E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > To go H&R Race or not to go?

09-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
jm3as
Brigadier General

Drives: 2007 e92 328i

To go H&R Race or not to go?

current set up:

Koni FSD7 shocks/struts
H&R Sports

This is my daily driver, however, i wish the front could drop a bit more. Being that it is my daily driver, i'm balancing between looks and comfort. i'm very very happy with the way the sports feel, curious if anyone here thinks i should go race or keep it as is. Curious how harsh the ride will get also being on konis.

Current setup and wheels.

Thanks for any input

facebook.com/jmeasphotography | jmeas.4ormat.com | IG: jmeasphotography
      09-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Gjm127
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 BMW E92

Garage List
2009 BMW E92  [4.83]
Stay right where you are. I'm with Sports too. Just got my 10mm spacers installed and can't possibly think how uncomfortable it would be if I were on Race springs.
Plus, it looks right-on perfect with this setup. The race would be too low and IMO looks Civic-ish.
Gjm127 is offline   United_States
      09-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
jm3as
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm127 View Post
Stay right where you are. I'm with Sports too. Just got my 10mm spacers installed and can't possibly think how uncomfortable it would be if I were on Race springs.
Plus, it looks right-on perfect with this setup. The race would be too low and IMO looks Civic-ish.
hmm, okay, that's what i'm thinking. i just am a bit bothered as to how the aero lip kind of scoops upward at the bottom, making the front look even higher. if i can find a good splitter lip to put under it, maybe it may even it out a bit

09-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Gjm127
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 BMW E92

Garage List
2009 BMW E92  [4.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm3as View Post
hmm, okay, that's what i'm thinking. i just am a bit bothered as to how the aero lip kind of scoops upward at the bottom, making the front look even higher. if i can find a good splitter lip to put under it, maybe it may even it out a bit
Yeah go for the splitter lip.
Don't mess with your suspension, it looks perfect the way it is
Gjm127 is offline   United_States
      09-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
CJ421
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
The Koni FSD dampers are not designed for H&R Sport springs as it is. With H&R Race you'll essentially be riding the bumpstops resulting in an unpleasant ride and the handling will suffer tremendously. I don't know of a damper that provides enough travel with H&R Race springs.

Agreed that the ride height you have now ... enjoy it. The car looks really good as-is but that's my opinion.
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is offline   United_States
      09-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
jm3as
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
The Koni FSD dampers are not designed for H&R Sport springs as it is. With H&R Race you'll essentially be riding the bumpstops resulting in an unpleasant ride and the handling will suffer tremendously. I don't know of a damper that provides enough travel with H&R Race springs.

Agreed that the ride height you have now ... enjoy it. The car looks really good as-is but that's my opinion.
yea everyone was saying koni yellows, but i grabbed a great deal on both. and the ride and handling is very smooth and very similiar to my oem sport suspension. yea looks like i may just leave the susp as it is. i'm really in between doing a lip and not doing one. i feel the front end just sits unusually high, and maybe a lip will help bring the front body down a bit.

09-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
jm3as
Brigadier General

thoughts on a lip like this?

09-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
jm3as
Brigadier General

another angle.

thoughts?

09-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
CJ421
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
It will look more aggressive but you're gonna scrape. Almost guaranteed even if you're careful.

M-tech front bumper on the other hand ...
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is offline   United_States
      09-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
Game
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 335i

I personally like your height, I think it matches your new wheels. A little more conservative, but just right. But I mean lower does usually look better (and who am I to talk being really low), so if your roads/area allows for it, I'd do it. Sorry for the flip flopping answer.

As for the lip, I liked the first shot but I wasn't a fan of the second pic. Seems like it sticks out a little too much up front.
      09-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #11
arrjaaayy24
Private

Drives: 328i

whats the drop you are on with those h&r sports?
      09-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
AWD Addict
Chief Executive

Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm127 View Post
Car looks great. Don't change a thing. Plus, the ride will feel like your wheels are welded to the frame.

Don't turn your car into a honda.

Also, are you sure you're riding on FSDs? I know that's kind of a silly question, but those are for stock height springs. not lowering springs. You're going to be riding outside of the damper's optimal valving zones, which is going to screw up the handling.

I have a friend with an e92 on yellows and H&R sports, and his car is lower than yours. The rear is tucked, and the front is almost tucked. It looks slammed. I'm not a fan. Looks like a civic with cut springs, not an ultimate driving machine.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 09-27-2012 at 09:59 AM.
      09-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
jm3as
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrjaaayy24 View Post
whats the drop you are on with those h&r sports?
it took me down about 3/4-1" all around. but thats from an already low oem sports drop from the factory. i think from stock height it takes you down around 1.2"

09-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
jm3as
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Car looks great. Don't change a thing. Plus, the ride will feel like your wheels are welded to the frame.

Don't turn your car into a honda.

Also, are you sure you're riding on FSDs? I know that's kind of a silly question, but those are for stock height springs. not lowering springs. You're going to be riding outside of the damper's optimal valving zones, which is going to screw up the handling.

I have a friend with an e92 on yellows and H&R sports, and his car is lower than yours. The rear is tucked, and the front is almost tucked. It looks slammed. I'm not a fan. Looks like a civic with cut springs, not an ultimate driving machine.
hmm, so he has sports too but with yellows and its slammed? i thought the race drop makes it slammed

09-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
matteucciE92
Private First Class

Drives: e92 black

How do you like the FSD on the performance side? Are they a lot better the OEM sport? And why did u pick h&r over eibach
      09-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
jm3as
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteucciE92 View Post
How do you like the FSD on the performance side? Are they a lot better the OEM sport? And why did u pick h&r over eibach
i know many don't say they dont pair nicely, but the handling and responsiveness was a big step up from my sports drop from the factory. as for the ride comfort, i would say it went from an 9 to an 8. obviously riding lower, you feel a bit more, but the cabin noise is just as quiet, and its my daily driver, i'm always with a fully loaded car/or with customers i pick up at the airport and many of them think its lowered "from the factory". its not rough or loud at all

i was looking at eibach but H&R just has a longer rep with me. my brother use to always go H&R on his old 97 integra, his gs430, and now his m3s. he's had great experiences with them, so i thought if it ain't broke dont fix it. keep the trend going