E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Recomended replacement battery?

10-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #23
MB330
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [5.00]
2013 F30 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gindajatt1 View Post
bro I think that dude is trying to rip you off, I went to Classic BMW Dealership here in Plano TX I got it for $175.00 and I had one of my friends who works one German cars install it for $25.00. not BSing
I believe you, I knew Plano dealership. Leave in Richardson for 2 yrs.
And I knew this guy for 6 yrs., he never rip me off, he did some replasment by warranty, that I even don't ask ( driver door handle paint was pilling off).
I will check with few more dealership in LA, even call back to my parts department and ask by part number.

Thank for quick replay!
      10-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #24
Frosty
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ordered my E92 (7/10/06)

I replaced my battery personally around 120,000 MILES ( car in Sig) ..

61-21-7-586-962 (OEM EXIDE) $199+tx

I bought the part at a dealer and installed myself
335i Coupe (6MT) (2007: 9/06 build, pre ordered, only owner): Space Grey / Black Leatherette / Grey Poplar trim / ZCW / ZSP / BMW assist w/ bluetooth / power rear shade / navi with iDrive / comfort access keyless entry /+homelink mirror/ 185,000+miles (Nov-25-2014)
.................................................. ......................
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #25
MB330
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [5.00]
2013 F30 320i  [0.00]
I was hoping that battery will run for another 2 weeks and will take care of it when we get back from anniversary trip.
MF had his own opinion about that and died today on Ralph's parking lot.
Ask coworker to take me to Center BMW and get new battery, get back to Ralph's parking lot and before he jump start me - try start on my own. It did, so I moved car to my office building underground parking - better than Ralph's IMHO.
Hope it start after 5 pm and I get home and change battery. This MF is heavy.

Edit: Car started, get home and change battery using tutorial from this web site. After battery changed all setting is there, only clock need to be setup again.

Last edited by MB330; 10-11-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #26
crashoverride
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

SO I'm looking to replace my 2006 e90 330i battery

I have the white 61 21 6 946 334 which is now sold as 61217586962

group size 94R

Question being is that an AGM battery or not?

Tischer looks like best deal even compared to local dealership $205. and local battery stores averaging $189-ish

At least with the Tischer it's the straight up factory battery
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #27
AllBlackBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
SO I'm looking to replace my 2006 e90 330i battery

I have the white 61 21 6 946 334 which is now sold as 61217586962

group size 94R

Question being is that an AGM battery or not?

Tischer looks like best deal even compared to local dealership $205. and local battery stores averaging $189-ish

At least with the Tischer it's the straight up factory battery

How much is it to ship a battery from tischer? Those things are freaking heavy and might cancel out any savings on the actual battery.

Last edited by AllBlackBimmer; 11-05-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #28
crashoverride
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You would think a heavy battery would be über expensive to ship however they're only charging $14.00 to anywhere in US. So $163 plus $14 shipping makes it $177.00 shipped vs my two local dealers both charging $204.00

Hell they ship it and some delivery guy even schleps it up my driveway and I don't have to drive across town and wait for the one parts guy to get off the phone type up a three page receipt... And I save money and its an OEM part. This is quickly becoming a no-brainer (since I'm not in a hurry)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #29
crashoverride
Second Lieutenant
Rep

P.S. the above battery is not an AGM battery. I'm told AGM batteries are black non-AGM batteries are white. Typically the AGM is found in the 335

AGM are nice as they're sealed however there more expensive and don't last as long. However the lifespan won't be much of an issue unless you plan on keeping your car another four or seven years
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #30
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

I have a few questions:

1. can these batteries be taken out of our cars and charged like how normal gel car batteries are taken out and charged at auto parts stores?

2. lets say my oem battery dies, I go to get a new batt; a) how do I get it fully charged before putting it into my car and b) do I need to get it 'coded'?

3. Lets say I wanted to upgrade to a braille battery, do I need to get that coded?

4. can I 'code' this myself?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #31
crashoverride
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The battery is very heavy and not easy to pop in and out with more wires than imaged draped around in weird ways.

