E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My warranty expired yesterday and my car broke down today WT??



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Dvdman
Captain
Dvdman's Avatar
30
Rep
905
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335 XI
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (2)

My warranty expired yesterday and my car broke down today WT??

My 2008 BMW 335xi warranty expired yesterday. I got in my car after leaving the train station today and it started bogging and the check engine was on. I turned it off and on a few times but the same thing. I thought my car was gonna die in the middle of the street. I brought it to Bill Jacobs BMW in Aurora/Naperville IL on the way home and talked to my S/A. He said it is expired. He said he could take care of the check engine problems but I would have to pay $500 in need of maintenance since I didnt come in on time and get all the maintenance taken care of. Should I try and talk to a manager or something or am I screwed? Im 1 day late of expiration!

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
BOBKUR
Major
13
Rep
1,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E 90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CALIFORNIA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvdman View Post
My 2008 BMW 335xi warranty expired yesterday. I got in my car after leaving the train station today and it started bogging and the check engine was on. I turned it off and on a few times but the same thing. I thought my car was gonna die in the middle of the street. I brought it to Bill Jacobs BMW in Aurora/Naperville IL on the way home and talked to my S/A. He said it is expired. He said he could take care of the check engine problems but I would have to pay $500 in need of maintenance since I didnt come in on time and get all the maintenance taken care of. Should I try and talk to a manager or something or am I screwed? Im 1 day late of expiration!

talk to the service manager, one day is BS.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
21
Rep
1,754
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

The Germans are getting pretty good at warranty engineering, aren't they...!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
2ndname
Autobot
2ndname's Avatar
4
Rep
454
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: East Bay

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [5.00]
Fight it, it's one day. Hopefully the supervisor has a heart.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
GChase
Captain
GChase's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
701
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 328i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Louisville, KY

iTrader: (0)

Life sucks
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
Slow_335i's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
2,495
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Peoria IL

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [3.32]
Call BMW NA and see if there's a grace period.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
ndog14
Banned
United_States
28
Rep
1,746
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Talk to the Service Manager and ask him to open a PUMA case.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
CharlieBear
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
222
Posts

 
Drives: white on red e92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

BMW won't do anything. You're screwed. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
bmw246
First Lieutenant
United_States
10
Rep
308
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i (e93)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

take it to moterwerks in barrington
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
HughiusMaximus
Private
1
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335d SE Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bristol

iTrader: (0)

Tough luck, hopefully they will do the decent thing and see you right...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
shaginwagon13
Charted Accountant
shaginwagon13's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
910
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
The Germans are getting pretty good at warranty engineering, aren't they...!
+1

Like other have said, try talking to the service manager and hopefully he can try and help you out.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #12
ndog14
Banned
United_States
28
Rep
1,746
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

To all the new guys saying he's screwed, you're wrong. There is typically a grace period and Service Managers can open PUMA cases, where they contact BMW NA to have them pay for repairs if anything occurs within X days of the warranty expiring.

OP, your problem is that you didn't get the maintenance done. So you have an 2008 car and it's 2012? If that was the factory warranty you also should have had the free maintenance on your car. Why did you not take advantage of free maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #13
shaginwagon13
Charted Accountant
shaginwagon13's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
910
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
To all the new guys saying he's screwed, you're wrong. There is typically a grace period and Service Managers can open PUMA cases, where they contact BMW NA to have them pay for repairs if anything occurs within X days of the warranty expiring.

OP, your problem is that you didn't get the maintenance done. So you have an 2008 car and it's 2012? If that was the factory warranty you also should have had the free maintenance on your car. Why did you not take advantage of free maintenance?
In most cases that get approved for BMW doing warranty work after the warranty expires there had to be a reported problem before the warranty expired that they did not fix for the customer, that qualifies for a PUMA case and usually gets the problem fixed for free.

BMW counts down the days until your waranty expires, don't expect them to fix anything for free after the warranty expires unless OP made complaints about the wastegates or turbos prior to his warranty expiring. This is why people make such a big deal about BMW Canada not providing us with the 8-year or 160,000km extanded warranty for the wastegates.

Last edited by shaginwagon13; 09-14-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #14
ken1137
Brigadier General
ken1137's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
3,697
Posts

 
Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
Bill Jacob sucks...take it to BMW in Westmont. GL...they should honor the warranty as a good faith gesture. Hopefully the Supervisor will step up.
__________________

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #15
vapore0n
Lieutenant
4
Rep
470
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post

OP, your problem is that you didn't get the maintenance done. So you have an 2008 car and it's 2012? If that was the factory warranty you also should have had the free maintenance on your car. Why did you not take advantage of free maintenance?
This.

Based on what the OP wrote, the dealer offered to take care of the check engine, but the car needs scheduled maintenance and his free maintenance expired day before.

