E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Out of warranty: When to do oil changes?

07-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
thechoson
Enlisted Member

Drives: 328i

Out of warranty: When to do oil changes?

I've been browsing threads and seems like opinions are mixed on whether to wait out the full 15,000 miles between oil changes, or do them sooner. I'm in the latter camp. During the warranty/free maintenance period BMW was giving free annual oil changes, so I feel at the very worst I should get annual oil changes.

I have an 08 328i. Only 32k miles on the odometer. I'm getting close to the 1 year mark since my last oil change, but because I drive so little it's only been 4000 miles! The 4000 miles has probably been a 50/50 highway/city driving split.

I'm not a DIYer, but cost doesn't bother me too much (it's what, $100 for an oil change at worst?). But I'm wondering if it might be overkill to get an oil change after just 4k miles, even if it has been a year. Should I wait until 5k? 7500?

I don't think I should wait until my computer says to take it in, it says I still have another 9000 miles until an oil change, that could be another 2 years for me!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
smittty634
United_States

Drives: black e90 335i n54

Garage List
2008 bmw 335i  [0.00]
if i was you i would wait till about 7,000 miles if u have the bmw brand oil
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
idrift4wd
Brigadier General

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
if you're more comfortable. do it by 4-6 month intervals.

if you're not going to drive your car much, <5-7k mile a year change it once a year. If you drive more frequently I would do it 2 times a year.

try to see if your dealer sometime give out oil change deals. mine does it for 79.99. Original price is 130
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
benjlv
Private First Class

Drives: 97 m3 & 06 330i

you have a rather unusual driving type there. Short trips without having the engine warmed up for a extended period of time kill oil life because gas and water...etc dont boil off from the oil. so it accumulates. But if youre driving a decent 20-30min on the highway relatively often in your drive cycle (50/50) then youre probably ok there.

To be honest, i would just change the oil after a year. If you want to see if youre changing the oil too often, send a sample into this place and see what they think
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

The lab is really the only way to know for sure. Otherwise all we can go off of is what people think is ok...which isn't backed by data. Its just a combination of thoughts that accumulate in everyones minds based on advertising, experiences, things they heard...etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
thechoson
Enlisted Member

Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjlv View Post
you have a rather unusual driving type there. Short trips without having the engine warmed up for a extended period of time kill oil life because gas and water...etc dont boil off from the oil. so it accumulates. But if youre driving a decent 20-30min on the highway relatively often in your drive cycle (50/50) then youre probably ok there.

To be honest, i would just change the oil after a year. If you want to see if youre changing the oil too often, send a sample into this place and see what they think
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

The lab is really the only way to know for sure. Otherwise all we can go off of is what people think is ok...which isn't backed by data. Its just a combination of thoughts that accumulate in everyones minds based on advertising, experiences, things they heard...etc.
I live in a big city, so most of the time I start up the car I'm looking at about a 20-30 min trip, except a lot of that may be sitting in traffic .

I think I'll just go ahead and do it every year.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
ThEnder
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i 6MT

I would do 7,500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.
Appreciate 0