New batteries are sold charged already

You can code it yourself if you have the special software and an obd2 cable/dongle not something for a casual faint of heart person to do. Coding was designed for a BMW or other technician to do and not an option for the driver/owner to do without speacilized equipment. There are write ups on how to do it on your own if you wish to research and attempt on own

Although someone did say something funny. Battery will still work and charge. Albeit it may diminish the lifespan of the battery.... And the cost to register is almost the same cost as a new battery. So even if you worst case only get three years instead of six you still come out even.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #32
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswhatsh3said View Post
I have a few questions:

1. can these batteries be taken out of our cars and charged like how normal gel car batteries are taken out and charged at auto parts stores?

2. lets say my oem battery dies, I go to get a new batt; a) how do I get it fully charged before putting it into my car and b) do I need to get it 'coded'?

3. Lets say I wanted to upgrade to a braille battery, do I need to get that coded?

4. can I 'code' this myself?
1. Yes, but its a hassle to take out.

2. New batteries come charged. You will need to get it registered.

3. Yes.

4. Yes, if you have the proper coding cable and software.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #33
MR. BONEZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335I 6MT

I can get a OEM straight from exide cause them batteries are made here where I live, and I know a few people that work there so I can get hooked up when the time comes for me to replace mine
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #34
335iaz
Cause their greeaaaaat!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: SBM E90 335i

Send a message via AIM to 335iaz
btw, tischer will not ship the battery so good luck there!
      02-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #35
Bonifaxio
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330Xi Sedan

I have the original battery in my 2006 330Xi which needs to be replaced. I have a white 61216946334 (new part: 61217586962).
I've been trying to find a better deal than the local stealership. Best thing so far was tischer but when I placed the order, they canceled it the next day as they can't ship it due to it being hazardous.
My friend can get Interstate batteries at cost but can't seem to find the right equivalent. When I use the battery wizard on interstate's website, it comes up with a smaller battery. It doesn't ask me if I have iDrive, etc, or not.
Anyone know how I can be 100% sure I have the correct replacement?
I'm going to call them but I feel as though they wont be that knowledgeable (AGM or not, etc.)

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #36
ctuna
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Interstate mtp/h8 at 95 ah

Interstate mtp/h8 at 95 ah
That's what my indy put in mine not sure if its group 92 or 49 size
but I am sure its and H8. Basicly the largest that they have I think.
It seemed to be the same size exactly as what came out.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #37
Bonifaxio
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330Xi Sedan

Ctuna, so you have the bigger one?
You think you could find out what the exact model number is?
I decided to browse interstate's site instead of using the wizard and found this...

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...on+1_L6%2f3.0L)

Looks more like my size battery.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #38
bender rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Listen go to NAPA auto and get their battery. It is 119.99 and is made by the same company who makes BMW OEM.. Or go to autozone durlast which is made by Johnson control.. Only 3 companines make batteries.. The batteries come with 3 year warranties. So you really don't have too much to lose.. Worst case you end up with a bad cell or something which would be covered by the warranty.. It is not a life or death part really.

Don't even pay an indy for this.. For the install price you can buy a cable and get free easy to use software to reg the battery.. Takes 2 min and is two bolts.. 3rd hand helps to hold the terminal thing on top out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:55 AM   #39
ctuna
Brigadier General
Rep

megatron plus 49/h8 100ah is what says.

megatron plus 49/h8 100ah is what says.
Right on top of the battery.
Interstate battery 3 year warranty.
Also the smaller the H number the less capacity
I deduced.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #40
Verbatim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
I bought the cable to register my battery, but it was faulty. never got around to ordering another cable, and now it's been about two months with my battery unregistered.
What have I noticed? The car still shuts the radio/idrive off after 10-15 minutes. When i first got the car, i could sit for an hour or two without it shutting off.
Seems like the car adapted to preserving my dying battery, but now that I have replaced the battery, the car is still assuming that it needs to take measures to protect its charge level.

I'm no engineer, but charging a battery is rather simple. I do not think there are "serious dangerous" effects to not registering the battery.
I'm wondering if it is too late to register now.. I'll order the cable soon if it isn't, instead of waiting until I am out of CPO warranty (1 year, 2 months left).

2008 BMW 335i Sedan | Sparkling Graphite | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Logic7
Golf Tee | M3 Spoiler | LED Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Resonator Delete | Black Kidney Grills | Black Finisher Rods | 35%/18% Tint |12mm/20mm (F/R) Spacers | Black Lines

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #41
ctuna
Brigadier General
Rep

Get the cable and a battery tender.