Reading comprehension > a lot of people here
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #16
ndog14
Banned
United_States
28
Rep
1,746
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
In most cases that get approved for BMW doing warranty work after the warranty expires there had to be a reported problem before the warranty expired that they did not fix for the customer, that qualifies for a PUMA case and usually gets the problem fixed for free.

BMW counts down the days until your waranty expires, don't expect them to fix anything for free after the warranty expires unless OP made complaints about the wastegates or turbos prior to his warranty expiring. This is why people make such a big deal about BMW Canada not providing us with the 8-year or 160,000km extanded warranty for the wastegates.

OP is from 'Murika. If it's the wastegate or HPFP OP does not need to worry. And the day after the warranty expires is PUMA worthy.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #17
3erdriver
Second Lieutenant
3erdriver's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
248
Posts

 
Drives: _
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

That's a drag. Best thing you can try is just be level and uber appreciative/friendly. Attitude in a situation like this is the thing that will tip the scales. They can probably make it work for or deny anything...
__________________
.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #18
B.Corso
First Lieutenant
B.Corso's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
358
Posts

 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (3)

Depending on the dealership you are screwed. The compass in my rear view stopped working 1 week before my warranty expired. I called the dealership because I knew I wouldn't be able to bring the car in until after the warranty expired (I was living 200 miles from the nearest dealership). They told me if I couldn't bring the car in prior to the warranty expiring I would have to pay out of pocket. BMWNA told me the same thing. And this was just for a rear view mirror issue, it wasn't like I was trying to get free turbos out of them.
__________________
Performance |Dinan Stage 3 Software|Dinan IC|Dinan OC|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|Koni FSD Shocks and Struts|Eibach Spings|Hotchkis Anti Sway Bars|6MT|Style |Aero Lip|Aero Rear|M3 Spoiler|BMW Gloss Black Kidney Grills|BMW Aluminum Pedals|BMW LCI Tail Lights|HID Fog Lights|25%Tint|Advan AVS Model F7 19" Rims|Lux V3 AEs|Premium|Sport|Comfort Access|
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
Dvdman
Captain
Dvdman's Avatar
30
Rep
905
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335 XI
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
To all the new guys saying he's screwed, you're wrong. There is typically a grace period and Service Managers can open PUMA cases, where they contact BMW NA to have them pay for repairs if anything occurs within X days of the warranty expiring.

OP, your problem is that you didn't get the maintenance done. So you have an 2008 car and it's 2012? If that was the factory warranty you also should have had the free maintenance on your car. Why did you not take advantage of free maintenance?

I should have and i was a day late. It was my fault and I should have been aware. This is my first BMW coming from a Chevy Cavalier. I went in every year for my free oil changes and they look it over for maintenance. I was about to go in again but obviously I was too late. I am not asking for sympathy. I know I should have been on top of it. I talk to my S/A and he said he would take care of the check engine if there are any problems but I need to pay $673 for the maintenance which includes oil and all the fluids i guess. He said he could get the price from $673 to $500. I am just asking you guys that have been around BMW for a while if i had a good chance of winning if I fight about the expiration being a day. I really dont want to pay $500 right now do to some circumstances. Thanks for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #20
ndog14
Banned
United_States
28
Rep
1,746
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvdman View Post
I should have and i was a day late. It was my fault and I should have been aware. This is my first BMW coming from a Chevy Cavalier. I went in every year for my free oil changes and they look it over for maintenance. I was about to go in again but obviously I was too late. I am not asking for sympathy. I know I should have been on top of it. I talk to my S/A and he said he would take care of the check engine if there are any problems but I need to pay $673 for the maintenance which includes oil and all the fluids i guess. He said he could get the price from $673 to $500. I am just asking you guys that have been around BMW for a while if i had a good chance of winning if I fight about the expiration being a day. I really dont want to pay $500 right now do to some circumstances. Thanks for any advice.
I dont think you specified, but was the car under the factory warranty or CPO? If it was factory then you had the maintenance plan. Try to get BMW NA to cover the maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #21
Dvdman
Captain
Dvdman's Avatar
30
Rep
905
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335 XI
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
I dont think you specified, but was the car under the factory warranty or CPO? If it was factory then you had the maintenance plan. Try to get BMW NA to cover the maintenance.
He said maintenance would have been covered if I came in yesterday under the warranty. Thats what hurts...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
x-ception
Captain
x-ception's Avatar
15
Rep
936
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (13)

Car doesn't bog down if the oil is old or if the fluids haven't been changed you need to find out what codes you are throwing first, might be hpfp or bad injectors which are covered under the recall and should be free if all you need is some new spark plugs and an oil change then go to a local indy shop n get it done for half the price but make sure they do the free warranty work first.
__________________
COBB |DINAN CAI|AA FMIC|VK|OSS| Arkym

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST