E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > What is this boiling on my head?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-25-2015, 09:58 PM   #1
vbp6us
Major Private First Class
vbp6us's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
903
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (2)

What is this boiling on my head?

After I installed my G5 ISO I decide to go test it out. Car runs great, no codes. I pull into the garage and I hear a loud boiling sound as I open the hood. I have the cover for the valve cover off and I look down and this is what I see:




I just changed my oil two days ago...could it be that I dropped some oil down there and this is it boiling? Maybe. But it looks more like clear water, except I haven't poured water in anywhere near that area in over two weeks. It's something fresh. My oil change was the last fresh item. Could it be that it slipped in through my two month old valve cover + gasket? I hope not.

Any ideas while I go soak that liquid up on a rag to examine it would be appreciated.

Thanks
__________________
2008 E92 335i 6MT: FBO + MMP Silicone Inlets | Stage 1 LPFP | 335is clutch + MFactory SMFW | Custom BuraQ E75+ MHD tune | 3.5Bar N20 sensor

Last edited by vbp6us; 10-25-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
N54Bob1988
Private
5
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: WI

iTrader: (0)

It looks like water.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
TrollToll
Banned
TrollToll's Avatar
444
Rep
1,153
Posts

Drives: 535i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbp6us View Post
After I installed my G5 ISO I decide to go test it out. Car runs great, no codes. I pull into the garage and I hear a loud boiling sound as I open the hood. I have the cover for the valve cover off and I look down and this is what I see:




I just changed my oil two days ago...could it be that I dropped some oil down there and this is it boiling? Maybe. But it looks more like clear water, except I haven't poured water in anywhere near that area in over two weeks. It's something fresh. My oil change was the last fresh item. Could it be that it slipped in through my two month old valve cover + gasket? I hope not.

Any ideas while I go soak that liquid up on a rag to examine it would be appreciated.

Thanks
It's not oil. The boiling point of motor oil is around 600 degrees Fahrenheit. Does is smell like gas? I'd suspect a leaking fuel connection given the location.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:08 AM   #4
vbp6us
Major Private First Class
vbp6us's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
903
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Bob1988 View Post
It looks like water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere90 View Post
It's not oil. The boiling point of motor oil is around 600 degrees Fahrenheit. Does is smell like gas? I'd suspect a leaking fuel connection given the location.
After smelling it, I don't believe it's fuel either. I mean, it didn't smell like it but it did cook on the head for a while. I've cleaned up the mess and plan on monitoring it going forward.

I also checked the fuel connections since those were taken apart when we did the valve cover + gasket. They all seemed tight.
__________________
2008 E92 335i 6MT: FBO + MMP Silicone Inlets | Stage 1 LPFP | 335is clutch + MFactory SMFW | Custom BuraQ E75+ MHD tune | 3.5Bar N20 sensor
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
simple00
New Member
1
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: e93 335i auto
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: U.K.

iTrader: (0)

I may be wrong but is that not a core plug where the fluid is? Could it be leaking coolant slightly?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
BeastMode335i's Avatar
United_States
537
Rep
3,991
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Fote Myas, FL

iTrader: (1)

Now I've seen it all.. Please post back when you find the culprit for this..!
__________________
Jet Black E92 335i 6AT - VTT GC Install Date 4-1-17, Alpina B3 Flash - BMS DCI - ARM 3" Catless DP - VRSF CP - VRSF 7" FMIC - HKS BOV - MHD Stg. 2+/93 Tune - Kuda Dash Mount w/ LG G-Pad X 8.0 - BTC455 BT Streaming - M3 Rep Front - Shadowline Trim/Grills - LCI Tails - Golf Tee Mod - Codes for days
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #7
vbp6us
Major Private First Class
vbp6us's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
903
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (2)

Please, someone must know what is going on here. Why are those little round pockets getting filled with what looks to be water? Is it because I'm running 30/70 coolant/distilled water + water wetter?

