E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Rear Side Fins

08-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
Theconnman2
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Alpine White

DIY: Rear Side Fins

Alright, so there are options out there for side fins but all were a little to much money for what you are getting so I set out to make my own.

I started out at Home Depot and found Shelving materials that looked somewhat the shape I was going for.

I lined it up on my car to see where the holes would be to mount it, I used the two screws towards the middle of the car. once you know where you want it, mark on the metal where the bolts are going to be.

Once you have that mark a half inch to both sides of the dot you placed for the screw, this gives the washer a little more to grab onto when we cut the unused half of the bracket off...

On the picture above you can see my cutting line down the whole length of the metal, I cut on that line for the whole thing EXCEPT where you have the 1" area by the bolts. In this area make a perpendicular cut into the unused half of the metal and go 1/4 past the 90 degree bend in the metal, creating a tab.

Now place it on a hard surface and hamper the tabs you made so they are flat.

Drill a hole in the middle of the tabs for the screws to go through, The washers may also need to be trimmed to fit.

At this point is hound bolt up to the car and what you do with it from here is up to you. I rounded off the edge that is towards the back of the car and painted them Satin Black to match my diffuser.

I Spent less than $15 on everything for this, if you have any questions let me know!
Appreciate 0