E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > E92 335i Progression & Updates Thread by: BMB063

01-20-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

E92 335i Progression & Updates Thread by: BMB063

I have owned my Alpine White E92 335i for just over a year now and realized I haven't been organized when it documenting updates, mods, and other things related to the car. The point of this thread will be for me to post everything related to the car in order. Hopefully this will help others out there with questions, and I hope to have some questions answered as well.
I digress, here is some background to start:

Intro/About Me:
My name is Brandon and I am in my mid 20s. I used to own a 2006 Honda Accord i4 sedan. This was a super reliable car as I had virtually no problems with it for the entire time of ownership which was to about 100k miles. It was a solid high-revving engine, but rather boring car. I did a bunch of things myself like a sound system, tinting, plasti-dip wheels, K&N Intake, and a couple other things. I was considering doing some suspension work, but decided to wait and save the money for the next car. I also had some chances to test out my detailing skills and before I sold it, the paint looked brand new! After I got a job where I made some real money, I saved as best as I could and eventually got my E92 in September of 2014.

How I Decided On the 335i:
I was open to all brands, makes, and models of cars, although I did have a few requirements. - Which I stuck to because it was finally time to get exactly what I wanted!

My Requirements:
- Manual
- Coupe (no convertible)
- "Quick"
- Sporty
- Awd or Rwd
- Somewhat tunable
- Black leather interior (no light wood trim!)
- Sporty but not a punishing ride
- Around $30k
- < 40k miles
- < 5 years old

Some other cars I considered:
- 135i
- 328i
- Audi S5
- C Class coupe
- Infinity G37s
- Hyundai Genesis Coupe
- Mustang GT

As you can see, most of my requirements fit the 335i quite well. After many months of looking and researching, I concluded that the 335i was for me. It wasn't just another 3 series on the road. People don't buy 335is for the same reason that they buy a 320i or 328i. Don't get me wrong (for those of you with those cars) they are great cars, I just wanted something a bit more! I was fine with the N54 or N55 motors, even though I heard plenty about the early N54 reliability issues. Also, what I really liked about the 335i was that it appeared as a nicer (more expensive) car than it cost me. That wasn't a requirement, but it was kind of cool knowing I paid around $30k for a car that people see as close to $50k brand new.

So back to my car. It was shipped from Texas to Florida (where I lived at the time). I test drove it once and then bought it that day! The rest is history, just kidding - I hope to document the rest in this thread as things happen. I will try to post in order and keep up to date with any changes.

I've worked very hard to get my car and grateful I could trade up to it at the point of my life that I did. Hope you enjoy! Plenty of updates and pictures to come!

Specs on my car (off the top of my head):
- 2011 E92
- Alpine White
- Manual
- Black leather interior
- Bamboo Anthracite Trim
- Navigation / iDrive
- M Sport Package
- Sun Roof

* I can add to this, but does anyone know a good way to look up the trims/packages your car has? Maybe inputting the VIN somewhere?

Here is the first picture I took
Totally stock and tinting just on the rear around 20% I believe. (and no, I still haven't got spacers!) Yet!

I can't stand the light multi-colored wood trim that is in a lot of BMWs. Grateful my car has the Bamboo Anthracite trim inside:

Clean engine as expected

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | Proud member of #ObsessedGarage www.ObsessedGarage.com

Last edited by BMB063; 02-23-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

First change was adding tinting to the front doors and sun strip to the windshield.

Doors:
I went with 25% on the doors since the back was already done and looked to be 20%. I love the way it turned out, but honestly darker than expected. The black interior and white paint make it appear even darker in the picture

Windshield:
I have never been a huge fan of the front sun strip, but figured I would give it a try since I lived in Florida and the sun was unbearable in the summer. I love it. I would say as long as you don't get it 1/3rd of the way down your windshield, I can still be a clean look.

I'll post more once I get caught up!

