Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > RFT Failure

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

09-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
Castle
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 BMW 320i

RFT Failure

This morning I noticed this. I admit I have hit a few potholes lately, but nothing too serious. This tire is less than 5k miles old, and yet...
Is this a normal consequence of a pothole?
I'm thinking about switching to non-rft. However, the rear tires are as new as this one and in very good shape. Can I just change the front tires and have non-RFT front and RFT-rear tires?
Also, I'm kind of far from home right now, do you guys think this tire could hold another 100 miles until I get home?

09-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
notan///m
Colonel

Drives: AY F80 (out of the oven)

Garage List
I won't drive with a breach in the sidewall like that. You can try driving around 30-40mph and see what kind of feedback you get. As the tires heat up (especially at the core of the tire with low pressure) I'm not too sure that there will be any structural integrity. Good luck!!

CCA Member

09-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
phillip@bmpdesign
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Nice little flat spot on your wheel now too. I would definitely have that tire removed from the vehicle, it isn't even worth trying to drive on it damaged like that. If the liner is still holding, its a miracle because that is usually stiffer than the rest of the tire sidewall and cracks easier.

We have several customer that switch to non-RFT tires for the lower cost and also exclaim about the lower road noise. Your problem is also a problem that a run flat tire cannot cover, if there is sidewall damage or a blowout then it is pretty much the same as having a regular tire on the vehicle and would need to be towed.

There is some debate on the stiffness of a run flat tire and how it affects handling. The reinforced nature of a run flat tire naturally makes the sidewalls stiffer to give it a more planted and sportier grip. A higher quality performance tire will typically give the same results, but in a less expensive non run flat model.

Whichever you choose to go with, I would try to do it before driving much on that tire. Even a less expensive tire the correct size would be much safer than trying to keep rolling on that one, let alone for 100 miles.
Like us on facebook!
phillip@bmpdesign is offline   United_States
      09-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Castle
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip@bmpdesign View Post
Nice little flat spot on your wheel now too. I would definitely have that tire removed from the vehicle, it isn't even worth trying to drive on it damaged like that. If the liner is still holding, its a miracle because that is usually stiffer than the rest of the tire sidewall and cracks easier.

We have several customer that switch to non-RFT tires for the lower cost and also exclaim about the lower road noise. Your problem is also a problem that a run flat tire cannot cover, if there is sidewall damage or a blowout then it is pretty much the same as having a regular tire on the vehicle and would need to be towed.

There is some debate on the stiffness of a run flat tire and how it affects handling. The reinforced nature of a run flat tire naturally makes the sidewalls stiffer to give it a more planted and sportier grip. A higher quality performance tire will typically give the same results, but in a less expensive non run flat model.

Whichever you choose to go with, I would try to do it before driving much on that tire. Even a less expensive tire the correct size would be much safer than trying to keep rolling on that one, let alone for 100 miles.
Undestood. Thanks for your valuable input. Do you think it is bad to have non-RFT on front wheels and RFT on back wheels?
      09-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Coly
Private

Drives: E93

That's some serious damage, I hit a pothole and cracked my alloy but the tire was fine. BMW replaced it free of charge as it warped less than 2mm. That has bent the alloy and gashed the tire, I'd say that you reversed into a kerb at a sharp angle which sliced the tire and bent the wheel rather than falling into a pothole and the wheel rubbing. Ive heard you can't have run flat and non run flat, you could but shouldn't.
Also if you have run flat you've got sensors, yeah you could fudge them but I don't know if you could undo that
      09-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Tom K.
Major General

Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
Undestood. Thanks for your valuable input. Do you think it is bad to have non-RFT on front wheels and RFT on back wheels?
As long as you avoid wet roads, turns, speeds of 30 mph and emergency situations, you'll be fine.

Seriously, don't attempt it as the radically different sidewall constructions can result in dangerous handling.

Tom
Tom K. is offline   United_States
      09-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Castle
Second Lieutenant

Ok, thanks everyone. I bit the bullet and got a pair of Goodyear RFT. To my surprise, the cheapest I could find were at a BMW dealer (US$ 185) ...go figure...I hear Goodyear RFT are not very good, but I don't think the Continental I had were any better...
      09-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
phillip@bmpdesign
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
Ok, thanks everyone. I bit the bullet and got a pair of Goodyear RFT. To my surprise, the cheapest I could find were at a BMW dealer (US$ 185) ...go figure...I hear Goodyear RFT are not very good, but I don't think the Continental I had were any better...
You would be correct on both counts

As far as run flat and non run flat tires on different axles, I've had experience with that situation with no real difference in handling, especially with the run flats on the back and non run flats on the front. I've also dealt with several customers in that situation, with a difference in handling, but nothing dangerous that would drastically affect driveability. It is essentially like having a T or H performance rated tire on the front and a Z rated tire on the back. Run flat tire sidewalls still have a bit of flex and will still compress under load, such as turning or if underinflated, but not as much as non run flat tires.
Like us on facebook!
phillip@bmpdesign is offline   United_States
      09-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
The Wildcard
Private

Drives: 335i

Yikes, damm potholes. I have to admit once I picked up my BMW, every road is treated like a minefield. Constant scanning.