New video:
__________________
2008 E92 335i 6MT: FBO + MMP Silicone Inlets | Stage 1 LPFP | 335is clutch + MFactory SMFW | Custom BuraQ E75+ MHD tune | 3.5Bar N20 sensor

Last edited by vbp6us; 10-26-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #8
MDORPHN
Colonel
141
Rep
2,892
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

iTrader: (0)

Never seen anything like it.

You mentioned that you disconnected some of the fuel fittings when you replaced the valve cover gasket.

Were they depressurized when you did the job. If not, could some fuel have spilled?

Neil

P.S. The coolant mix would have nothing to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #9
deeLow
DOPE
deeLow's Avatar
80
Rep
729
Posts

Drives: 10' 335i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: 732

iTrader: (2)

Wtf....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #10
TrollToll
Banned
TrollToll's Avatar
444
Rep
1,153
Posts

Drives: 535i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple00 View Post
I may be wrong but is that not a core plug where the fluid is? Could it be leaking coolant slightly?
This makes sense. Did no one else read this?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:02 PM   #11
vbp6us
Major Private First Class
vbp6us's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
903
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Never seen anything like it.

You mentioned that you disconnected some of the fuel fittings when you replaced the valve cover gasket.

Were they depressurized when you did the job. If not, could some fuel have spilled?

Neil

P.S. The coolant mix would have nothing to do with it.
What do you mean by depressurized? Are you talking about the fuel lines? That's what I'm talking about btw. I don't think it needs to be depressurized. I just disconnected the battery so it wouldn't squirt if someone opened a door.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere90 View Post
This makes sense. Did no one else read this?
I read it but why would it be doing this? My coolant level isn't even low.


My theory: This is caused by the water wetter making the water too "wet". Anyone else think so as well? It's clearly water and when I touched it, it was slimey. Fuel would reek. Oil would be brown and smell too. This has no real odor. Feels like distilled water with water wetter.
__________________
2008 E92 335i 6MT: FBO + MMP Silicone Inlets | Stage 1 LPFP | 335is clutch + MFactory SMFW | Custom BuraQ E75+ MHD tune | 3.5Bar N20 sensor

Last edited by vbp6us; 10-26-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:07 PM   #12
ferocity02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
231
Rep
1,769
Posts

Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (8)

It's got to be coolant.

Clearly it's not oil, the engine doesnt get that hot and it doesn't look like oil.

It's not fuel because it would smell like fuel.

The only other fluid is coolant. How is your coolant level doing? Judging by the volume you should notice a drop in level. Any drips on the ground? As someone pointed out there might be a freeze plug up there for a coolant passage that is leaking.

You can let it idle up to temperature and watch the area and try to determine where its coming from.

Any chance you have Max Cool mode on? Not that that would cause this but I'm curious why it started right after you installed the JB4.
__________________
2007 E90 335i Pre-LCI
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #13
MDORPHN
Colonel
141
Rep
2,892
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbp6us View Post
What do you mean by depressurized? Are you talking about the fuel lines? That's what I'm talking about btw. I don't think it needs to be depressurized. I just disconnected the battery so it wouldn't squirt if someone opened a door.
You wrote "I also checked the fuel connections since those were taken apart when we did the valve cover + gasket. They all seemed tight."

So I'm asking whether any fuel might have leaked out when you did the job.

If you disconnected the battery and left it alone overnight before you did the job, it likely was depressurized but I'm just asking.

Neil

P.S. Water Wetter doesn't make the water any more or less likely to leak. It simply minimizes hot spots.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #14
vbp6us
Major Private First Class
vbp6us's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
903
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
It's got to be coolant.

Clearly it's not oil, the engine doesnt get that hot and it doesn't look like oil.

It's not fuel because it would smell like fuel.

The only other fluid is coolant. How is your coolant level doing? Judging by the volume you should notice a drop in level. Any drips on the ground? As someone pointed out there might be a freeze plug up there for a coolant passage that is leaking.

You can let it idle up to temperature and watch the area and try to determine where its coming from.