Here are some pictures:

Last edited by BMB063; 02-23-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 11:27 PM   #3
fmoua916
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Congrats on the car and let the mod bugg come out
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 01:16 AM   #4
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (07 335i E93)

Here ya go:
http://www.bmwvin.com
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 01:23 AM   #5
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 6MT

Congrats on the car.
I respect you just for the fact you got a car with a man pedal.
I haven't really seen that interior trim much before, I like it.
Happy modding!
      01-21-2016, 02:05 AM   #6
Alen E90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

Welcome and congrats on your new 3! Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work!

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:11 AM   #7
swagon
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E82|N55|6MT

Garage List
Nice car, man. Enjoy it.
      01-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #8
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30, '11 f10

car looks great and good luck with her! cant go wrong with alpine white/ black msport. Until you decide on wheels i suggest getting some spacers to bring them out from under those wheel wells some and definitely get some painted reflectors to lose the orange up front.
      01-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
335iM-Sport
Teufel Hunden
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport 6MT

Nice car. One of the first things I did was to get rid of the 193s. I just don't like them.

2011 335i M-Sport | BSM | N55 | BMS Intake | BMS Stage 1 | VRSF Charge Pipe | Black Grills | High Kick Rear Spoiler | Golf Tee Mod | 19" Gunmetal Niche Misano M116 | 15mm R/12mm F | AK CF Front Lip
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #10
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Thanks so much! Now the challenge is figuring out exactly what each line item means, haha.

Here is the list for anyone curious.

Order options
No. Description
1CA SELECTION COP RELEVANT VEHICLES
2MF M L.-A. W. STAR SPOKE 193 M/MIX.T.
2VB TYRE PRESSURE INDICATOR
319 INTEGRATED UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL
337 M SPORT PACKAGE
4BY FINE-WOOD TRIM BAMBOO GRAIN ANTHRACITE
4NA INTERIOR MIRROR WITH DIG. COMPASS
4NE BLOW-BY-HEATER
403 GLAS ROOF, ELECTRIC
430 INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE
431 INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-D
481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
488 LUMBAR SUPPORT DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
544 CRUISE CONTROL WITH BRAKING FUNCTION
563 LIGHTS PACKAGE
570 STRONGER ELECTRICITY SUPPLY
6AA BMW TELESERVICES
6AB CONTROL TELESERVICES
6FL USB-/AUDIO INTERFACE
6UH TRAFFIC INFORMATION
6VC CONTROL COMBOX
609 NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL
615 EXTENDED BMW ONLINE INFORMATION
620 VOICE INPUT SYSTEM
639 COMPLETE PREP. CELLULAR PHONE USA/CDN
676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM
693 SATELLITE TUNER PREPARATION
697 AREA-CODE 1
704 M SPORT SUSPENSION
710 M LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
715 M AERODYNAMICS PACKAGE
760 INDIVIDUAL HIGH-GLOSS SATIN CHROME
775 INDIVIDUAL ROOF-LINING ANTHRACITE
8SC COUNTRY SPEC. RELEASE OF TELESERVICE
8SP COP CONTROL
8S4 DECODING VARIABLE LIGHT DISTRIBUTIO
8TL DAYTIME LIGHTS FRONT AND REAR AKTIV
8TN DAYTIME DRIVING LIGHTS SELECTABLE B
840 HIGH SPEED SYNCHRONISATION
925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE

Series options
No. Description
459 SEAT ADJUSTM., ELECTR. W. MEMORY
5AK LED-LIGHT ELEMENTS
5DS LUGGAGE-COMPARTMENT EMERG. RELEASE
521 RAIN SENSOR
522 XENON LIGHT
524 ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS
645 RADIO CONTROL US
823 HOT CLIMATE VERSION
845 ACOUSTIC BELT WARNING
850 ADD FUEL TANK FILLING FOR EXPORT
853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH
876 RADIO FREQUENCY 315 MHZ
992 NUMBER PLATE ATTACHEMENT MANAGEMENT

My only question would be about the 676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM. That isn't the HK system is it? I was surprised at how well the speakers performed assuming they were the standard ones.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 10:19 PM   #11
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmoua916 View Post
Congrats on the car and let the mod bugg come out
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
Congrats on the car.
I respect you just for the fact you got a car with a man pedal.
I haven't really seen that interior trim much before, I like it.
Happy modding!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen E90 View Post
Welcome and congrats on your new 3! Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Nice car, man. Enjoy it.
^^^Thank you!!! More to come

