E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Progressive Insurance, Deer. PSA - War Has Begun

09-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #23
S3RI35
definitely two turbos.

Drives: 09E90 (335i)

no wonder progressive is cheaper than the rest... damnit.
      09-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159

Drives: E93 335 Vert E36 M3/4

I was hit by a Progressive Insurance member and I had zero issues with the repair. Done correctly and quickly using factory parts.
This was in Florida so not sure how that translates to other states.
I was impressed enough to get Progressive on my new Outback and my insurance agent is a guy I have been with for 12 years and he doesn't operate to screw the customer so I guess it all depends...
fun2drive is offline   United_States
      09-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #25
ti8589
Private

Drives: 335i

Always amazes me how people chose critical things like insurance based only on lowest cost or what TV commercials they like the most.

Sorry but you bought sub-rate insurance.
      09-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #26
1QuikWS6
No 55mph

Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage

Garage List
Most insurance companies (if not all) default position as to replacement parts, is that they can, & will replace parts with 'approved' aftermarket parts, and will attempt to fix flexible parts initially instead of replacing with new of any type. This usually has nothing to do with how much you pay or the quality of the insurance company - as it seems to be across the board regardless of company used.

Usually, there is a lifetime warranty on the parts and work done thru the insurance company (at least with Nationwide there is). If you have a problem with an aftermarket part, or an attempted fix - they will do over at no cost - and usually they will then go with the oem parts. I have been thru this at least 3x with some of my older cars:
  • Once when an aftermarket headlight filled with water after 3 months - they replaced 2nd time with OEM
  • Aftermarket hood rusted from inside out after 1 yr - they replaced/repainted with OEM
  • Tried repairing flexible front bumper - repair broke again after a couple months - they then replaced/painted the entire front bumper with OEM

I'm sure that some insurance bean counter has done a study that shows that recalls on aftermarket parts used is small compared to the $$ they save using non OEM parts...

With my BMW I pay xtra on my Nationwide policy for an 'adder' to ensure that only OEM parts are used regardless - the xtra amount came to around $15 xtra/6 months - which to me, is nothing to ensure they use only the best.

On my Pontiacs, that xtra 'adder' is not necessary, as the GM body shop I always take them to has their own policy of using ONLY OEM parts - even though they charge for aftermarket. They stated they have found that it saves them $$ and time in the long run to do it this way rather than 'eat' the redo costs that may be associated with aftermarket parts.
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
1QuikWS6 is offline   United_States
      09-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #27
Asiana Jones
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
You get what you pay for.
I would be fine with this statement, if I weren't paying 2600/yr.
      09-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #28
Asiana Jones
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti8589 View Post
Always amazes me how people chose critical things like insurance based only on lowest cost or what TV commercials they like the most.

Sorry but you bought sub-rate insurance.
I am fighting because the agent never told me that I needed to separately purchase loaner coverage or anything about OEM replacements.

So I am fighting it, for this reason. I got duped.
      09-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #29
Asiana Jones
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
I was hit by a Progressive Insurance member and I had zero issues with the repair. Done correctly and quickly using factory parts.
This was in Florida so not sure how that translates to other states.
I was impressed enough to get Progressive on my new Outback and my insurance agent is a guy I have been with for 12 years and he doesn't operate to screw the customer so I guess it all depends...
Well, they are trying to convert you from the second the claim is put in. Secondly, you can file a law suit over anything that wasn't handled properly, so they are going to do everything in their power to make you happy.
      09-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #30
Asiana Jones
Private First Class

Update:

I found a body shop that does all the work for the local BMW Store. Family owned for 37 years. I had a friend recommend the place as he just had to file a claim for his 330. They (being progressive) tried to give him a used "refurb" bumper for his car.

He took it to Dave Orr's Body Shop and they ordered the used bumper, said it failed to meet quality standards, and then they ordered the new one.

I spoke to the owner, and he said they will do the same thing for me. Order the aftermarket parts, show the drive-out progressive person they aren't an exact fit, send the aftermarket parts back and get the OEM parts installed at the expense of progressive.

Hopefully this will pan out. In hindsight, thank God I wasn't injured or killed and that this only as bad as it is. Thanks for the support guys. This is obviously a huge learning experience for me as it has opened my eyes when it comes to insurance and all that it entails.
      09-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #31
dd243372
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Jet Black E90 328i LCI

Good luck on all your repairs...I'm going in for my estimate with Geico today...hope I don't get F@#Ked. (ll)
      09-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #32
Asiana Jones
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd243372 View Post
Good luck on all your repairs...I'm going in for my estimate with Geico today...hope I don't get F@#Ked. (ll)
Thanks man, I hope all goes well for you too. I'm sure it's great reading a thread like this right after an accident, ha.
      09-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #33
S3RI35
definitely two turbos.

Drives: 09E90 (335i)

I just don't get that they don't repair the car with OEM parts... isn't insurance supposed to cover the value of the things that we currently have, and not to replace damaged parts with some no-name, aftermarket crap?
      09-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #34
luv135i
Captain

Drives: White

Garage List
SInce Progressive is your company it is spelled out in your policy jacket what parts they can use. No one ever reads that entire thing and it is somewhat BS but if its in that policy jacket they can use whatever parts they want and you have no choice but to come out of pocket.
      09-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #35
luv135i
Captain

Drives: White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiana Jones View Post
Update:

I found a body shop that does all the work for the local BMW Store. Family owned for 37 years. I had a friend recommend the place as he just had to file a claim for his 330. They (being progressive) tried to give him a used "refurb" bumper for his car.

He took it to Dave Orr's Body Shop and they ordered the used bumper, said it failed to meet quality standards, and then they ordered the new one.

I spoke to the owner, and he said they will do the same thing for me. Order the aftermarket parts, show the drive-out progressive person they aren't an exact fit, send the aftermarket parts back and get the OEM parts installed at the expense of progressive.

Hopefully this will pan out. In hindsight, thank God I wasn't injured or killed and that this only as bad as it is. Thanks for the support guys. This is obviously a huge learning experience for me as it has opened my eyes when it comes to insurance and all that it entails.
This is an option but dont be surprised if you have to press the issue...Progressive is picky on fixing cars..
      09-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #36
upstatedoc
Drone Expert

Drives: '09 BMW 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiana Jones View Post
I would be fine with this statement, if I weren't paying 2600/yr.
$2600!! How many vehicles does that cover?
      09-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #37
Asiana Jones
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
$2600!! How many vehicles does that cover?
Just me. One vehicle. So I was getting screwed. Many lessons have been learned here. I must take some of the blame here as being young and naive. But I was getting worked from the start.
      09-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #38
elcheapoloco
douchebaggo

Drives: stick

NEVER accept non-OEM HID headlights. The optics are subpar and you WILL have scattered light patterns. Illumination is nowhere near OEM. I have personally seen this.
      09-26-2012, 02:54 AM   #39
alexanderlt
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

All I have to say is you get what you pay for. You want to go with the cheapest place online they're going to give you the cheapest quality of service when you go to get your car fixed.

Sorry, this is the most difficult thing when explaining to people. I'm an agent at Farmers and everyone is so focused on price and not the quality of the work or service being done if an accident ever happens.

Most people think of it this way, Progressive is like Walmart, they're cheap and inexpensive, Farmers/State Farm/ Allstate could be considered the Nordstroms/ Macys of Insurance. You get crappy service from Walmart (Progressive) and great service from the Nordstroms (Farmers etc.)
      09-26-2012, 02:55 AM   #40
alexanderlt
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

And you're probably paying $2600 a year because your record isn't clean. I can guarantee you wouldn't be paying that much if you record was completely clear.
      09-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #41
Asiana Jones
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderlt View Post
All I have to say is you get what you pay for. You want to go with the cheapest place online they're going to give you the cheapest quality of service when you go to get your car fixed.

Sorry, this is the most difficult thing when explaining to people. I'm an agent at Farmers and everyone is so focused on price and not the quality of the work or service being done if an accident ever happens.

Most people think of it this way, Progressive is like Walmart, they're cheap and inexpensive, Farmers/State Farm/ Allstate could be considered the Nordstroms/ Macys of Insurance. You get crappy service from Walmart (Progressive) and great service from the Nordstroms (Farmers etc.)
I really wasn't even shopping for a deal. I just picked the first one and went with it, so your Walmart reference does not apply here. Insurance obviously isn't my forte, so my bad Mr. Insurance Agent.

As for my record? I got a speeding ticket 3 years ago. So being under 25, with a speeding ticket, I guess this is what got me? I wasn't paying for cheap full coverage, wasn't trying to cut corners, I just went out and got insurance. My "agent" did not ask or go over loaner coverage, nor anything pertaining OEM parts. I'm sure if I shopped around I could have found something cheaper/better. Which is why in a previous post I said I must accept some of the blame for my lack of experience.

Thank you for bettering my opinion of insurance agents though, you've done a great job.
      09-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #42
driverman
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E90 328i 6MT

Thank you OP for bringing this to our attention. I'm going to call my insurance company today to learn more about my coverage.

I hope you get your car repaired with OEM parts.
driverman is offline   United_States
      09-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #43
Asiana Jones
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverman View Post
Thank you OP for bringing this to our attention. I'm going to call my insurance company today to learn more about my coverage.

I hope you get your car repaired with OEM parts.
Thanks! I really appreciate it. This whole experience has been eye-opening.
      09-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #44
cmyk
resident girl.

Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderlt
And you're probably paying $2600 a year because your record isn't clean. I can guarantee you wouldn't be paying that much if you record was completely clear.
Somewhat agree, but this isn't necessarily true. A lot more than driving record is factored in to your premium rate. I have a perfect driving record and pay around $3,000 per year for my 2 vehicles. Location (down to your neighborhood/zip code), deductibles, coverage limits, age and lots of other factors are taken into account.

OP you are learning a valuable lesson here that unfortunately most people have to learn at some point (usually the hard way). Hopefully your situation will become a learning experience for others as well. Insurance is always a gamble. We are all paying for something that we hopefully will never have to use. I'm glad to hear that you are OK, and the damage wasn't catastrophic. These types of situations are never pleasant and hopefully everything will work out in your favor and you'll come out of this a bit wiser We all have to start somewhere, so best of luck to you

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Black M6 wheels + Toyo Proxes
(and yes, I am a girl)
cmyk is offline   United_States