E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Best amp for JL Audio 8" microsub?

09-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
SA320
Private First Class

Drives: BMW

Best amp for JL Audio 8" microsub?

Hey guys

Am looking to purchase the 8 inch JL audio microsub for my e93 converts

http://www.jlaudio.co.uk/cp108lg-w3v3-car-audio-microsub-subwoofer-systems-93133

So it says 250w RMS but I really don't know too much about amps and the technicals with all this bridging stuff etc so need some expert advice!

Can anyone advise the best amp to get for it? Thing is though.. Would only like to spend £100 - £150 MAX on it.

I will be using the standard head unit as don't want to change that. Also, I understand a special cable will be needed cos I'm using the standard head unit?

Thanks in advance!
      09-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
Rollo`
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 328i

I have that exact sub--or the US version anyway--in my E90 trunk and I am running it with an Alpine MRP500 and it sounds great. I find it to be just enough to provide good solid thump on most music. It is really amazing what an 8 inch sub can do in an engineered enclosure.

I had an installer do mine and also added a JL Audio xd600 in place of the factory amp so I'm not sure what cable you will need.
      09-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
makkan00
Major General

Drives: E90

Suraj,
If you are thinking of only upgrading this, then single amp should do the job.

However if you are thinking of upgrading fronts / mid / subs, then you will combine how many drivers would require amplification.

Suppose, if you are changing front mids, under seat subs and trunk sub, then you would require 5 channels amplifier.

About Harness, Technic harness is best and will sort out you depending on the configuration of your system.
      09-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
J335D
Enlisted Member

Drives: 335D XD F30 M-Sport

Hi,
You have to answer the question of what you have installed now, i.e is it the base system (no tweeters) or amp, HIFI with amp??

Then that will tell you what you would need for the harness to then potentially a cleansweep to flatten the head unit curve and then an amp, once this is achieved you can then daisy chain additional amps as you grow your system.

Yes a MINDField!

Plent written on here

J
J335D is offline   United Kingdom