E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Got pulled over in MD - LIDAR not specified on ticket - worth fighting?

09-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Got pulled over in MD - LIDAR not specified on ticket - worth fighting?

So I got pulled over today for going 59 in a 40. I really think that is exaggerated because as soon as I saw the cop (who was pulling out of a gas station) I looked down and I was going 50mph.

I was planning on just paying this sucker because I don't want to make a bad situation worse but then I read the ticket. On my prior tickets they specified how they clocked my speed. There is a section that says "RADER/LASER/VASCAR OPERATOR" which is blank. The "AGENCY", "SUBAGENCY", and "ID NO." are supposed to be filled out but they aren't. I asked the cop what he used and he said LIDAR. When I told him I didn't think I was going that fast he responded with "I know you were going that fast, LIDAR is extremely accurate."

Does anyone have a recent speeding ticket in hand by any chance? And if so, can you verify that this section is supposed to have any information? Do you all think this is worth fighting? Thanks.

Last edited by bimmertt; 09-07-2012 at 08:06 PM.
      09-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
egregor
Private

Drives: 2007 335i sedan

I'm not sure if specifying the method on the ticket makes a difference or not.. but I wouldn't think so because in court the cop and just testify that he was in fact using LIDAR regardless of what's written.

But assuming you have a couple hours to burn in court, I would go regardless. The burden is on them to prove that you were speeding and there's nothing wrong with asking them to do so. In the process, you get off 100% if the cop doesn't show (happened to me, and many people I know), and if he/she does, just plead guilty. They can't increase the penalty, only decrease it, and chances are they'll remove the points, sometimes in exchange for taking a class. In other words, you have nothing to lose.

Good luck.
      09-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
spicytofu
Fungineer

Drives: '11 E92

Doesnt the operation of a LIDAR require a lot of checks before being able to start using it? You can question if the cop did all those to ensure an accurate reading.
      09-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Spydeputy
Brigadier General

Drives: 2012,E92,335is/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
2012 335is  [1.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Spydeputy
If you challenge too much you piss off the judge. and radar is accurate at 1% at 100. so don't go there. just advise you were not aware of your speed but are now keeping up w/ it all the time as you drive.

they run a self test as they power up the system. then it runs the same throughout the day. some run it after each stop too, but not required.
GL
Spydeputy is offline   Germany
      09-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Pete Schweaty
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i E90

You will also be responsible for court costs. Dont know how much the ticket is, but court costs are $38.
      09-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
D_Smiderreen
Banned

Drives: Please delete my account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
So I got pulled over today for going 59 in a 40. I really think that is exaggerated because as soon as I saw the cop (who was pulling out of a gas station) I looked down and I was going 50mph.

I was planning on just paying this sucker because I don't want to make a bad situation worse but then I read the ticket. On my prior tickets they specified how they clocked my speed. There is a section that says "RADER/LASER/VASCAR OPERATOR" which is blank. The "AGENCY", "SUBAGENCY", and "ID NO." are supposed to be filled out but they aren't. I asked the cop what he used and he said LIDAR. When I told him I didn't think I was going that fast he responded with "I know you were going that fast, LIDAR is extremely accurate."

Does anyone have a recent speeding ticket in hand by any chance? And if so, can you verify that this section is supposed to have any information? Do you all think this is worth fighting? Thanks.

OP. You have the right to ask the officer to show you the measured speed.

He will one of two things:

1) He will happily oblige and show you the measured speed and issue you a ticket.

OR

2) He will take your credentials (run your license and tags) and give you a warning, without showing you the measured speed because he's caught in a lie.
D_Smiderreen is offline   United_States
      09-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Spydeputy
Brigadier General

Drives: 2012,E92,335is/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
2012 335is  [1.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Spydeputy
most police radar operators don't capture the speed, just make a visual w/ their eyes, and are not required to save it for that very reason.

just b/c your info is run thru MILES doesn't mean you get a warning. the 2 are not related in any way.

go to court and plead guilty w/ an explanation, and pray you have no current points

again, GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Smiderreen View Post
OP. You have the right to ask the officer to show you the measured speed.

He will one of two things:

1) He will happily oblige and show you the measured speed and issue you a ticket.

OR

2) He will take your credentials (run your license and tags) and give you a warning, without showing you the measured speed because he's caught in a lie.
2012, E92, 335is, Space Metal Gray, DINAN Stage 2, Helix FMIC, M Sport Pkg, Dbl Spoke 313 Wheels, Gray & Blk Leather, Conv. Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Prem Pkg, 7 Sp DCT, Navigation, Satellite / Harman Kardon Radio.
BMW CCA Member
Spydeputy is offline   Germany
      09-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
FormerRotor
Major

Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
most police radar operators don't capture the speed, just make a visual w/ their eyes, and are not required to save it for that very reason.

just b/c your info is run thru MILES doesn't mean you get a warning. the 2 are not related in any way.

go to court and plead guilty w/ an explanation, and pray you have no current points

again, GL
Or plea not guilty if the officer isn't present. Where in MD were you? moCo? Was th officer county, trooper, or sheriff?

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
      09-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
WilliamS
GoofBall

Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

First dont call out a cop, most of the time it will not work for you. Most of my family is in LEO and knowing what they have to put up with they can make life harder for you. Best advice is go to court, plea no contest, get the points removed pay the fine.

There are many who will say fight it and plea not guilty and make them prove it, this is not a bag of worms you want to open up. As they start proving the speed the more you will pay. Pay the fine, plea out and ask for no points.
WilliamS is offline   United_States