E90Post

Alpine HID

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Jacking up the E90

09-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
D_o_S
LCI'd

Drives: 335i LCI

Jacking up the E90

Hi,

I need some help regarding jacking up the E90: there seems to be big controversy regarding the rear jacking point. Some say the big black metal part (subframe) with holes is OK, others say that because of the holes it's too weak to hold the car...

I need to get the car on jack stands. Can I do this by jacking up the side at the front, and placing a stand at the rear - then lower the car, go to the other side, do the same - then go to the front jack point under the engine and raise the front, place 2 jackstands at the front?

Thanks.
      09-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
dieselgg
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 E90 335i

I have jacked the car up from the rear subframe and had no issues. I think you should be fine. After all, it is a subframe.

I would do the following;

1) Jack the car up from the front jack lift point, and place jackstands under the jackstand point located behind each of the front rear tires.

2) I would then lift the car from the rear subframe and then place jackstands under the jackstand support points located in front of each of the rear tires.

Please make sure that the jackstand support points are sitting firmly on the jackstands. I made blocks out of hardwood to fit in the jackstand plastic support points for more support.

Also, of course when lifting the vehicle from the rear subframe, please ensure the front of the vehicle is stable and firm on the front two jackstands as your are lifting the rear of the vehicle.

I'm sure others members can add in other fine points that I may have left out. ...
      09-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Brad from the OC
Private First Class

Drives: 325Ia Alpine White

Try this.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461718
Brad from the OC is offline   United_States
      09-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
BKV122
Major

Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [4.75]
Attached Images

Monaco Blue 330xi - Terra Interior/6-MT/Sport/Premium/Cold/CSL's/M3 Spoiler Lip/Black Kidney's
BKV122 is offline   United_States