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 10:50 PM   #12
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
car looks great and good luck with her! cant go wrong with alpine white/ black msport. Until you decide on wheels i suggest getting some spacers to bring them out from under those wheel wells some and definitely get some painted reflectors to lose the orange up front.
Yeah, I've been planning on getting spacers for a while now. Will probably do it in spring when I get new rear tires...they are pretty much shot right now Unfortunately I might be just getting another set of run flats for the rear and then when all 4 are about the same wear, I'll get a nice set of rims and rubber. What size spacers would you say is a safe set to get that I can use with my current set up and then for most rim dimensions? If you're even able to narrow it down that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iM-Sport View Post
Nice car. One of the first things I did was to get rid of the 193s. I just don't like them.
I actually like the 193s especially for stock. (or from the factory) They will do for now and then maybe switch out for some like this:

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #13
335iM-Sport
Teufel Hunden
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMB063
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Yeah, I've been planning on getting spacers for a while now. Will probably do it in spring when I get new rear tires...they are pretty much shot right now Unfortunately I might be just getting another set of run flats for the rear and then when all 4 are about the same wear, I'll get a nice set of rims and rubber. What size spacers would you say is a safe set to get that I can use with my current set up and then for most rim dimensions? If you're even able to narrow it down that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iM-Sport View Post
I actually like the 193s especially for stock. (or from the factory) They will do for now and then maybe switch out for some like this:

Those wheels are almost identical to mine. Next up is are spacers and a mild drop.

2011 335i M-Sport | BSM | N55 | BMS Intake | BMS Stage 1 | VRSF Charge Pipe | Black Grills | High Kick Rear Spoiler | Golf Tee Mod | 19" Gunmetal Niche Misano M116 | 15mm R/12mm F | AK CF Front Lip
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 07:59 PM   #14
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Okay - how could I forget this. After a month of ownership a F-150 backed into my parked car in my work parking lot. First time I've ever had any of my cars hit or any sort of accident. This was one of the worst days ever (not being dramatic). Seeing my car like this after a month of ownership.

Long story short, it was all covered by their insurance and I got a new bumper and some plastic liner in the wheel well and underneath. Something positive that came out of it was that I had two holes drilled in my front bumper from the previous owner from where the license plate was. Glad to have a fresh bumper! What a day that was. I also remember driving around a beige Nissan Altima which was one of the worst cars I've ever driven.

Here are some pics from that day. Don't worry guys this happened about a year ago, just trying to stay in order here.

Bungee cord was a decent temporary fix for the ride home.

New bumper! Reminds me of how much I hated the chrome kidneys. - Which I replaced soon after!

With the holes gone and the gloss black kidneys, I couldn't be happier with the car after owning it for maybe 2 months! Now I just need a CF splitter and I'll be set!

Last edited by BMB063; 02-23-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #15
Underground6t9
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

Nice progress
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #16
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So when I got my windshield tinted, the guy pointed out a large crack coming from where the rear view mirror is. I trust he didn't crack it and I just totally overlooked it when buying the car. It's weird, once I knew it was there I could see it, but before - had no idea. It was also nice to get a fresh windshield. Free to me since my insurance covered it all.

Last edited by BMB063; 02-23-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 10:17 PM   #17
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Almost forgot, around the same time I did the kidneys, I also threw in some Nokya yellow fogs. I really like the look with the Xenon headlights and yellow fogs. I was surprised how many clips there were to take out in the wheel well, at least 10!

Here are a few shots:

Last edited by BMB063; 02-23-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 10:34 PM   #18
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

JB4 & Downpipes!

After owning the car for a bit and talking to people about potential mods, I pulled the trigger on some solid performance mods. I went with the JB4 and VRSF Catless Downpipes. It made the most sense to do both given the downpipes would throw a code, and the JB4 would only give you so much of an advantage by installing it alone. The cobb was more involved than I was willing to get and I have never tuned a car. I wanted to keep my changes in my current abilities and knowledge in case something happened I could actually have a chance of fixing it.

