E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Need upgraded clutch, want to keep stock flywheel, and stock "feel"

09-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335i

Need upgraded clutch, want to keep stock flywheel, and stock "feel"

Hey, guys! So, after the FlexFuel upgrade, it revealed that I pretty much need to get a new clutch. It's not critical at this point, but I want to start researching into different options.

I want the feel to be roughly the same as stock. I like how the stock engine revs, and have no need for sportier lightweight flywheel revving. My idea is to keep the car as friendly at low speeds as it is now. The only problem, my current pussycat (as Shiv astutely put it) clutch cannot handle the torque that this car is putting out. What sort of clutches should I look at that would handle the ~400 ft lbs (mustang dyno) that the car is putting to the road, and not be a relative bear to live with?

I've heard of Spec clutches, though they seem to be mated to a lightweight flywheel, but I could be wrong.

The key is, I'm not trying to make the car overall sportier. I'm not a track driver, and my skills aren't nearly to the point of demanding fancier, racier kit. I just love those highway pulls so very much, and want to have a clutch that can simply handle the torque
Ferruccio is offline   United_States
      09-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
135Hoser
Custom User Title

Drives: 09 135i

I too love the factory BMW clutch and the feel of it.

I would almost suggest asking Shiv to limit your peak torque in the tune. You may or may not notice the difference.
      09-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335i

There might be some clutch which feels roughly the same, like an HPF feramic clutch, which I've heard feels extremely friendly. The thing is, once I get the clutch figured out, I'll want to up the boost a bit. It's already somewhat limited, because of what the clutch is doing.
Ferruccio is offline   United_States