Any chance you have Max Cool mode on? Not that that would cause this but I'm curious why it started right after you installed the JB4.
Hah, I just came to the same conclusion and added it to my last post. It's gotta be coolant as you said. Coolant level is actually fine. Not lower than it was since I last filled it, which happened to be recently when I did a flush.

No drips but I only noticed it when I got home from work. I thought it went away yesterday. I like your idea about idling and monitoring. Should have thought of that. I do not have max cool on. I think with the JB4 running right, my car is just being exerted more than ever so things like the cooling system are being pushed to their peak.
__________________
2008 E92 335i 6MT: FBO + MMP Silicone Inlets | Stage 1 LPFP | 335is clutch + MFactory SMFW | Custom BuraQ E75+ MHD tune | 3.5Bar N20 sensor
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #15
vbp6us
Major Private First Class
vbp6us's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
903
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
You wrote "I also checked the fuel connections since those were taken apart when we did the valve cover + gasket. They all seemed tight."

So I'm asking whether any fuel might have leaked out when you did the job.

If you disconnected the battery and left it alone overnight before you did the job, it likely was depressurized but I'm just asking.

Neil

P.S. Water Wetter doesn't make the water any more or less likely to leak. It simply minimizes hot spots.
__________________

No fuel was leaked for sure. It doesn't smell like fuel and it would have evaporated by now. I did my valve cover gasket like 2 months ago. This is the first time I'm seeing it wet in this area since I replaced the VC + gasket.

Water wetter makes water really slippery and soap like. I'm just imagining how it could be happening, not saying I'm right.
__________________
2008 E92 335i 6MT: FBO + MMP Silicone Inlets | Stage 1 LPFP | 335is clutch + MFactory SMFW | Custom BuraQ E75+ MHD tune | 3.5Bar N20 sensor
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #16
TrollToll
Banned
TrollToll's Avatar
444
Rep
1,153
Posts

Drives: 535i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Read up on what freeze plugs are and how they work. He may be onto something if they are in fact freeze plugs. I know American engines very well, BMW not so much.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #17
sk55
First Lieutenant
41
Rep
346
Posts

Drives: 2010 335xi coupe
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

just blow it out with compressed air and dry it with a rag....

see if it comes back.

probably just coolant.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #18
speedhunter93
Private First Class
10
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

^ just use a rag to dry it up and see if if comes back
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #19
vbp6us
Major Private First Class
vbp6us's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
903
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere90 View Post
Read up on what freeze plugs are and how they work. He may be onto something if they are in fact freeze plugs. I know American engines very well, BMW not so much.
I can't believe no one else has experienced this on their E9x. I've searched the forums through and through.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sk55 View Post
just blow it out with compressed air and dry it with a rag....

see if it comes back.

probably just coolant.
It appears to be water/coolant. Why is it coming out though? I'm not overheating or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedhunter93 View Post
^ just use a rag to dry it up and see if if comes back
I did. There was a day between the two videos.

Anyone?
__________________
2008 E92 335i 6MT: FBO + MMP Silicone Inlets | Stage 1 LPFP | 335is clutch + MFactory SMFW | Custom BuraQ E75+ MHD tune | 3.5Bar N20 sensor
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #20
TrollToll
Banned
TrollToll's Avatar
444
Rep
1,153
Posts

Drives: 535i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Is it roughly 22mm? https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33...g/Freeze_Plug/
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #21
vbp6us
Major Private First Class
vbp6us's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
903
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere90 View Post
Yeah that's it. I found the part last night but is this a maintenance item that everyone eventually has to replace? I hear a really really loud ticking sound from the injector/valve cover area too. I ran a bottle of the Chevron fuel system cleaner last week too...WTF. Could it be related to that?

__________________
2008 E92 335i 6MT: FBO + MMP Silicone Inlets | Stage 1 LPFP | 335is clutch + MFactory SMFW | Custom BuraQ E75+ MHD tune | 3.5Bar N20 sensor
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #22
ferocity02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
231
Rep
1,769
Posts

Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (8)

Sounds normal for not having the engine cover on.
__________________
2007 E90 335i Pre-LCI
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST