E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > In need of headlight installation - Haverhill, MA

10-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
techietaichi
Captain

Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI

In need of headlight installation - Haverhill, MA

Just thought I might reach out to anyone that could do this install for me. I wish I could do it myself, but lack the tools to do so. They're aftermarket CCFL Halo Projector Headlights that are to replace the factory non "angel eyes" I have now. I'm also not certain, but believe there's extra wiring that needs to be attached to the park light wiring in order for the halo's to work properly. Of course compensation will be rendered and hey, I'll even get greasy with you if you like. I love learning how my bimmer works! Please PM me if you're interested and thanks.

techietaichi is offline   United_States
      10-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
darkrom
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 135i

I'd return them. Went the aftermarket projectors to get rid of halogens. Leaking and unfixable LED failures etc.

I ended up dealing with aHUGE hassle then going OEM headlights.

Return them while you can seriously. If you INSIST on using these, my buddy will do it for the right price, but he will NOT be responsible when you hate their low quality.

Please take my advice and return them.
darkrom is online now   United_States
      10-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
techietaichi
Captain

It's like that huh? Hmm...I'm still compelled to give it a try, but now you got me scared dude, thanks. Ehe.
      10-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
darkrom
Lieutenant Colonel

Do yourself a leak test at the VERY least. Leave the lights out in the rain overnight or something. If they leak don't bother installing them. Mine were half fogged and FULLY retarded. Full of electrical issues as well.
      10-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
wmb0000
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 E93 328I

I believe these are just plug and play but you will definitely got errors on these that needed to be coded to get rid of these errors or some would use error cancelor to be error free.

Since your is an 2006 that would mean you have FRM1 module and can not make your AE run as DRL, you will need to upgrade to a higher FRM module to allow coding to do that.

I am currently running Umitza which is ok, I like it and have my car coded to be error free. I also have FRM1 module so I can not run AE as my DRL like others. Quality is ok not OEM but I guess you get what you pay. I park in a garage most of the time so I have no issue with fogging and such.
      10-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
darkrom
Lieutenant Colonel

Mine was parked in a car port. Not quite a garage, but still not left outside. Mine could have been a fluke etc, but my experience with aftermarket headlights makes me think it is not uncommon for them to suck and leak.
      10-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
techietaichi
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
Do yourself a leak test at the VERY least. Leave the lights out in the rain overnight or something. If they leak don't bother installing them. Mine were half fogged and FULLY retarded. Full of electrical issues as well.
When you say "leak" do you mean that these aftermarkets are susceptible to moisture?

I actually went back to the description page and in the small print found this:

"Technical Note

Condensation buildup is possible if the lights are not installed properly, which indicates that the light assembly does not have an airtight seal. This may happen to any brand or even OEM parts."

Fark!
      10-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
darkrom
Lieutenant Colonel

Protip: that RARELY happens with OEM parts. I'd say never unless you get a 1 in a million defect or broke it somehow. It does happen with aftermarket a lot in my experience. I'm just trying to save you headaches while you can still return it.

Cost me about $1k to add the OEM projectors, but it was the first time I felt like I could actually SEE at night in my E90.
      10-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
techietaichi
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
Cost me about $1k to add the OEM projectors
WHAT THE....?

Believe me man, if I had the dough I'd have taken that route already, but for $500 more, I'd have 2 new front struts, 2 new control arm assemblies and dropped my bimmer(all three of which I'll be doing next Spring by the way ). I know sometimes taking the frugal route isn't always the smartest thing to do, but I've been known to be a blithering idiot, just ask my wife, lol. I gotta at least try and if it fails horribly, it will be a well paid for lesson!