E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2008 E90 with HiFi

09-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
jmdevince
Rep

Drives: 2008 328i Sport

2008 E90 with HiFi

I've been reading through a ton of posts including the 'START HERE' guide for upgrading an OEM system. I've got an E90 with HiFi and no iDrive system.

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to audio and the stock bass is muddy, the highs are muted, and overall it makes me want to barf. Don't get me wrong, I've dealt with worse but I feel a nice car should have a nice audio system.

So, here's a few requirements and the conclusions I've come to in order to satisfy the requirements.

Requirements:
  1. Stock looking. No damage to the vehicle. No drilling. No cutting. No splicing.
  2. Replacement of stock tweeters, mid-ranges, woofers, and amp. Head unit will remain OEM for stock look. (Plus from what I've read the HIFI system does not rape the output signal like some of the other variations).
  3. Use of stock speaker wiring. (Running new wires is a complete PITA, yes. I'm a little lazy)
  4. I'd like to do it myself. I know there are people out there who can do an install better than myself but only I will know what was done to the car if I do it myself.
  5. Trunk subwoofer. The under seat woofers are too small IMHO to produce the low frequencies that a sub can.
  6. Sound deadening. Right now the stock bass seems to escape the car pretty well with the windows up and adding trunk subs pretty much demands some Dynamat Extreme (Granted it is heavy but 100% worth it since I'm a sound snob)

Questions & Some Conclusions:
  1. I'm going to need a custom harness in order to do this. Since I'm replacing the OEM amp. It looks like im going to need one of these: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=486152 (Already PMed Technic for one and recommendations)
  2. From what I have read the inputs to the AMP are balanced inputs (YAY for noise reduction) and will need a compatible amp. From what I have read this is the best viable replacement: http://www.jlaudio.com/xd600-6-car-a...plifiers-98262
  3. I'm wanting to add a nice sub with a little bit of thump for when I really want to annoy the ever loving bejesus out of someone. (JK, any good audio needs a solution for the low end and should be facing rear, the side facing enclosures for the trunk don't take advantage of the acoustics). My research points me to this enclosure (I will ask them to reduce the enclosure volume to the JL specs of 1.25 cu. ft and the additional mounting depth of .75in to allow the venting pole to work properly) : http://www.zenclosures.com/ProductDe...=BMWE903SERIES and this sub to fill it:http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-subwoofer-drivers-w6v2 and then I found this amp to drive that sub: http://www.jlaudio.com/xd600-1-car-a...plifiers-98263 . From what I can gather I will need to find a way to sum the inputs for a mono sub installation. Pointers on this would be appreciated.
  4. For woofers under the seats it looks like the earthquake sws-8x or sws8xi are the way to go. I've already emailed jtsherri to get info on the spacers. Again, if anyone has a better idea or advice here since I am using an aftermarket amp and not the OEM amp, I'd love feedback.
  5. Now for the tricky part. The midranges and tweeters. I've heard horror stories and I've heard people sing absolute praises of pretty much every freaking thing out there. Suggestions are welcome here. I'm at a loss as what to put in the doors and rear deck.
  6. Crossovers are also a part I need a bit of help with. I'm sure they will depend on the mid-ranges and tweeters I get and should probably all be purchased together from the same manufacturer but the mounting position is what I'm most interested in here.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Corrections?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 335i

It sounds like you should talk with Ken at MusicarNW. If you want to piece things together yourself, there are plenty of example systems out there. You need to do more reading. For example, using SWS-8 toghether with a trunk sub is not the right approach. Also, the Zenclosures boxes are not good for SQ.
      09-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

^ concur and thanks for reading the sticky!

Sounds like you've got the budget,

Do you want to amp all channels and not just front stage?

What "kind" of tonality do you want for your fronts?

I would recommend Jehnerts for underseats

You are starting with HiFi?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
jmdevince
Rep

Thanks for the info on that kaigoss69. I'm still trying to figure out how to piece this all together. I was piecing it off of some searches here but I'm reading mixed results with zenenclosures and the sws-8 and it call kinda turns my brain into mush after awhile.

I'd like to amp all channels. I'm wanting to not just improve upon the sound but also make it louder with significantly less distortion. I love going down the highway blaring classic rock.

I am starting with HiFi. I've confirmed the speaker layout to be the HiFi system along with the analog amp in the trunk.

I shot an email using the Contact-Us form on musicarnw. I've never done car audio so I'm not super familiar with it. Home Theater systems I am very familar with and I love my current setup. It's time my car got an upgrade.

Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

For amping all channels, i recommend:

Alpine PDX v9 (5ch) + 4.100 (4ch) (ver 2)
Or
JL AUDIO HD 900/5 + 600/4

The alpine amps are a bit cheaper and the pdx 9 is a new release. They also fit a bit easier in the trunk well
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
ctuna
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The no brainer solution is

A level 2 MusicarNW system it comes with all you need its pretuned
and its pretty easy to put in. also the amp is prewired to the technic harness supplied.

If you say you like accuracy in sound this fits the bill with just and amp and speakers. The bass is laser accurate(Jehnerts) and you can make your ears ring with it if you want . If you really need more bass add a subwoofer.

If you have Hi Fi the technic harness is only a connector and breakout wires that attaches to the OEM amp connector . You don't have to add any wiring unless you want a sub and that should be easy as you are only dealing with the trunk area.

OP has a high fi with only 6 channels so no need for two amps unless he wants a surround system then he will have to cut holes
for more speaker which is not what he wants to do I think .

Last edited by ctuna; 09-18-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
jmdevince
Rep

I've been in contact with Ken, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I'll post pictures

Thanks for all your help!
Appreciate 0