Anyways, the difference is night and day. Even the N54 guys say my car pulls pretty hard for just those two upgrades. I feel that my car is more in "sleeper" mode than anything right now since pretty much everything on the exterior is stock. I'm just even quicker than expected. I plan to do other performance mods, but this is one solid step in the right direction if you ask me. Here are some pictures and footage. The cold start is so great!

Last edited by BMB063; 02-23-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 05:01 AM   #19
EB89
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Car sounds nice, how does your missus like the sound? What were her comments?

The next step is an exhaust (muffler) and that takes the noise from loud to holy fuck loud.

Because you are N55 (and I'm assuming not x drive) you have no cats in your mid pipes so just keep that in mind if you are thinking about an exhaust.

I had to put some resenators in mine to quiet it down.

Over all I really like your car, if I didn't get black white was my next choice, glad you had a good outcome with the front end, you are luck to have the bumper replaced and now had no holes drilled, something accidents can be good things haha.

Are you planning any wheel changes or sticking with stock?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #20
Ruddigger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91

How have you had the car over a year if you bought it in September 2015?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #21
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
Car sounds nice, how does your missus like the sound? What were her comments?

The next step is an exhaust (muffler) and that takes the noise from loud to holy fuck loud.

Because you are N55 (and I'm assuming not x drive) you have no cats in your mid pipes so just keep that in mind if you are thinking about an exhaust.

I had to put some resenators in mine to quiet it down.

Over all I really like your car, if I didn't get black white was my next choice, glad you had a good outcome with the front end, you are luck to have the bumper replaced and now had no holes drilled, something accidents can be good things haha.

Are you planning any wheel changes or sticking with stock?
She actually doesn't mind the sound and has never complained once! Most times she refers to my car as "loud" and that's about it. Honestly, the loudest is just the cold starts when it's chilly out (in a parking garage) and then it calms down after 10-30 seconds as you can see in the video. What's nice is that I can control the can-flap with the JB4 to either "active" or always open. So I can have the car sound close to stock when the can-flap is active.

I would consider an exhaust, but I just love the sound of it right now. Loud when I want, quieter if I really want. No resonators currently (if I'm not mistaken) (right, no x-drive), but I will probably keep it that way unless change the exhaust.

I would LOVE to change my wheels out, but money is kind of tight right now so I am on the fence. I desperately need new rear tires and I'm running on the stock run flats . The 3 options I'm considering are:

1) Get a lightly used set for the rear
2) Get some decent summer tires on all 4 (non runflats)
3) Pick up a set of used rims (w/tires) and just bite the bullet

1 and 2 are actually close in price since I can sell the front run flats in option 2. Still on the fence. It might just come down to what I find a better deal on first. Also, thanks for the nice response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddigger View Post
How have you had the car over a year if you bought it in September 2015?
^ Good question! That's a mistake. I purchased the car in September 2014 so it's been a little over a year since I've owned it.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #22
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After I had a tune on it for a couple of months I noticed that the idling was jumpy when the engine was cold. It was very odd. Sometimes it would actually stall if I didn't give it a little gas. I couldn't figure it out and asked around. I asked fellow BMW owners, car guys, dealer, mechanics. Eventually I resorted to changing out the spark plugs (what most people suggested) despite having super low mileage. I went with Bosch and standard spacing.
Unfortunately, this didn't help the idling issue.

Recent update about my idling issue:
I went in for an oil change a couple months ago at the dealer and they told me about a Vanos bolt recall for the N55s. Long story short, this fixed the problem!! The symptons of the recall are exactly what I was having. I can't imagine the cost if it wasn't part of the recall, glad it was done and no more idling issues! Any N55 owners - check for the recall even without symptoms! Here are some pictures

Also, I decided to swap out the stock charge pipe with a VRSF charge pipe. That was more preventative maintenance than anything else. Even after a small tune, it seems that everyone recommends the charge pipe swapped. BMW shouldn't have been so cheap with that plastic.

Last edited by BMB063; 02-23-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Appreciate 0