignment done but the rear RHS tyre is wearing in the middle only... Definitely wasn't over-inflated (was actually quite low, around 30psi) so I've upped to 38 from memory and keeping an eye on the wear. Anyone else had experience with tyre wearing in the middle only? I know the most common is due to over-inflation.. confused..

As I was up for a long drive with the family, I fortunately found a guy local to the hotel I was staying at (worst hotel in Melbourne mind you..) who was selling a front wheel/tyre (same 193M) so I purchased that. Had to bring the wheel back on the plane as the transport company wouldn't allow it in the car, as it didn't have a proper 'home'. Walking an 18" BMW wheel/tyre through Adelaide airport was certainly a conversation starter...

My first order of business, after registration, was a service, check up, OFHG and valve cover gasket with BMW. Surprisingly they quoted very similar to a local independent, and about 50% cheaper than the quote I got from Doncaster BMW... No doubt also helped with them fixing the Water Pump under warranty a couple of months later...

Since then I've replaced spark plugs, rear brake rotors/pads, headlight bulb and diff oil - slowly learning about the car while I go.. and a great excuse to buy more tools!

Also appreciate the offer to LED's, but the prior owner already replaced most (and gave me the spares for what wasn't changed) so I'm virtually all LED now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donR View Post
Depends on kms but PRELCI are around the $29 to $32k mark.

LCI low miles ~ 50k kms are still around the $45k mark.

Others anywhere in between.
Yup pre-lci for me and you're pretty much on the money. Of course I didn't include travel to/from Melbourne, transport car to Perth, initial service and other bits in my final 'cost' calculation for the wife...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohouse View Post

Enjoy the trip
Grohouse - thanks mate! It was an amazing trip. I'll write up a more in-depth report with some pictures (no doubt on a similar time-frame to this follow-up post...)

We managed to make it the whole way without incident. Of course when you take tools, jack, tyre iron and buy a spare wheel, you won't need any of it.. Luckily Qantas allows lots of extra luggage (did I mention we missed our flight over to Melbourne in the first place... definitely didn't include that in the final figures...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
You might wanna check the date on the first post
To be honest, if this wasn't bumped I probably wouldn't be here typing this right now.. Fortunately the wife is sick so went to bed early (I can say fortunately for that, right?) and the young boy is fast asleep so I figured some forum time was well-overdue.

Anyhoo, no doubt you've caught on to my inability to be get straight to the point, so bare with me...

I've read and learned so much from these forums and have slowly been planning a few extra steps to the build.. I can see why you're all addicted - you keep feeding each others addiction. So you can add me to the list...

I'm planning on heading to the Euro Drag Night on 28th September as I've never been before and am interested in seeing what it's all about. No doubt that will accelerate the desire for mods...

Hope you enjoyed the novel. I'll sort through some pics any get them up shortly.

Cheers guys,

Craig

Last edited by 1275; 08-24-2016 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Facts
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #16
Private
Rep

Photos

If a picture is worth 1000 words, I probably owe you guys about 50 pictures...
Here's a start.

1. We stopped in Torquay on the way so I took a few photos (you'll quickly learn I take terrible photos). New car + road trip, so I was pretty excited!
Name:  20160304_120854.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  118.5 KB
2. Spare wheel setup - of course when you have these things you never need them.. Still for $250 with Bridgetone non-rft tyre with heaps of tread left, I was pretty stoked. Barely a scratch on it too.
Name:  20160304_194251.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  95.0 KB
3. Random photo I took in the hills out of Perth.
Name:  20160329_172347.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  49.0 KB
4. Loaner M235i from BMW when I was getting the service/OFHG etc done. Nice car for sure, but being that my own car was so new to me, I was convinced the e91 was a better car.
Name:  20160405_132126.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  127.7 KB
5. I've always been a wagon guy, but with an active dog who comes with me most places, it was a requirement for this car. Having come from a NM Pajero with loads of space in the back, I'm pretty sure the dog figured I'd lost my job or something, as this was a serious downgrade for her...
Name:  20160625_120939.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  128.5 KB

More to come...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #17
Private
Rep

More photos

First photo is the day it arrived at home. Filthy and still on Vic rego, so a quick trip to the car wash. I was working from home that day, so that was definitely the end of my workday...
Name:  filthy.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  144.3 KB
Last 3 is me playing around with the camera and trying to be all arty. I have zero artistic ability - clearly.

Name:  P1010140.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  187.9 KB

mmmwagon

Name:  P1010143.JPG
Views: 320
Size:  142.5 KB

tow-hitch is removable, so I removed it almost immediately after looking back over the photos..

Name:  P1010158.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  154.0 KB

Since these were taken I've painted the chrome grill gloss black, which really improves the look. I also had a mate of mine apply 20% tint to the middle and rear windows, and 35% (I think) to the front. Makes a huge difference to the heat - a must for Perth weather. (Last 3 photos are post-tinting).

I've also been running MHD Stg1 for a couple of months now. Definitely a great beginner mod. Think FMIC is in order then Stage 1+.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #18
satz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i sedan

It's begging for a 12 or 15mm spacer on the back wheels!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #19
aaron_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i LCI

Your dog is beautiful!!!! Looks strong and well looked after. Cars pretty good too!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #20
ash335
Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1275 View Post
Thanks Ash, yeah this was the one from Doncaster. I must admit you have piqued my interest when you say you almost purchased the car.. Any reason you didn't?
Haha. Yeh, I was pretty keen, almost put a deposit down when I saw it, but couldn't get the wife to agree on the colour... and the owner kinda stuffed me around with the pre-purchase inspection I was trying to organise... had to cancel 2 inspections last minute due to him changing plans late

Car drove really well when I test drove it though.

Car looks great! Enjoy!
2008 e92 335i Platinum Bronze - K&N Filter - MHD Stage 1 ECU - Alpina ZB 7603537 TCU - TS Dual Port Kompact BOV - RB PCV - Nolathane RSFB - M3 Control Arms - Dinan Camber Plate - Bilstein B14 Coilovers - ATE SuperBlue - Nitro Aikido - Pending - OFHG/OCG - Trans/Diff Service
2006 e53 X5 3.0i Sterling Grey - Stock
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #21
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
It's begging for a 12 or 15mm spacer on the back wheels!
Definitely agree with you on this. The wagons seem to be pretty fat at the rear. I'm thinking 5mm front and 10 or 12mm at the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ View Post
Your dog is beautiful!!!! Looks strong and well looked after. Cars pretty good too!!!
Cheers Aaron. She is definitely a huge part of our family and I like to think we keep each other healthy. She is (supposedly) a Kelpie cross Staffy so she needs regular runs at the park. Very smart too, so she keeps us on our toes.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm really happy with how the car looks. Black grills have improved the look and next I think a full detail/paint correction will take it to the next level. Next I need to change to some lower dust brake pads I've been reading about. Hoping Repc has a good Father's Day sale on, along with the bulk oil from Supercheap that Cashy let us all know about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash335 View Post
Haha. Yeh, I was pretty keen, almost put a deposit down when I saw it, but couldn't get the wife to agree on the colour... and the owner kinda stuffed me around with the pre-purchase inspection I was trying to organise... had to cancel 2 inspections last minute due to him changing plans late

Car drove really well when I test drove it though.

Car looks great! Enjoy!
Funnily enough, as much as I love black cars, I was pretty set on Not getting a black car as I get a bit fussy with keeping my cars clean. But this was pretty much perfect and the interior is exactly as I would have specced it myself. Plus it's not like there were e91 335i's freely available. The only other one for sale was non M Sport and a dark grey colour with black interior.

Dealing with the prior owner, he definitely had to cancel/postpone a few times due to work commitments, but to be honest he was very helpful to me, some guy on the other side of the country, So I was happy to work with him. All's well that ends well I guess...

I was pretty nervous buying a car sight unseen, but it has worked out great. The PO left his Vic plates on the car for me so I could do GOR and I mailed them back when the car got to Perth, so there was plenty of trust being given on both sides.

Cheers all!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 09:48 PM   #22
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Nice update. Glad to hear your still enjoying the touring.

Great value cars these days and lots of fun.

My only gripe is the space in the tail gate/luggage area is smallish but then the back seats are reasonably roomy. Though we do have a roof pod but seem to cram everything in on road trips with out it.

If you are considering FMIC why not go down pipes first but make sure you remember to code out the cold start so it aint so noisy.
Appreciate 0