E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > BMW shop in Kitchener/Waterloo? Scan tool?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
nanotech
New Member
 
Drives: 08 135i SGM M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

BMW shop in Kitchener/Waterloo? Scan tool?

Hey all, just moved to K/W. Looking for a good indie shop and also wouldn't mind finding someone local with a scan tool, need to recode a battery replacement. Any suggestions most welcome!

I see we have no official owners thread for this area
nanotech is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
zuluZero
Lieutenant
 
zuluZero's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 e90 330i sport BSM
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: KW, ON

Posts: 437
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanotech View Post
Hey all, just moved to K/W. Looking for a good indie shop and also wouldn't mind finding someone local with a scan tool, need to recode a battery replacement. Any suggestions most welcome!

I see we have no official owners thread for this area
Roman at AutoCube on Victoria has some BMW experience (I believe he was a dealer tech back in the e46 days). Not sure if he does the battery coding.

You can also try Jason at Foreign Automotive near Strausburg & Bleams, who is mostly an Audi/VW guy, but has started some code work for BMW too.

For the battery, I just got mine done at the dealer, because it wasn't that big of a price difference vs. running around.
__________________
102% OE: Blacklines, Perf Exhaust, M3 Steering Wheel, Blackout grill
zuluZero is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
farbmw
Brigadier General
 
farbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335IS waiting for M4
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 3,648
iTrader: (10)

I am in Guelph working nights this weekend, I have not done a battery replacement but willing to try and see if the BT tool can do it.
__________________
Have BT Tool professional, will scan and clear codes on your BMW. And now I am able to code my 2011 335is!
farbmw is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
nanotech
New Member
 
Drives: 08 135i SGM M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys. Looks like the battery itself is a pricey enough item that I might as well just hit up the dealer . Appreciate the shop recommendations and offers for assistance though!
nanotech is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
Zero_09
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton

Posts: 463
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanotech View Post
Thanks guys. Looks like the battery itself is a pricey enough item that I might as well just hit up the dealer . Appreciate the shop recommendations and offers for assistance though!
I got quoted $311 + taxes to do the battery replacement at BMW Mississauga. I was debating about it but since you've done some looking around and if it ain't saving that much than I might as well get it done at the dealer.

Just curious about the price for the battery when you were shopping around?
Zero_09 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
nanotech
New Member
 
Drives: 08 135i SGM M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_09 View Post
I got quoted $311 + taxes to do the battery replacement at BMW Mississauga. I was debating about it but since you've done some looking around and if it ain't saving that much than I might as well get it done at the dealer.

Just curious about the price for the battery when you were shopping around?
Well, I haven't looked that hard to be honest; after looking in the trunk (I have a 1-series, just squatting here... not sure if E90 has trunk battery) and looking at the installation mount and distribution block, venting, etc I realized it wasn't as simple as just unhooking/hooking up new one. Mix in the recoding and I am approaching my threshold of tolerance for DIY.

Canadian Tire (who I've used for Audi replacement batteries for years, with success) has a replacement for $200-ish (AGM technology, parameters look fine) but I'm not positive it fits in the mount properly and vents properly. By the time I add in labour for install and recoding I'm sure I'd be near $300 anyways, plus the potential hassle of swapping it and finding it doesn't fit.

There are cheaper options listed but I don't think they are sufficient for the vehicle.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mo...p.0104920.html
This is the one I was looking at.
nanotech is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
jheath
Private
 
Drives: '15 X3 28d
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Posts: 88
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluZero View Post
Roman at AutoCube on Victoria has some BMW experience (I believe he was a dealer tech back in the e46 days). Not sure if he does the battery coding.

You can also try Jason at Foreign Automotive near Strausburg & Bleams, who is mostly an Audi/VW guy, but has started some code work for BMW too.

For the battery, I just got mine done at the dealer, because it wasn't that big of a price difference vs. running around.
Hey OP, pretty sure Roman can do this for you. Really decent guy, knows these cars pretty good.
jheath is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
nanotech
New Member
 
Drives: 08 135i SGM M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Thanks sir, the battery has been behaving better in the recent milder temps, but will give him a call after xmas break.

For the record, though Canadian Tire sells the battery and notes the car requires coding to install it, but they won't do it; asked a couple of them when I was in picking up shovels and salt over the last week.

Not that I'd ever let CT touch my car
nanotech is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
kitchener waterloo scan tool shop

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST