E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Option 6NR Mobile Application Preparation now available

04-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
graham999au
Private First Class

Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Option 6NR Mobile Application Preparation now available

Just a heads up that this option can be ordered from this month (March). It allows iDrive to be used for Facebook, Twitter etc plus web radio stations. You need Professional Nav (609), bluetooth prep (644), USB audio (6FL) and extended music connectivity (6NF) as pre-requisites for this option. Uses iPhone and an iPhone app from iTunes. Price is around $800 inc taxes.
More info here http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484877
Just ordered it with my new car
2011 E92 335i M Sport Coupe/DCT/Black Sapphire/Oyster/Bamboo Grain/Sunroof/OEM Performance Exhaust/Individual Audio/Heated Seats/TV/Folding Mirrors/6FL iPod/6NF Extended Connectivity/Internet/ACS Roof spoiler/ACS Aluminium Peddles
graham999au is offline   Australia
      04-20-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
gobobbie
Private

Drives: E93 320D LCI

Just be warned that there are problems with BMW's implementation of 'internet in-car'. This has been offered since September production last year, and my car was one of the first in the country with this feature. Arrived in November and still this has not been enabled. Apparently the problem lies with BMW Australia and telcos.

So, basically, I would ensure the sales assistant can guarantee the in-car internet will be up and running before you spend $800 on a feature that won't work on your car...

Also, you will need the snap-in adapter for the iPhone for this to work, and they have not been available in Australia, at least from my dealership. They are now saying 3rd quarter this year, in which case the iPhone 4 will be likely replaced with iPhone 5. I would raise these issues and see the response from your dealership - maybe negotiate that you won't be charged for the option if it's not available when the car arrives.

hope this helps!
gobobbie is offline   Australia
      04-20-2011, 04:29 AM   #3
Drew335
Private First Class

Drives: BMW F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobobbie View Post
Also, you will need the snap-in adapter for the iPhone for this to work, and they have not been available in Australia, at least from my dealership.
I've had a snap-in adaptor since January for the iPhone 4 which I bought from the dealership, unless the version for this application is different?
Drew335 is offline   Australia
      04-20-2011, 04:39 AM   #4
gobobbie
Private

Drives: E93 320D LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew335 View Post
I've had a snap-in adaptor since January for the iPhone 4 which I bought from the dealership, unless the version for this application is different?
Apparently there are different adapters - including a 'media' adapter that is relevant depending on which options you have - all very confusing.

Last edited by gobobbie; 05-06-2011 at 04:32 AM.
gobobbie is offline   Australia
      04-20-2011, 04:47 AM   #5
Drew335
Private First Class

Drives: BMW F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobobbie View Post
Apparently there are different adapters - including a 'media' adapter that is relevant depending on which options you have - all very confusing. All I know is I've been asking BMW Melbourne every month for updates and I've been told the correct adapter is not available for my car (extended connectivity, blutooth, professional nav, combox etc)...

I still think it's inappropriate for BMW to sell the 'internet' feature as an option when they are six months in and it's not available in Australia (despite the press-releases issued in July '10)....
I've got the snap-in adapter 'basic' which is part 84 21 2 199 389

When I ordered mine they asked which one I wanted, I went the basic as nobody could tell me what the media version offered. Seems the 6NR and related features answers that question!

Agree re inappropriate, have a friend with an LCI 335 where these features are inoperable. What's the point offering them if it takes this long...
Drew335 is offline   Australia
      04-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
GT1977
Private

Drives: 2009 335i DCT

To be fair to BMW, it's not their fault, as it is a telco issue. You would be pissed if you declined the option as it doesn't currently work and then, say, next month it was activated after the car was delivered.

I'm not a telco expert but I think it is similar to tethering and the new iPhone personal hot spot function - the telcos allow its use, but they didn't have to. They probably offer it free of charge as so many people have iPhones now. But only a small number of customers have a car capable of that service.

That said, I like the suggestion of trying to get BMW to refund the option cost if it doesn't work, say, in 6 months.
      05-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #7
TaylorA
Private First Class

Drives: 08 E92 335

Have there been any more announcements re this? I'm sure as hell not going to buy something that doesn't (and won't) work!
      05-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #8
GT1977
Private

Drives: 2009 335i DCT

There was an article in the past few days (might have been a link on their Facebook page) - but I can't remember exactly where. It was saying that BMW was highly critical of Australian design rules. They cited the restriction against in-car internet that they have had to strip out of the new 6 series and they also spoke about Australia's lack of support for the Isofix child restraint system.

I suppose that if the in-car internet available as an option for the 3 series is the same one as in the new 6 series (probably is) then I'd say it is not a short term issue. the issue seems to be the 'can't use it when the car is moving' thing.

I think it also said that the 6 series bound for Australia has a higher ride height than the rest of the world which adds to their production costs as it requires more work and suspension re-design.
      08-17-2011, 02:13 AM   #9
graham999au
Private First Class

Drives: E92 335i Coupe

I finally got hold of a Media iPhone snap-in adapter, installed the BMW Connected Drive app on the iPhone, and option 6NR does not work....I get an error in the app when I test the connection between the iPhone and car.

My car definitely has the 6NR option, just wondering whether anyone out there actually has it working???
2011 E92 335i M Sport Coupe/DCT/Black Sapphire/Oyster/Bamboo Grain/Sunroof/OEM Performance Exhaust/Individual Audio/Heated Seats/TV/Folding Mirrors/6FL iPod/6NF Extended Connectivity/Internet/ACS Roof spoiler/ACS Aluminium Peddles
graham999au is offline   Australia
      08-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #10
pcockley
Banned

Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham999au View Post
I finally got hold of a Media iPhone snap-in adapter, installed the BMW Connected Drive app on the iPhone, and option 6NR does not work....I get an error in the app when I test the connection between the iPhone and car.

My car definitely has the 6NR option, just wondering whether anyone out there actually has it working???
Sorry, but fuck I thought a car was for DRIVING not for surfing stalkbook.
      08-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
khuuwey
d.k

Drives: e90

I personally don't know why you would even want to go on twitter or facebook when your in car. & how would you write something on your mind when its programmed in the car and no keyboard ? radther just go on facebook and twitter on your phone.
khuuwey is offline   Australia
      08-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
Rivenscyr
Captain

Drives: muzza-tastic cruiser

only good internet related program/multi media system on a car is
Audi's Google maps GPS service.
Rivenscyr is offline   Australia
      09-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
robertcohen

Drives: E93 320d Convertible

Android Support

I am thinking of getting the 6NR retrofitted as BMW have announce they are writing there apps for the new Samsung S3 and will be available around March 2013.
      09-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
Scootah
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
Sorry, but fuck I thought a car was for DRIVING not for surfing stalkbook.
+1 - im a dinosaur
Scootah is offline   Australia