E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Severe Uneven wear pattern

09-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
jmdevince

Drives: 2008 328i Sport

Angry Severe Uneven wear pattern

So, 4 months ago, I get an alignment done with my regular maintenance. 3 Months ago my tires get to the point where I need to replace them, so I do. I replace them with this set: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....port%20Package

2 Days ago my tire pressure indicator comes on for all 4 tires. It's cooled down outside but I'll check for nails anyways because one of the tires just doesn't look right. Upon inspecting the tire I find the following uneven wear: http://i.hexhost.net/2012092016060130.JPG (hint: look at the inner edge of the tire (left)). WTF!? These are brand new! The right front and rear tires are wearing perfectly.

I swear something is bent in the suspension. I'm not a suspension expert so I take it to BMW. They sell me the usual BS about it being an alignment issue. I think to myself.. it's been 4 months, I did get a new set of tires, and I had that wheel replaced too (rim had some curb rash when i bought the car used so i decided to replace it at a later date). I argue with the service adviser saying that something is probably bent, I've never seen wear this uneven. The adviser doesn't budge. I figure, screw it, maybe she's right but the only way to know is to have it done.

They do it. I get these numbers back: http://i.hexhost.net/20120920160621595.JPG

B.S. Camber was within spec!? No. Freaking. Way. Something has to have been bent.

Am I crazy or am I right that there is no way that was caused by an "alignment issue"?
      09-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Dhoffm80
Private First Class

Drives: 09,e92,335i,6m,nav,sprt,cw,19"

Rear axle BMW specs
Tires are supposed to have a camber of -1.50 and they can be plus or neg .25 so you can be at -1.75 to -1.25 and still be in spec. Camber will cause wear on the inner or outer edges depending on + or - BMW wants negative on rear wheels so our inner rear tires will wear faster and BMW manufactures tires alongside the approved manufactures because they use bi compounds soft on outer rear edges so as you corner and outer tire rolls it sticks the inner edges of there tires are harder so during regular straight driving without Corning your tire don't wear to the cords and belt.

Your rear tires had excessive toe which will cause feathering and scalping on the edges.

Front wheels are same but less camber cause they normally have a caster angle which isn't adjustable but when tires are turned in corners the camber is increased from the caster.

Now the toe on the front and rear wheels always points slightly in because as you increase spread the fronts of your tires will pullout so there is alarmist no toe at all unless your toe is over adjusted which from your pic it looks bad it is in the red.

Last if your tires do not have the star on the sidewall then they are not made to BMW standards yes the dws is a great tire and awesome wear but they were made for cars set with a 0 camber and almost no toe so the tread compound is the same from inside to out which is gonna cause your inner edges to wear a lot faster then outer possibly leaving you with lots of tread life from middle to the outer edge tire when inner tire will have belts and cords showing.

Last as I said BMW recommended tires non RFT or RFT are designed for BMW suspension settings harder inner rubber softer outer rubber so the tires will wear more evenly with highway driving and Corning.

Also if you have non run flats I'm not sure but your tire pressure shouldn't be kept at the same pressure as on the door placard it was designed for the stiffer sidewall of the run flat which if kept at the inflation of a standard tires will cause tire wear on the edges leaving center without heavy wear same if you have over inflated non RFTs the center of your tire will have I creased wear check out the m cars door placards they put less psi in the tires.

Sorry for long post was trying to explain as much as I could about the tires yes your alignment was out but not severe or it would be upwards of 200 250 going off what I paid cause they would have had to replace control arms or shims they were able to adjust so was all standard and you should have an alignment done with every set of tires or yearly if you have long tread life tires

And the other reason your seeing heavy wear is because the conti dws were not made for the camber of the car
Dhoffm80 is offline   United_States