Get the cable and a battery tender
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #42
Surly73
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i 6MT sport/prem

1/ "Dealer" batteries are not the same as "factory" batteries. Generally the North American dealer network batteries aren't as good. (based on past experience with other BMW models, not E90 specifically)

2/ There are only a small handful of true battery manufacturers, and even in the last couple of years there have been a lot of acquisitions and mergers. All of the "store brands" could be any one of these. Different sizes might be different brands. The store/label may change brands from year to year. To choose a quality battery you need to know who actually made it. Some of the major manufacturers are Johnson Controls, Exide, East Penn/Deka. Past experience and research has indicated to avoid Exide. Johnson Controls are very often quality units, Kirkland and Interstate and a lot of what I've seen at Walmart are JCI. East Penn/Deka seem to make some of the best batteries and they have an "exact fit" OEM line (see http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0379.pdf). I put a group 49 Deka OEM flooded battery in my E39 after hassle with multiple JCI batteries leaking in my trunk. My E90 had a Deka 9AGM49 installed this summer.

3/ AGM is more expensive, but superior in several ways - leak proof (no liquid), better low temperature performance, better resistance to damage from being run down (traditional lead-acid batteries will sulphate if state of charge drops below 80%), better cold temperature performance. You *MUST* code your car for AGM if you install an AGM battery because the charging strategy is different and AGM chemistry has a lower maximum charge voltage than flooded lead-acid.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #43
AllBlackBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim View Post
I bought the cable to register my battery, but it was faulty. never got around to ordering another cable, and now it's been about two months with my battery unregistered.
What have I noticed? The car still shuts the radio/idrive off after 10-15 minutes. When i first got the car, i could sit for an hour or two without it shutting off.
Seems like the car adapted to preserving my dying battery, but now that I have replaced the battery, the car is still assuming that it needs to take measures to protect its charge level.

I'm no engineer, but charging a battery is rather simple. I do not think there are "serious dangerous" effects to not registering the battery.
I'm wondering if it is too late to register now.. I'll order the cable soon if it isn't, instead of waiting until I am out of CPO warranty (1 year, 2 months left).
Please just register your battery. Do it ASAP.

it may be OK "for now", but I am telling you that you WILL regret this if you don't do it properly and take the time.

BTW, as a note, I am the OP, and after all that, I ended up going to the stealership for a battery... My indy wanted $325 and the stealer wanted $350... i figured just take it to the dealer, i got my car scanned for free as well while it was there. and is nice to build a relationship with your local dealer when someone goes completely wrong, you can atleast be like, well I come here ALL the time (meaning, I spend my MONEY here all the time) so hopefully they treat you a little nicer - My local dealer is top notch too, one of the top BMW dealers in USA... supposedly
      02-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #44
bender rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
1/ "Dealer" batteries are not the same as "factory" batteries. Generally the North American dealer network batteries aren't as good. (based on past experience with other BMW models, not E90 specifically)

2/ There are only a small handful of true battery manufacturers, and even in the last couple of years there have been a lot of acquisitions and mergers. All of the "store brands" could be any one of these. Different sizes might be different brands. The store/label may change brands from year to year. To choose a quality battery you need to know who actually made it. Some of the major manufacturers are Johnson Controls, Exide, East Penn/Deka. Past experience and research has indicated to avoid Exide. Johnson Controls are very often quality units, Kirkland and Interstate and a lot of what I've seen at Walmart are JCI. East Penn/Deka seem to make some of the best batteries and they have an "exact fit" OEM line (see http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0379.pdf). I put a group 49 Deka OEM flooded battery in my E39 after hassle with multiple JCI batteries leaking in my trunk. My E90 had a Deka 9AGM49 installed this summer.

3/ AGM is more expensive, but superior in several ways - leak proof (no liquid), better low temperature performance, better resistance to damage from being run down (traditional lead-acid batteries will sulphate if state of charge drops below 80%), better cold temperature performance. You *MUST* code your car for AGM if you install an AGM battery because the charging strategy is different and AGM chemistry has a lower maximum charge voltage than flooded lead-acid.

I really wanted to go Deka exact fit import.. Deka is the best used them on my jet ski and the ski cranked with the battery in water lol. Only reason I didn't is it was AGM and I didn't want to have it codded. So just went JC.. I will have to keep an eye on it and see if it leaks
Appreciate 0