E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > C.L Down pipes with custom exhaust Question

12-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Bobbybmw22
JB4, BMS intake
United_States
Rep

Drives: White BMW 335xi Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
C.L Down pipes with custom exhaust Question

I'm in the process of getting catless down pipes and currently have a muffler delete on my 08 n54 e92 xi. I have a Midas shop so i am able to cut and weld but want to see what anybody in the community has done to create a custom exhaust for this car. I've read that people have put vibrant resonators and made branch resonators. I really don't want to quiet it down from what the muffler delete sounds like but i cant stand the drone on the highway its starting to get to me. Can anybody give me some feedback and point me in the right direction??
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
tke344
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e90 LCI

I'd do something similar to the VRSF or Cobb - merge the two downpipes into a single 3" pipe, but throw a big resonator somewhere in the mid section and put a straight through single inlet dual out sideways mounted "muffler". Or just split it back off at the rear and skip the muffler all together.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
Bobbybmw22
JB4, BMS intake
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
What kind of resonator should i go with or muffler?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
Fred_Boosted
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335i

Vibrant resonator. Many people run this setup, decent quality and works good.
      12-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Bobbybmw22
JB4, BMS intake
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Boosted View Post
Vibrant resonator. Many people run this setup, decent quality and works good.

You think i should go with 2 right at the back or just run a single in the middle
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
Fred_Boosted
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbybmw22 View Post
You think i should go with 2 right at the back or just run a single in the middle
It depends on your budget...

Say if you have a single exhaust come from down pipes, then one is Ok.
      12-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
Bobbybmw22
JB4, BMS intake
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Boosted View Post
It depends on your budget...

Say if you have a single exhaust come from down pipes, then one is Ok.
Im going to try the one first and see how i like the tone and take it from there im still on the hunt for the right D.P im lenaing towards VRSF cause of the price .i will keep you guys posted
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
Peebody85
Rep

Drives: 07 335i E92

I'll give you my opinion on the prefabbed mufflers for this platform..... way overpriced. I know they are tuned and dyno proven, blah blah, blah, but the price is crazy compared to a couple mufflers and nice tips.

I personally am running 2 MagnaFlow offset mufflers I found for cheap on ebay fo $78 shipped each I think, and 2 satin black powder coated 4" double walled slant cut tips for $80 shipped and they are the perfect size IMHO with a msport bumper on my 07 e92 335i. I got a shop to cut out the old mufflers behind the rear diff and install the new setup for $120.

They are loud on cold start but not crazy loud. Deeper rumble than stock and sound fantactic. Once it settles down, they are just a hair louder than stock.

I just ordered n54tuning's downpipes on the Black Friday special and they should be here tomorrow.

I'm 99% sure that it will be absolutely perfect once I have the dps installed. More rumble, not obnoxiously loud, and really rip at WOT.

All said and done, I'll have about $650 in the whole exhaust and that is less than 1/3 what some have in it all, and it will probably sound better than most too.

Should have time to put the dps on sometime in the next couple weeks so I will let you know what the final product sounds like.

Hope this helps put you in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Bobbybmw22
JB4, BMS intake
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Thank you. It really does put me in the right direction and would like to hear what it sounds like i was also thinking of putting 2 magnaflow muffler myself. curious to hear what yours sounds like
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
Peebody85
Rep

I just could not justify dropping 800-1200 bucks on a prefabbed exhaust and went out out on a limb. Really glad I did.

Guys at the exhaust shop tried getting me to buy some they had and as I was BSing with them the held up one they had and mine. Went back and forth a few times hearing the difference. Can't remember exactly what iit was but it was a small, glass pack looking one. It was a little louder than the MagnaFlow but had a higher pitch to it and sounded more ricey than I was going for. One guy there let me hear them on his 350z that had them on and I was not impressed.

Too many people over complicate our exhausts. I get the downpipes, cat removal, etc, but a muffler is a muffler as long as it flows and has a good sound. I've had mine installed for about 3 months and it has gotten maybe a little louder once the internal packing settled down.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
Bobbybmw22
JB4, BMS intake
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebody85 View Post
I just could not justify dropping 800-1200 bucks on a prefabbed exhaust and went out out on a limb. Really glad I did.

Guys at the exhaust shop tried getting me to buy some they had and as I was BSing with them the held up one they had and mine. Went back and forth a few times hearing the difference. Can't remember exactly what iit was but it was a small, glass pack looking one. It was a little louder than the MagnaFlow but had a higher pitch to it and sounded more ricey than I was going for. One guy there let me hear them on his 350z that had them on and I was not impressed.

Too many people over complicate our exhausts. I get the downpipes, cat removal, etc, but a muffler is a muffler as long as it flows and has a good sound. I've had mine installed for about 3 months and it has gotten maybe a little louder once the internal packing settled down.
Trust me i know exactly where your coming from
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #12
DeutschKarDriver
Habitual Speeder
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebody85 View Post
I'll give you my opinion on the prefabbed mufflers for this platform..... way overpriced. I know they are tuned and dyno proven, blah blah, blah, but the price is crazy compared to a couple mufflers and nice tips.

I personally am running 2 MagnaFlow offset mufflers I found for cheap on ebay fo $78 shipped each I think, and 2 satin black powder coated 4" double walled slant cut tips for $80 shipped and they are the perfect size IMHO with a msport bumper on my 07 e92 335i. I got a shop to cut out the old mufflers behind the rear diff and install the new setup for $120.

They are loud on cold start but not crazy loud. Deeper rumble than stock and sound fantactic. Once it settles down, they are just a hair louder than stock.

I just ordered n54tuning's downpipes on the Black Friday special and they should be here tomorrow.

I'm 99% sure that it will be absolutely perfect once I have the dps installed. More rumble, not obnoxiously loud, and really rip at WOT.

All said and done, I'll have about $650 in the whole exhaust and that is less than 1/3 what some have in it all, and it will probably sound better than most too.

Should have time to put the dps on sometime in the next couple weeks so I will let you know what the final product sounds like.

Hope this helps put you in the right direction.
What size inlet/outlet did you use? Been thinking about taking this same route.
      12-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #13
pobudz
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

AR20s (aero) work great. I deleted the secondary cats and muffler, and put them where the secondary cats were. Hardly any rasp and nothing but compliments. Drone is meh... but considering my mods its not really something I'm concerned about.
IG @pobudz | '08 e92 335i - Motiv 750 w/ PI & AEM! Cobb tuned, bms dci, rb pcv, tial bov, ets cp, ets 5" fmic, straight piped w/ AR20s, m3 suspension bits (F&R sway, F&R control arms), rogue toe arms, Motiv motor mounts, UUC trans mounts and SSK w/DSSR. H&R sports and Konis, square 18x9.5 Apex ARC-8s. Mfactory 6MT 3.46 LSD, M3 subframe and diff bushings. MOTIV Twin disk. Fuel-IT Stage 3+.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
prowheelie92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: bmw 335i

i have a custom muffler for sale made by autocouture motoring. its basically straight pipe with resonators to prevent some drone. i bought it off some guy who payed 600 for it. initially he had all muffler delete xpipe and catless so they made him this setup with resonators on the mufflers because it was too loud. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1059467
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #15
Peebody85
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutschKarDriver View Post
What size inlet/outlet did you use? Been thinking about taking this same route.
Same as stock size piping. 2.5 I think. I went with the center/offset ones. Worked perfectly. The shop did use a small piece of exhaust tubing for the space between the stock piping and the muffler. They used my factory "rubber band" hangers. I was nit picking the placement of the tips, but they were finally perfect and the 4" is really the way to go IMHO. Fills up the holes perfectly and the tip of the slant stick out maybe an inch from the bumper. I've heard many people say they are too big on here, but they fit like a glove.

I'm a mortgage banker and have been called the "car guy" of the office for some time now. Alot of people there know nothing about cars and they say my car sounds amazing, but that's mostly when they hear the cold start as we are leaving or we all go out to lunch and a do a WOT run real quick.

I spent a lot of time listening to YouTube clips of different mufflers and if I did'nt know better, I would guess I had a expensive exhaust installed. No drone, no rasp, etc. Turned out perfectly.

I really need to figure out how to upload pictures here....
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
Peebody85
Rep

I also attempted installing my downpipes today and sure enough, I got my butt kicked by my car again. V band clamp on the turbo was stripping as I was loosening it. I tightened it back up and waiting to get clamps before I cut the old one off. Already ordered new ones and new turbo exhaust gaskets. Probably be a week or two before I attempt it again.
Appreciate 0